• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Man kills Franconia Police Officer, Passerby kills Man.

Started by lowen, June 26, 2007, 06:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lowen

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Police+cruiser+video+shows+last+moments+before+officer's+death&articleId=336d25d4-2c18-4b5b-9c47-b2879e801ea8#video

When a maniac was pulled over by a police office, the maniac decided to shoot the officer and run him over several times. A passerby, an ex-marine convicted for selling marijuana and attempting to knee a police officer, grabs the officer's gun and shoots the maniac twice. After hearing his story and reviewing the cruiser's videotape, the hero was "absolved of any wrongdoing."

Quote"The state ruled Floyd was justified in using deadly force against Kenney and will not face criminal charges even though -- as a convicted felon -- he could potentially face charges for grabbing both McKay's and Kenney's weapons."

Lloyd Danforth

Everything I have heard about that cop and his killer leads me to believe we are better off without them.  I can't believe how casually the cop sprays the pepper spray and walks away.   Surprise!

It looks as if the cop killer is about to drive away in the video.  Did the last guy to shoot chase him down?  Was the LGTS  in any danger?

lowen

From what I read, the shooter only wounded the cop. When he pulled away, as far as I've read, he proceeded to run the cop over! The hero saw it from across the street with his son and came to the cop's aide. He picked up the officer's gun, checked to see if it's loaded, and then shot the driver twice (all in, he says, 4 seconds).

Why didn't the officer have a partner, and why the hell did he turn his back on him?

Lloyd Danforth

Small town and the cop thought he had the monopoly on violence.

lowen

The state ruled that the police officer's peppering was reasonable based on the asshole's driving.

QuoteThe state also ruled Kenney, who did not have a license to carry a concealed weapon, was not justified in using deadly force -- his gun and car -- against McKay. It also ruled that McKay's actions during the traffic stop on Route 116 constituted a reasonable use of non-deadly force by a law enforcement officer.

lowen

He peppered the passenger as well.

Quotethe officer walking up to Liko Kenney's car and quickly pepper-spraying Kenney and his passenger

Fortunately for the hero, Mr. Floyd, the passenger wasn't also armed.

Lloyd Danforth

I'm not yet clear on why is the guy a hero.  Did he stop any further loss of life?  Did he engage the bad guy in a gun battle or shoot him as he tried to get away?

lowen

The officer was not yet dead, and the shooter had reloaded his gun with intent to use it again. The article also mentions the killer had a violent past and even told a police officer that he hated the Franconia police and would "take things into his own hands." He even mentioned the cop whom he killed by name (as they had a fallout in 2003). Who knows how many people this man planned on killing.

lildog

Did any one else notice that the camera is set at an angle so you can't see the officer.  I wonder if that was done on purpose?

lowen

It's a cruiser cam. It's mounted on the car, and was positioned forward so it can record police pull-overs.

ny2nh

I watched the YouTube videos, including the 2003 incident, and I think that Kenney - the guy who murdered the cop - was a problem from the get go. When he was pulled over this year, he fled, he was pursued, he fled again, he was pursued and stopped. Because of past incidents, the cop pepper sprayed him immediately. Kenney had already put the lives of himself, the cop and Kenney's passenger at risk by fleeing from the cop - never mind any other people on the road at the time. I do agree that the cop should never have turned his back on Kenney - but he probably never figured the idiot would shoot him! After unloading an entire clip at the cop, Kenney ran over him twice leaving the cop pinned under the car. Floyd who has been described as a loner who lived on the edge of town who might be considered by some to be far from the perfect town resident, stopped, retrieved the cop's gun, told Kenney to put the gun down or die, and when Kenney refused, he shot and killed him. I think he did the right thing.

As far as why was this cop alone - there are very few cops in that area - so I'm guessing they are always alone. Even Manchester's cops are usually riding alone.

If nothing else, I am glad that the officer's family will not have to go through a trial and relive this nightmare over and over again.

Lloyd Danforth

At the end of the video, it appears the guy who shot was moving the car to get away, which wouldn't pose a threat against Floyd, although if getting away meant running over a wounded cop, I guess he did the right thing.  As an armed fugitive, I agree, there is no telling what he might have done.

Kat Kanning

I'm guessing there was no real need to pull the guy over in the first place - some traffic stop?

KBCraig

A friend and I have discussed this whole case in detail, back to the 2003 incident. He agrees with me that McKay's badge-heavy attitude contributed directly to his own death.

My buddy is no cop-hater... he has been a cop for 30 years, and is director of the police academy for a major statewide agency in Texas. But he understands the difference between "law enforcement officer", and "peace officer". He also understands that even nutjobs with anger management problems have the right to be left alone, and that poking a wildcat with a stick is a good way to get scratched.

I bet if you could ask McKay right now, he'd agree he could have avoid this whole downward spiral if he'd handled that 2003 stop differently. If he'd just left it at a "welfare check" on a motorist stopped in a snowstorm, asked Kenney if he needed a ride or assistance, then wished him well and gone on his way, I imagine both lives would have been very different over the ensuing four years.

Kevin