• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

My small stand...am I silly?

Started by RattyDog, July 09, 2007, 10:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

RattyDog

I have been lurking here for a while...and am just finally getting around to registering and posting. I'm glad to be here as you all have become my heroes just for the fact that you are all willing to stand together for what is right, for a free way of living.

For a long time I have been angry...I couldn't understand this rage in me. I have a good life, a great dog and a loving partner. I work hard and sleep in a soft bed every night. But this anger crept up into my throat and stayed there, in a knot...like a captured scream. It took me a long while to understand why I am so angry: we are not free. I am not free. I realized that I am lied to, over taxed and manipulated. I realized that I am a part of a machine that I cannot break out of, that I was born free but was only that way for an instant, that I have been shackled by this society, this government. After the initial realization, came a time of rapid exploration for me. I started asking questions when I was told to do something instead of blindly obeying the "officials". I started to see myself as a human being, which was strange, because it really showed me how long it had been that I didn't view myself as such, in the true implication of what it means to be a free human being.

One such situation that caused me to question "authority" as opposed to obeying was recent. The City Clerks office called me and basically told me that I was being fined for not licensing my dog before the end of April. I told the woman that I had called and checked with the City Office before I purchased my dog to see what the policy was and, upon being told that I could register my dog straight away or for a lesser fee after having the animal spayed, decided to wait until after the dog had been spayed to register her. The person I spoke with did not tell me there is a deadline. I had my dog spayed as soon as she was old enough but had not yet sent the paperwork and money in to register her with the city. "Well, a notice was sent to your house and it was returned to us...but the policy states that the fee and paperwork must be submitted before the last day of April". I told her again that I had not been made aware of this policy and that obviously the notice had not reached me as she could see it had been returned to them, despite having my correct mailing address.

Now, the fee was $35 (or something) and the "fine" for late submission is supposed to be $4 or so....so the total fee she was asking me to send in was $39.00. I normally would have just sent the money in so as not to break the rules....but at this point I was sick of it. I was angry. I am sick of my money being sent off in little envelopes to who knows where. I'm sick of not knowing what I'm paying for when I pay for these stupid fees, etc. I pay taxes out the behind for gosh sakes, why is everyone trying to squeeze money out of me? I don't even think I should have to register my freakin' animal, but hey...whatever.

So, I asked the woman: "Where is this money actually going." Please forgive my naiveté when I say that I honestly thought the money went to some sort of set-aside for the city to maintain their animal control unit or something relevant like that. But no....she said to me, with a tone of shameful culpability, "I'm not sure what the money goes to exactly, but I know it is sent to the State of New Hampshire and ends up in the general budget". I told her that I didn't know yet if I would be sending the money in as I found that somewhat suspect and bordering on outrageous.

Was I right, here? Is this a stupid place for me to draw a line in the sand? I am just sick of my money being taken from me by people who will freely admit that they are not sure where it's going to go, but that it definitely is not going to anything relevant to the actual activity or service that is being fined/taxed. I could justify sending the money into the city office if the woman said that it goes to maintain the local pound or some service responsible for capturing, fixing and adopting out strays. That in itself would give me heartburn but I could justify it. This woman flat out told me that this money is being charged of me, while no service is being given to me....and that the money is going into the general fund for the state. I didn't ask for anything from the state. I bought a dog with my own money, I paid the vet bills and bought her little dogdy things with my own money. I keep the animal, feed her, etc....with no help from the state. So then, why am I being charged money. This, to me, seems like an animal tax. Am I honestly being charged an ANIMAL TAX? And I have to pay.....because they say so...even thought they cannot tell me where the money goes??

This may all sound stupid and so small, but this is my first stand, this is the first time I've said "NO". Am I doing it right? I just want to go about all of this the right way. I have decided that I am a human being, that I have the right to say no...and I want to say no more often.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is this a good place to draw a line....? Or are these bastards going to come and take my dog away?

Thank you for reading this...I know it sounds silly and small....but it is my first stand...I feel happy. I really feel happy, like a real person. A free person, who can say "No, that doesnt sound like a relevant or valid tax or a legitimate reason to call me at work and harass me."

:brave:

Kat Kanning

Any resistance is good resistance :)  Good for you!

error

The straw that broke the camel's back wasn't a big thing, either. Welcome!

d_goddard

You're going to hear more and more of a "Giant Sucking Sound" as money goes into the General Fund try and cover the spending orgy that the legislature railroaded though in Concord last session!

Whatever you do, be sure and post, blog, write letters to the editor... be vocal!

Dave Ridley

dude....it is really great to have you here.   If you post us contact information for any persons harrassing you...I will be happy to call or write some of them with polite questions.    i think you are right on track here....the power to license dogs is the power to destroy dogs.

we can raise a heck of a stink if they start bugging you and if they take your dog maybe we can

surround
the pound

LOL

Dave Ridley

oh also i am adding "refuse to license dog"

....to our civil disobedience idea list

Vote Tyler Stearns

You're not being silly...this could be the impetus to become more of an activist. 

I became a more vocal activist following a "silly" incident that occured at WalMart.  I was grocery shopping at WalMart with my teenage children and I asked my son to go pick up some butane for a lighter (his lighter, by the way, which he'd bought months earlier at WalMart).  As I was checking out, he returned and said they wouldn't sell him butane because he was under 18 (he was 17 at the time).  I said, "That's ridiculous," and stormed over to the 'high security' cigarette check-out and asked the clerk for butane.  She looked at me (middle-aged mom), then looked at my son, then said she couldn't sell it to me because I might be buying it for my son.  I asked what law forbid them from selling butane to someone under 18.  She couldn't name it, but said WalMart could be fined thousands of dollars.  I made a scene and they had to bring in the supervisor, and I continued to make a coherent yet strong scene with the supervisor, but to no avail.  Long story short...there is no such law.  I went to Hannaford down the street and bought the butane, which was stocked outside the high security cigarette aisle.  I asked the Hannaford clerk if she would sell it to a 17-year-old and she answered yes, of course. 

Sometimes it's these little things that get you thinking about the intrusiveness of others (government mainly) into our personal lives.  And one of the issues that bugs me the most is government trying to legislate good parenting....grrrrrrr.

You got my blood running, Rattydog.

Vote Tyler Stearns

Oh I forgot to write that I have a 4-year-old dog and I refuse to license her.  I think I might get bagged, too, because I recently took her to the vet and they asked why she'd never had a rabies shot.  Uh oh...I'm in trouble now :icon_pirat:

Dreepa

Quote from: malevil on July 09, 2007, 12:16 PM NHFT
You're not being silly...this could be the impetus to become more of an activist. 

I became a more vocal activist following a "silly" incident that occured at WalMart. 
I hope you wrote a letter to that Walmart, the HQ and told them they lost a customer.

Ratty... it is often the small things that make you see the larger things.  As many have said.. it is a journey, a process.

Dreepa

Interesting links:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XLV/466/466-4.htm mentions that it goes the the State Treasurer. The law started in 1891!!! updated last in 1997.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XLV/466/466-5.htm  but if they license cats then ALL the money stays in the local town.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XLV/466/466-7.htm  $1 a month late fee.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XLV/466/466-14.htm  taking of animals.  They can  but will they?  They have to tell you in writing first.

And it is interesting.... why does the state need this money?  I see your point if it goes to local animal control.  Perhaps you could contact your NH rep (if you are friendly with them)

error

Dreepa

Quote from: RattyDog on July 09, 2007, 01:34 PM NHFT

Ummmmm....Revolution, anyone? Seriously, I feel silly because this is such a small thing...
Some revolutions started over something 'small' like a 1/2 penny tax on tea, playing cards, etc etc. ;D

d_goddard

Ratty, a good person to talk to might be your State Rep!
Most of them feel they have an obligation to bring forward bills requested by their constituents.

Chat with them a bit and they may have good ideas about ways to redress this grievance. Come to an agreement with them about what makes most sense to both of you, and you'll have an advocate in the legislature.

Some ideas off the top of my head:
* Require that any "registration" fees collected (such as for vehicles, pets, etc) include a line-item breakdown of where the money goes
* Repeal RSA 466-14 : Do not allow the State to confiscate a person's Companion Animal as a punitive measure for nonpayment of fines!
* Modify RSA 466-4 to require that all such fees be used to fund animal care & control efforts in the local community ("local control" is a hot political item right now; all the Republican Reps will likely support such a bill!)

Step #1: Find out who your Reps are
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/whosmyleg/default.asp

Step #2: Call up the one with the highest NHLA rating (the most pro-liberty reps are almost always also the most willing to talk to their constituents)
http://www.nhliberty.org/files/2007%20House%20Rating.pdf

Vote Tyler Stearns

Quote from: Dreepa on July 09, 2007, 12:18 PM NHFT

I became a more vocal activist following a "silly" incident that occured at WalMart. 
I hope you wrote a letter to that Walmart, the HQ and told them they lost a customer.

Ratty... it is often the small things that make you see the larger things.  As many have said.. it is a journey, a process.

I penned the most beautiful letter you'll ever read (it could have won a poison pen award) and sent it to WalMart - corporate and the manager at the local store - never received a response.  Typical, huh?

Dreepa

Quote from: malevil on July 09, 2007, 03:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on July 09, 2007, 12:18 PM NHFT

I penned the most beautiful letter you'll ever read (it could have won a poison pen award) and sent it to WalMart - corporate and the manager at the local store - never received a response.  Typical, huh?

Yup.. now you just have to vote with your dollars.
+1 for action.