• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

88 year old with perfect driving record

Started by Rosie the Riveter, July 06, 2007, 05:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie the Riveter

First Driving Violation For Woman, 88, May Mean Loss Of Privileges
Police Say Woman Clocked Going 53 MPH In 30 MPH Zone

POSTED: 5:24 pm EDT July 6, 2007

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- An 88-year-old Manchester woman pulled over for speeding may never drive again even though she didn't have any previous violations in 74 years of driving.

Hilda Philippy was pulled over by a police officer in Manchester this week while she was driving from a McDonald's in Hooksett -- typically, the only drive she ever takes. The officer said she was clocked at 53 mph in a 30 mph zone.

"He came beside me and told me to pull over," Philippy said.

After police pulled her over, they realized that her license was suspended.

"For failing to re-examine her license, which is required by the state every five years after your 75th birthday," Officer Paul Rondeau said.

Officials said the incident shines a light on older drivers who have to decide when to stop driving. According to AARP, older drivers are some of the safest on the road and have lower crash rates and a high rate of seatbelt use.

But Philippy said the violations may mean that she can't take to the road again.

"I lost my freedom," she said.

Philippy made a court appearance Thursday, and the judge ordered a trial after Philippy forgot that she had waived her rights and pleaded guilty moments before. Her next court date is set for mid-September.

Copyright 2007 by WMUR

Spencer

Without that piece of plastic, she was a clear danger on the road (like Russell).

Maybe Russell should go do an intervention with the woman.

I wonder if she realizes that she has been driving without a license for at least three years?  She seems to think that losing her license will limit her physical ability to operate a car; the evidence is against her.

She should just drive anyway; what are they going to do, throw her in jail?

Rosie the Riveter

I renewed my expired license today -- wasted an hour of my life in line at the DMV...

I was glad the wait was so long and painful and I hope that a few of the people in line with me understood how very stupid it was to stand there to beg for permission to drive and how very poorly the government does everything....

Being a chatty & friendly gal, I was glad to get to share my views with the people around me in line  8)

Caleb

Quote from: Spencer on July 06, 2007, 07:14 PM NHFT
Without that piece of plastic, she was a clear danger on the road (like Russell).

I wonder if she realizes that she has been driving without a license for at least three years?  She seems to think that losing her license will limit her physical ability to operate a car; the evidence is against her.

Will NH renew someone's license plates if they don't have a license?  That could end up getting her in trouble.

Spencer

Quote from: Caleb on July 06, 2007, 09:56 PM NHFT

Will NH renew someone's license plates if they don't have a license?  That could end up getting her in trouble.

Yes; there is no requirement that you be a licensed driver in order to register your car.

I am a NH resident. How do I register my vehicle?
If the vehicle was purchased from a NH dealer, take the blue town clerk's copy of the Title Application (TDMV 23A), along with proof-of-residency, to the town or city where you reside.

If the vehicle was purchased through a private sale and is a titled (RSA 261:4) vehicle (1993 or newer), the properly assigned title, along with proof-of-residency, to the town or city office where you reside.

If it is a title exempt (RSA 261:3) vehicle, the bill-of-sale is required instead of the title. Submit the bill-of-sale, along with proof of residency, to the town or city office where you reside.

If it is title exempt vehicle, you will also need to submit a previously issued NH registration, a valid NH, or out of state title or a completed TDMV19A.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/registration/faq.html

There are some really dumb questions on the above website, like ("Do I have to register my Segway?").

Dreepa

Quote from: Caleb on July 06, 2007, 09:56 PM NHFT

Here is an interesting note than....How did they renew her car plates if she didn't have a license?  Shouldn't some bureaucrat have told her?