• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

My small stand...am I silly?

Started by RattyDog, July 09, 2007, 10:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

Quote from: Dreepa on July 09, 2007, 01:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: RattyDog on July 09, 2007, 01:34 PM NHFT

Ummmmm....Revolution, anyone? Seriously, I feel silly because this is such a small thing...
Some revolutions started over something 'small' like a 1/2 penny tax on tea, playing cards, etc etc. ;D

Yes and our forefathers blew peoples heads off over those taxes!!

Yet today you get called radical for even questioning whats going on.

lildog

Ratty, welcome!

Similar thing happened to me this past weekend.  I have a metal drum, a chiminea and a copper outdoor fire pit.  All of which I use for burning small branches etc.  I figure since it is all contained fires it is no different then burning them in the fire place inside my house.  I even asked the chief of police if he knew of any reason I couldn't burn in an outdoor fireplace or drum, he knew of none.  This weekend however while I was burning a couple branches I cut the fire department showed up insisting that I apply for a permit to even go so far as us my little $20 chiminea that I got from the Christmas tree shop.  The thing is so small I can only fit 8 inch long logs which are around 3 or 4 inches diameter at most... yet I need a permit.

I can however take those same logs and sticks and burn them inside my house without a permit... good figure.

As a result I am preparing to write every state rep (regardless of district) asking them to repeal this assign law.

I mean it would be one thing if I were burning openly where I could be putting my neighbors homes at risk but if it is a contained fire which I'm watching and I had a bucket of water near by just in case where is the problem.

That's just it, we allow the government to put all these little restrictions on us left and right and we think nothing of the fact we have to ask their permission to do what we want with our own land, homes and pets.

supperman15

the bos of slavery are not forged in an instant but widdled over years.  Each small freedom or right that you let go is another bit that shapes the shackels.

d_goddard

Quote from: lildog on July 09, 2007, 03:40 PM NHFT
I am preparing to write every state rep (regardless of district) asking them to repeal this assign law.
Hitting up every State Rep for an issue of this (lack of) magnitude is not going to help your case.

You will have a much, much better chance of actually repealing the law, by simply:
1. contacting your Reps
2. keeping an eye on the resulting LSR and bill (which you can easily do by enabling "tracking" on it at http://generalcourt.org )
3. notifying the NHLA (research@nhliberty.org) and posting to NHFree when the bill comes up for public hearing

I will do my best to lobby in favor of any such bill, and will help you to lobby effectively, too.
"lobby" here simply means: convince the key people on the committee that the bill is a Good Idea.

For rather small, noncontroversial bills like the ones discussed in this thread, it's most effective to just focus on the Committee Chair, and anyone on the committee who doesn't have a strong opinion one way or the other. Making a big deal out of it by contacting every single Rep, protesting with signs, etc., etc., is only going to hurt your chances. It isn't huge like an income tax, medical marijuana, or education.

lildog

"Making a big deal out of it by contacting every single Rep, protesting with signs, etc., etc., is only going to hurt your chances. It isn't huge like an income tax, medical marijuana, or education."

Good point

Rosie the Riveter

Welcome Rattydog....

I'm glad that you found us. You are right on and I'm with you 100%.

We have openly refused to pay a city fee in the past because it just didn't make sense to us. We asked the city employee we were speaking to what the ramifications were for not paying the fee and after hearing them we just said "OK we understand, thanks for letting us know -- we won't be paying".

Again welcome to nhfree.com you are not alone...

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: RattyDog on July 09, 2007, 01:34 PM NHFT
"If the unlicensed dog is seized, it shall be held in a town or city holding facility for a period of 7 days, after which time full title to the dog shall pass to the facility, unless the owner of the dog has, before the expiration of the period, caused the dog to be licensed."

One more thing I bet they would do - if no one adopts the seized dog after 14 days they will kill it.

error

Now would be a good time to ask the dogcatcher to quit his immoral job.

alohamonkey

Hi Rattydog,

I was just directed to this thread by Dreepa (thanks Dreepa).  Looks like we're in the same boat.  I just posted the following as a new topic in the "Ask Questions of NH Residents" thread:

"Hey everyone,

I moved to NH almost two years ago with my girlfriend and our Jack Russell Terrier.  Since then, we have adopted a Bernese Mountain dog.  We always keep our dogs up-to-date on vet checks and immunizations.  We treat them like they were our children.  We have never felt the desire or need to register our pets and pay money to local governments for said registration.  I guess they never proved to us that their services were worth our $$$$.   

Well, we have been getting along just find for about a year and a half until we received a letter from the City of Manchester demanding that we come down to such and such office, register our pets, and pay them $$$$.  FYI - I guess the City gets pet owner's info from veterinarians and sends out letters demanding $$$ for the "priviledge" of owning a pet in the city.  Granted, it's not alot of money but it's the principle that is pissing me off. 

Has anyone else run into this situation?  If so, what are the consequences of not paying and registering a pet?  I have just drafted up a letter in response to their demand for $$$$ and will be placing it in the mail tomorrow:

"Dear City of Manchester,

Thank you for your interest in my personal matters but at this time we will not be needing your services.  Have a great day!"

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?"

Rattydog . . . I'm on the same page as you.  I've never been very active in civil disobedience but I do not think I can morally pay this fee.  It's completely outrageous.  I've lived in three states with pets and they have never been registered and I've never had a problem.  I know it sounds like a small stand to take but I'm completely ready to fight this bullshit fee and sense of entitlement...especially since they told you that the money goes into a "general fund."  I always assumed the money went toward shelters, etc. but now that I know it doesn't, I really don't want to pay. 

Please keep me posted with your progress and any outlines that you are creating.  I am also going to try to write some letters and contact my reps within the next month (the next two weeks will be crazy for me as I will be out of town).  I am also thinking about contacting my vet to see why they disclosed our info without notifying us.  I'm with you on this one!!!

hook

Moral of the story: Don't give the vet a real address.

Vote Tyler Stearns

Since my dog just had her very first rabies vac, I'll let you know if/when I get a letter from my town demanding we 'register' her.  I regret I even had her vaccinated...she's an tiny 6-lb. indoor dog, never goes outside (does her business on a dog mat)...but, of course, while at the vet she just happened to nip at vet's hand as I was asking why she needed to be vaccinated against rabies.  He mentioned that if she ever bit anyone (apparently besides him) and we couldn't prove she had a rabies vaccine, they would have to put her down.

I seem to remember years ago that a significant portion of the dog registration fees paid to our town went to the town clerk as a 'commission' or some such thing.  The town clerk was even calling our house to 'remind' us to register our dog because she had a personal financial stake in it.  Am I remembering that right?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: RattyDog on July 09, 2007, 05:32 PM NHFT

Rosie...

Has anyone ever showed up at your home to take your dog? More power to you lady, this fee is bullcrap and to tell you the truth, I think I'm more ticked about the fine than anything else. I mean, come on...$4?? So basically just a shameless attempt at squeezing four dollars out of me?? Four dollars that they don't even have any specific need for?? WTF is that about?

Actually, the fee we didn't pay was to register our in-home security system....but seems to be similar in scope

hook

Licensed Govt snitches...

436:102 Duties of Veterinarian.

It shall be the duty of each veterinarian, at the time of vaccinating
any dog, cat, or ferret, to complete a certificate of rabies vaccination
in triplicate which includes the following information: owner's name and
address, description of dog, cat, or ferret (breed, sex, markings, age,
name), date of vaccination, rabies vaccination tag number, type of rabies
vaccine administered, manufacturer's serial number of vaccine, and the
expiration date of the vaccination. Distribution of copies of the
certificate shall be: the original to the owner, one copy retained by the
issuing veterinarian and, within 40 days of the vaccination, one copy to
the town or city clerk where the dog, cat, or ferret is kept. The
veterinarian and the owner shall retain their copies for the interval
between vaccinations specified in RSA 436:100. A metal or durable plastic
tag, serially numbered, shall be securely attached to the collar or
harness of the dog. Whenever the dog is out-of-doors, off the owner's
premises, and not under the control of the owner or handler while working
the dog, the collar or harness with the vaccination tag shall be worn.
For the purposes of this section, "working the dog" means a dog doing a
defined functional canine activity with its owner or handler such as
hunting, field work, drafting, and guarding, working, or herding
livestock, as defined in RSA 21:34-a, II(a)(4), or participating in any
lawful competitive event, including, but not limited to, conformation
shows or obedience trials, field trials, agility events, hunts, sled
races, or training activities pertinent to functional canine activities.
Cats and ferrets shall not be required to wear the collar or harness with
the tag.

Source. 1985, 72:1. 1990, 17:1. 1992, 250:5. 1994, 353:1. 1995, 202:6,
eff. June 12, 1995. 2006, 11:4, eff. March 3, 2006.

466:1-b Rabies Certificate.

Upon receipt of a copy of a rabies certificate from a veterinarian
pursuant to RSA 436:102, the clerk of the town or city shall send written
notice to the owner or keeper of any unlicensed dog relative to the
licensing requirements provided for in RSA 466:1. If the owner or keeper
of the unlicensed dog fails to license the dog in a timely manner, the
town or city clerk shall notify the local law enforcement officer of a
violation of RSA 466:1.

Source. 1994, 353:3, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: RattyDog on July 09, 2007, 01:01 PM NHFT

I am a tax paying, law abiding citizen of this country....
I agree with Rand .... that they make enough rules so that noone is "innocent".

Bald Eagle

No, it's not silly at all - this is how you get started.

Register your local Jew or Black.  Have them wear distinguishing clothing or emblems.  Force them by law to give up their seats on the bus to their betters.

There are somethings that supposedly are the legitimate purview of govt - and then there are things that are absolutely off limits.

Fight them tooth and nail every step of the way.  Write the offices and officials directly involved letters that quote RSA's and other matters specifically pertaining to your situation.  Bring up the matter of them treating you with the respect and dignity due to an American Citizen, taxpayer, and constituent.  They are ABUSING you.  They are ABUSING your trust in them as your representatives.  They owe you - you do not owe them.  Government buildings are there so that the people can tell the govt what to do, not the other way around.  Make them spend time and effort and risk losing the respect of the people that they claim is so important. 

Depending upon how you want to play this,
Pay the original $35, and make the entire issue about the $4 late fee.  That makes their claims even more ridiculous to the average person.  If the $35 goes toward doing some crap dealing with dog-catchers and rabies programs, fine, you paid for that, but the $4 late fee is just abuse.  I think you might be more likely to get public support from the ignorant public if you do something like that than just try to buck the whole $39.

Pay the $35 in loose change.

Pay $34.99

Pay $38.99

Send a bill to the vet for a $39 violation of confidentiality, or just call it a squealer's fee.

Get a really BIG mean animal and keep it in a shed surrounded by a fence.  Have them come take THAT animal.  "Don't hurt Fluffy!" 

Find some other Francisco d'Anconia tactics to use.  Do anything but what they want or expect.  Complicate and confuse the issue and make them waste VAST amounts of time and energy and money on it.  Have a whopping ton of sadistic FUN. 

I know I can be eternally vigilant for Liberty, because I have unending sadistic fantasies about crushing my political enemies and driving them before me out of the Free State.  The administration of government should be torture, and I intend on turning fascist authoritarian legislators, police, and tax collectors into weeping miserable masochists.

Working for liberty or just quitting their jobs will look like paradise in comparison.   :icon_pirat: