• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Gyro

Started by cathypeschke, June 28, 2007, 06:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

cathypeschke

Where the Heck can you get a really good fresh off the spit Gyro in New Hamsphire?

mappchik

So, which freestater is going to pull together all the "I miss..." food gripes into one heck of an ecclectic restaurant?

porcupine kate

In moving to New Hampshire I can finally have a decent slice of pizza.  Virginia really suffers from bad pizza.

CNHT

Quote from: Dagny Taggart on June 28, 2007, 06:36 PM NHFT
Where the Heck can you get a really good fresh off the spit Gyro in New Hamsphire?

'Splain to me what a gyro is and I'll tell ya. We prollly call it something different

AntonLee

Quote from: CNHT on June 28, 2007, 10:12 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dagny Taggart on June 28, 2007, 06:36 PM NHFT

'Splain to me what a gyro is and I'll tell ya. We prollly call it something different

If I'm correct that would be a submarine sandwich. . . a sub.  I'll be honest I send my money out of state to Haverhill, MA just over the border. . . Bobo's has really really big subs for $5, and they're delich!

Besides that I'm more seacoast, and I won't spend 10 bucks for a crappy sub at the beach.  (or the 8 hours trying to find a space for 10 minutes)

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on June 28, 2007, 10:12 PM NHFT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyros

Quote from: AntonLee on June 28, 2007, 10:32 PM NHFT
If I'm correct that would be a submarine sandwich. . . a sub.

The "hero sandwich" takes its name from the Gyro (pronounced "year-oh"), so the sub sandwich is a cousin of sorts.

Gyros are good stuff, especially if they're made from slices of whole lamb (instead of processed meat). Love that tzaziki sauce!

CNHT

<--- Has been eating too many Gyros lately.

We have plenty of Subs here in NH.

OK I've been eating too many beef Gyros with great white sauce on them, from this place...

www.pizzabella.net

Henry

Are there any foods, any, which are uniquely NH cuisine? If not, then those among us who cook need to get on with inventing that. Maybe resurrect some colonial recipes with lard or something, I don't know. The more NH culture differentiates itself then the easier it will be to secede some day.

AntonLee

Quote from: Henry on June 28, 2007, 10:58 PM NHFT
Are there any foods, any, which are uniquely NH cuisine? If not, then those among us who cook need to get on with inventing that. Maybe resurrect some colonial recipes with lard or something, I don't know. The more NH culture differentiates itself then the easier it will be to secede some day.

Liberty Lasagna and Freedom Fries (whoops)

I'll wash mine down with a transfat flavored shake.  Then I'll smoke 30 cigarettes in the new non-smoking dining area.

but seriously, Maine has their lobsters. . . I"m not a seafood person but is there a particular shellfish NH can call its own?

Henry

Quote from: AntonLee on June 28, 2007, 11:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: Henry on June 28, 2007, 10:58 PM NHFT

Liberty Lasagna and Freedom Fries (whoops)

I'll wash mine down with a transfat flavored shake.  Then I'll smoke 30 cigarettes in the new non-smoking dining area.

but seriously, Maine has their lobsters. . . I"m not a seafood person but is there a particular shellfish NH can call its own?

This ought to be it! Now we just need to find out if it's edible.

mvpel

We call what most Greek places around here serve "Gyro-umms."  Same basic idea as:

I've been meaning to ask at the Greek Orthodox church in Nashua, but haven't gotten around to it.

CNHT

OK nowhere in the world are lobsters as great as the kind that are in New England...ours are unique. You cannot get them anywhere except on this coast in the upper regions. It's not just Maine, it's most of New England.

That would be my number one local food. The last two times I had an 8 lb and 5 lb...

Other than that NH is a wonderful cosmopolitan mix of ethnic foods...any you could want.

My favorites are anything SUSHI/SHASHIMI (or cooked oriental) and then of course, Italian such as my own lasagna.

If you can cook, you can have it all.

Yum...

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on June 28, 2007, 10:52 PM NHFT
<--- Has been eating too many Gyros lately.

Not according to the menu at that Italian restaurant, you haven't.

Gyros aren't subs. Subs aren't Gyros.

There are some Greek neighborhoods throughout the state. Should be able to find something authentic (as opposed to the fair vendor, "minced and pressed beef and chicken on a rotisserie" version).

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: mvpel on June 28, 2007, 11:11 PM NHFT
We call what most Greek places around here serve "Gyro-umms."  Same basic idea as:

I've been meaning to ask at the Greek Orthodox church in Nashua, but haven't gotten around to it.

Back when I first had a Gyro and was figuring out how to make my own, I thought about Stake'ums, but, never tried them.  I believe the dressing is made with cucumbers.

dEadERest

When I attended the F1 races in Phoenix in '90 and '91, both years there was a greek guy with a Gyro truck under our grandstand. Totally traditional and dee-lish!! We had a few everyday and kept trying to hand one to Paul Gentilozzi as the IMSA pits were right there ;D

Celebrating 10 years in New Hampshire, this Cali native does have some "missing food" issues. But rather than expound on the incredible restaurants of the greater San Francisco bay area I'll just say this. If you are ever in the Silicon Valley, you have to go to Super Taqueria, food of the Azteca gods.
http://www.jatbar.com/reviews/San_Jose/Super_Taqueria.asp
That is all.
Vote Ron Paul!
And thank you Ed and Elaine.