• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FIJA disobedience at courthouse? (fully informed jury)

Started by Dave Ridley, June 29, 2007, 11:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on August 01, 2007, 07:44 PM NHFT
You think the paper will be interested in publishing a picture of someone in a suit?
You guys don't get the visual nature of this work.
During the Real-ID Rally it was Batman that made the front page.
Dada Chewbacca could be a hit on youtube.

You're right.
My focus was on a dozen or so jurors... but this is an issue nobody outside the Movement knows about. As such "Publicity" is the key, not "Credibility".

I'll still wear a suit, but I want to be shaking the Wookie's hand :)

EthanAllen

Quote from: armlaw on August 01, 2007, 06:28 PM NHFT
This is serious business and the jurors must know that they are the ultimate arbiters of both the actions and the law. Jury nullification is a RIGHT and DUTY!  More so, if the statute is overbearing or unjust in the penalty. Accordingly, even if the prosecution proves all elements of the purported crime, the jury may acquit if the penalty for the crime is unjust. See New Hampshire Bill of Rights for protection against unjust penalties.

I was wondering if you might be so inclined to point me towards more information (if you have any) about the importance of a deliberative body (like juries) within the civic republicanism tradition?

KBCraig

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: d_goddard on August 02, 2007, 09:23 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on August 01, 2007, 07:44 PM NHFT
You think the paper will be interested in publishing a picture of someone in a suit?
You guys don't get the visual nature of this work.
During the Real-ID Rally it was Batman that made the front page.
Dada Chewbacca could be a hit on youtube.

You're right.
My focus was on a dozen or so jurors... but this is an issue nobody outside the Movement knows about. As such "Publicity" is the key, not "Credibility".

I'll still wear a suit, but I want to be shaking the Wookie's hand :)

8)

:) I'll get that picture... NHLA meets with alien protester.  ;D

armlaw

Quote from: EthanAllen on August 02, 2007, 11:01 AM NHFT
Quote from: armlaw on August 01, 2007, 06:28 PM NHFT
This is serious business and the jurors must know that they are the ultimate arbiters of both the actions and the law. Jury nullification is a RIGHT and DUTY!  More so, if the statute is overbearing or unjust in the penalty. Accordingly, even if the prosecution proves all elements of the purported crime, the jury may acquit if the penalty for the crime is unjust. See New Hampshire Bill of Rights for protection against unjust penalties.

I was wondering if you might be so inclined to point me towards more information (if you have any) about the importance of a deliberative body (like juries) within the civic republicanism tradition?

As the New Hampshire "Contact" for the Fully Informed Jury Association almost since its inception, may I suggest you visit www.fija.org and use the menus provided for everything including the printing out of all of our handout literature. If this doesn't meet with your expectations, let me know.

armlaw

Quote from: d_goddard on August 01, 2007, 10:58 AM NHFT
The Wookie outfit probably won't grant the FIJA message the authority that it needs to have, for jurors to actually think about practicing it.

Wearing a suit and tie -- basically, looking like a lawyer (though not claiming to be one) -- will probably make the jurors realize this is not a gag, it's for real and it is, not shit, honestly and really the law.

JURY RIGHTS DAY  September 5, 2007   -- Celebrate!

Jury nullification is an integral part of our judicial system, serving as one of the "checks and balances" required by a free society. The fact that it is unknown to most jurors today has contributed greatly to the decline of our court system into the "kangaroo courts" we see so often today.

Our Founding Fathers accepted the common law principle of jury nullification as an important safeguard for a free society -- a test that laws must pass before gaining sufficient popular authority for enforcement. Jury nullification has been used by jurors throughout our history to "nullify" unpopular and unjust laws, from laws against free speech to Prohibition.

Why aren't juries routinely informed about their power to vote their conscience and thus nullify bad law?

Why isn't jury power taught in school as part of a citizen's "civic duty?"

Well, since it's the state that runs the court and the schools, it's hardly surprising that jurors and potential jurors won't find out about their right to overturn state laws from the state.

The American Jury Institute/Fully Informed Jury Association www.fija.org is a non-profit association dedicated to educating all Americans about their rights, powers and responsibilities as trial jurors. FIJA publishes and distributes educational material but depends upon grass roots activists to inform jurors of their rights and to undertake state-level lobbying and/or ballot issue efforts.

This writer has introduced FIJA 3 times in New Hampshire, passing in the House but losing in the Senate. We must continue to promote the passage of Fully Informed Jury Amendments into state law, to require that judges resume the practice of informing jurors of their inherent right to bring in a verdict according to conscience and their judgment as to whether the law itself is unjust or unfairly applied in any trial by jury where government is one of the parties.

In 1991 FIJA National promoted the first Jury Rights Day celebration, commemorating the acquittal of William Penn on September 5, 1670 by an independent jury, on charges of preaching an illegal religion to an illegal assembly.   The judge fined and imprisoned the jury for refusing to bring in a conviction, but a high court ruling established that jurors may not be punished for voting their consciences.

Todays action should be to promote public awareness of the vital importance of jury power, and help correct the misconceptions about jury nullification. Make Jury Rights Day, September 5, 2007 visable in New Hampshire.

Consider to writing a letter to the editor, explaining the importance of September 5 and giving a brief history of jury nullification. ISIL offers an excellent "History of Jury Nullification," which you can use for background or to quote from; also check out Free-Market.Net's Policy Spotlight on the subject, Freedom Law's Jury Rights links and "The Past is Prologue" by Shelly Waxman of Freedom Lawyers of America.

Along with writing to your local papers, join groups in informing the jury pool of their rights and responsibilities that may help protect someone from an unjust prison sentence. Consider activities  to include radio interviews, speaking at local civic groups, distributing pamphlets, as well as sending letters to papers in the area. Weeklies are great and many people read them.

If you're feeling especially active, you can organize a Jury Rights Day celebration at your local courthouse; invite the press and hand out flyers. FIJA also has downloadable flyers and other materials. After September 5, 2007 you can continue to take action on this issue by forming a local jury rights group in each of the 10 county's.  You can visit and learn more at the AJI.FIJA web site at www.fija.org.

Dave Ridley

dada have boughted chewbacca costume

http://www.amazon.com/Chewbacca-Supreme-Costume-Adult-Super/dp/B000I1ISKA/ref=sr_1_4/103-4635204-0285408?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1187662830&sr=8-4

but i bought thru ebay and will only pay 400 flat including shipping

much thankses to those who have volunteereded to help pay for chewbacca's purchase and journey.....  liberty wookie will earn his pay

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 20, 2007, 09:24 PM NHFT

http://www.amazon.com/Chewbacca-Supreme-Costume-Adult-Super/dp/B000I1ISKA/ref=sr_1_4/103-4635204-0285408?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1187662830&sr=8-4

much thankses to those who have volunteereded to help pay for chewbacca's purchase and journey.....  liberty wookie will earn his pay

Well...It will be warm..... perfect for winter demonstrations  ;) and my kids will love it... you have my permission to jump out and scare them with it when it is delivered...

Dave Ridley

Tom Sawyer

8) :D

d_goddard

Hmmm.... Sept 5 is Jury Rights day.
Sept 5 is also the next NH GOP Republican Debate.
FOX News will be there.

If you want a wookie in front of a LOT of media, Sept 5 seems like a hell of a good time to do so.
Order ickets (act now! they sell out fast!)
What: Presidential debate hosted by Fox News, The University of New Hampshire and the New Hampshire Republican State Committee.

Date: September 5, 2007
Time:   Pre-Debate Reception: 6:00-8:00 P.M.
                Debate: Doors close at 8:30 P.M.   
Place: The Whittemore Center, The University of New Hampshire (128 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824).

Steve

It would make a real amusing PledgeBank pledge: "I will wear a Wookie costume and hand out FIJA literature in front of a New Hampshire courthouse on September 5th, Jury Rights Day, but only if 20 people will contribute $20 towards the cost." Although www.ChipIn.com might be a better way of collecting money.

Kat Kanning