• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Alan M topic

Started by Pat K, May 10, 2005, 10:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

AlanM has been in NH 53 years and never got a Dinner!!! Or apparently a web topic named after him.

Well now he has one. Feel free to make him regret it. ;D

AlanM

Quote from: Pat K on May 10, 2005, 10:07 PM NHFT
AlanM has been in NH 53 years and never got a Dinner!!! Or apparently a web topic named after him.

Well now he has one. Feel free to make him regret it. ;D

Thanks, Pat. I'm honored.  ::)

Pat K

Hey no problem my friend. >:D

Michael Fisher

53 years!  BWAH!!!  I'll have my 53 years in by the year 2057.

So when's the party for Alan?   ;D

AlanM

Quote from: Pat K on May 11, 2005, 12:06 AM NHFT

Oh, boy! What have I started. Help me Shorty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat K

Quote from: AlanM on May 11, 2005, 12:09 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on May 11, 2005, 12:06 AM NHFT

Oh, boy! What have I started. Help me Shorty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shorty is chuckling his ass off, thinking damn can't leave him alone for a min. ;D

AlanM

Shorty may be making an appearance, of sorts, in the future. A friend and I have begun discussions about a Radio Show about him. A Podcast type radio show. We'll see what develops. Nothing real soon.  :)

KBCraig

Quote from: AlanM on May 11, 2005, 09:57 PM NHFT
Shorty may be making an appearance, of sorts, in the future. A friend and I have begun discussions about a Radio Show about him. A Podcast type radio show. We'll see what develops. Nothing real soon.  :)

The "Old Time Radio" fans among you might recognize the name of "Lum 'n' Abner", keepers of a general store in Pine Ridge, Arkansas. During the 1940s and '50s, their show was so popular that many people of that generation cannot be disuaded of the notion Pine Ridge is a real place. Well, it is, sort of... the tiny hamlet of Waters changed its name to Pine Ridge, and the "Jot 'em down Store" survives today as a private museum for the long-dead radio show.

Since I'm from Polk County, Arkansas, I identify with Lum 'n' Abner, who were from Mena, the county seat. Chet Lauck and Tuffy Goff were hardly backwards hillbillies. Both were educated men. Chet's nephew, Bill Lauck Woods, was president of the Union Bank of Mena. The Goff House was one of the nicest residences in town, on Reine Street.

Anyhoo, I see lots of similarities. I wish Shorty the kind of infamy shared by those radio old-timers, and I hope Caleb Johnson's place will be the new Jot 'em Down Store.

http://www.lum-abner.com/

Kevin

AlanM

KB, Thanks for the good wishes. Wouldn't it be great to have porcs hanging around at Caleb's, teaching folks about liberty?

I had never heard of Lum 'n Abner, but see they are a lot like what I envision for Shorty and friends.

AlanM

Pat K

Quote from: AlanM on May 12, 2005, 08:07 AM NHFT
KB, Thanks for the good wishes. Wouldn't it be great to have porcs hanging around at Caleb's, teaching folks about liberty?

I had never heard of Lum 'n Abner, but see they are a lot like what I envision for Shorty and friends.

AlanM

Does Calebs have a Porch? You need a good Porch for tellin stories.

KBCraig

My hesitance at providing any stories about Shorty stems from my complete and utter Southerness. I personally don't know Shorty all that well, but his Southern cousins have related to me many tales about him. Unfortunately, they've all been translated into a Southern version of things, and I am not familiar enough with the details of New Hampshire living to reverse-translate those tales.

Earlier tonight, I was researching the snakes of New Hampshire, checking out a tale I'd heard about Shorty. Alas, it seems the tale got stretched a bit. There are no water mocassins in the North Country. Black racers like to sun themselves in trees, though. If you know of another NH snake that might drop into a fishing boat, let me know...  ;D

Kevin

AlanM

KB, there are rattle-snakes in NH. Could get in the fishing gear when it sits on shore waiting to get packed onto the boat. Of course the cooler is packed first, with loving care.

AlanM

Quote from: Pat K on May 12, 2005, 11:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on May 12, 2005, 08:07 AM NHFT

AlanM

Does Calebs have a Porch? You need a good Porch for tellin stories.

Oh yes. Caleb was a good story-teller, so he had a good porch.  ;)

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on May 13, 2005, 02:21 AM NHFT
My hesitance at providing any stories about Shorty stems from my complete and utter Southerness. I personally don't know Shorty all that well, but his Southern cousins have related to me many tales about him. Unfortunately, they've all been translated into a Southern version of things, and I am not familiar enough with the details of New Hampshire living to reverse-translate those tales.

Earlier tonight, I was researching the snakes of New Hampshire, checking out a tale I'd heard about Shorty. Alas, it seems the tale got stretched a bit. There are no water mocassins in the North Country. Black racers like to sun themselves in trees, though. If you know of another NH snake that might drop into a fishing boat, let me know...? ;D

Kevin

On his trip across the country when he was a young buck, Shorty learned that Southerners were a lot like Yankee New Englanders, just the accent and some of the lingo was different, was all. Of course he was referin' to country folk, not city folk. The food is different too, but it's still good grub. ;D

AlanM

This talk of snakes has reminded me of a good story Shorty once told. Thanks Kevin!  8)