• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need advice and bookkeepeer

Started by cxxguy, July 05, 2007, 03:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

cxxguy

I think that I may well be contracting in Portsmouth soon.  This is a good thing.  Since I'll be working as a contractor, and since I am not yet ready to go to prison, I'll be needing some professional help in getting incorporated (maybe), minimizing my tax burden, and keeping my books.

Anybody know Porc friendly lawyers, accountants, bookkeepers, or tax advisers around the Portsmouth area?

Additional Info Added:

Here is why I think I might need a lawyer:

I'm considering incorporating as a non-profit, and using any money over and above the (minimal) stipend I would pay myself in order to finance a "Home for Wayward Porcupines and Bad Girls".

I'm also toying with the idea of incorporating offshore.

Dreepa

Quote from: cxxguy on July 05, 2007, 03:21 AM NHFT
I think that I may well be contracting in Portsmouth soon.  This is a good thing.  Since I'll be working as a contractor, and since I am not yet ready to go to prison, I'll be needing some professional help in getting incorporated (maybe), minimizing my tax burden, and keeping my books.

Anybody know Porc friendly lawyers, accountants, bookkeepers, or tax advisers around the Portsmouth area?

If you PM Shuvom.. he met a libertarian tax guy.  I think it was in Manchester called  "Liberty Tax Service " or something like that.

Russell Kanning

I don't think anyone would ever neeeed a lawyer.

Lloyd Danforth

Or, at least try not to neeed a lawyer

41mag

Dan Belforti is in the Portsmouth area.  He is an investment advisor, and may know someone.  He also has a local radio show (I'm not shure when or where though).

cxxguy

Send lawyers, guns and money, Dad, 'cause the shit has hit the fan!

KBCraig

Quote from: cxxguy on July 06, 2007, 01:31 AM NHFT
Send lawyers, guns and money, Dad, 'cause the shit has hit the fan!

lol... On a local/regional forum I frequent, one fellow has a current problem with the IRS. He's a member of a popular local band, and serves as business manager. He keeps good books. But, out of naivete, he allowed a local venue to pay the band by check, and gave his personal SSN for their books. They wrote a check, he endorsed it, and they cashed the check. In return, he paid the band members in cash. They played 5 or 6 times at that venue in 2005.

Fast forward a couple of years... the venue never sent him a 1099, but they certainly filed a copy with the IRS, using his SSN. And now the IRS wants their cut. And as far as they're concerned, since the money was paid to him, he owes all the taxes. His books don't count, since he "could have just made those names up". IRS will only reduce his personal liability if the band members submit signed receipts with their SSNs. At least one has offered to do so, but, to his credit, he's refusing to submit their names to the IRS.