• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

18 is the new 16

Started by Spencer, June 27, 2007, 09:13 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on June 27, 2007, 10:53 PM NHFT
Yes, 18 is the new 16.

A Master's is the new Bachelor's.

A Bachelor's is the new HS diploma.

A HS diploma is the new 8th grade education.

It is no coincidence that the longer children and teens are forced to sit through spirit-stifling mandatory education, they lose some of the best, most creative years of their lives.

Sometimes I find that a 1967' GED is on par with today's Doctorates ;D

forsytjr

Quote from: toowm on June 28, 2007, 08:24 AM NHFT
There are already plans at the NH Department of Education to create new regulations for high school homeschoolers, so that the homeschool "exemption" isn't used to circumvent the law.
Do you have some references for that?  This is the suspicion amongst the politically active homeschoolers I know, and if there is some info out there, we'd like to get our hands on it.

mvpel

All this law did was take the parents out of the decision, putting it solely in the hands of bureaucrats and officials.  It's a steaming pile of bull.

toowm

Quote from: BrokenWindow on June 28, 2007, 09:22 AM NHFT
Quote from: toowm on June 28, 2007, 08:24 AM NHFT
There are already plans at the NH Department of Education to create new regulations for high school homeschoolers, so that the homeschool "exemption" isn't used to circumvent the law.
Do you have some references for that?  This is the suspicion amongst the politically active homeschoolers I know, and if there is some info out there, we'd like to get our hands on it.
My understanding is that it was discussed at an HEAC meeting. Minutes are not up yet for June.
http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/doe/organization/accountability/HEAC.htm#Meetings

forsytjr

Quote from: toowm on June 28, 2007, 10:07 AM NHFT
My understanding is that it was discussed at an HEAC meeting. Minutes are not up yet for June.
http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/doe/organization/accountability/HEAC.htm#Meetings
Ah, the people I am in touch with are on that, so they are up to speed.

Otosan

I graduated from HS at 17.... with the new law would I have to stay until I turned 18?

lowen

Quote from: Otosan on June 28, 2007, 03:31 PM NHFT
I graduated from HS at 17.... with the new law would I have to stay until I turned 18?

Yes.

toowm

No, but only with "approval" of the local school district

forsytjr

No.  You stay till 18, OR until you graduate, OR if the district superintendent aproves your alternative education plan, OR you homeschool.   The thing that is scaring homeschoolers is that the 4th option will be used to get around the 3rd option, which could give the state an excuse to crack down on homeschooler of that age.

CNHT

Quote from: BrokenWindow on June 28, 2007, 04:30 PM NHFT
No.  You stay till 18, OR until you graduate, OR if the district superintendent aproves your alternative education plan, OR you homeschool.   The thing that is scaring homeschoolers is that the 4th option will be used to get around the 3rd option, which could give the state an excuse to crack down on homeschooler of that age.

Jim

OH whew! Because I was outta there at 16.. :-)

CaveDog

QuoteIris is a nightmare and will be replaced in '08

I'm about ready to support anyone who opposes her in the next election.

Tyler Stearns

I think spending one day per week going to Concord with the NHLA did me more good than any classroom learning.  It just gets boring sometimes and they don't allow any freedom of choice. 

ny2nh

Quote from: KBCraig on June 27, 2007, 10:53 PM NHFT
Yes, 18 is the new 16.

A Master's is the new Bachelor's.

A Bachelor's is the new HS diploma.

A HS diploma is the new 8th grade education.

It is no coincidence that the longer children and teens are forced to sit through spirit-stifling mandatory education, they lose some of the best, most creative years of their lives.

And sadly, I donlt see people as being any smarter than they were before all of theses changes....

CNHT

Ah but the Demonrats think they done good when they did more damage to NH than anything in 80 years.

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070630/REPOSITORY/706300325/1028/OPINION02

Legislature did much to improve state
Session addressed host of old problems
By Terie Norelli

burnthebeautiful

"Too many of our kids are dropping out of high school, which puts at risk the future of these young people and our state's future economic success," Lynch said.

Why don't they make it illegal for people to move? People moving out of state puts the states economic success at risk too ::)