• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Registering Pets

Started by alohamonkey, July 09, 2007, 04:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

alohamonkey

Hey everyone,

I moved to NH almost two years ago with my girlfriend and our Jack Russell Terrier.  Since then, we have adopted a Bernese Mountain dog.  We always keep our dogs up-to-date on vet checks and immunizations.  We treat them like they were our children.  We have never felt the desire or need to register our pets and pay money to local governments for said registration.  I guess they never proved to us that their services were worth our $$$$.   

Well, we have been getting along just find for about a year and a half until we received a letter from the City of Manchester demanding that we come down to such and such office, register our pets, and pay them $$$$.  FYI - I guess the City gets pet owner's info from veterinarians and sends out letters demanding $$$ for the "priviledge" of owning a pet in the city.  Granted, it's not alot of money but it's the principle that is pissing me off. 

Has anyone else run into this situation?  If so, what are the consequences of not paying and registering a pet?  I have just drafted up a letter in response to their demand for $$$$ and will be placing it in the mail tomorrow:

"Dear City of Manchester,

Thank you for your interest in my personal matters but at this time we will not be needing your services.  Have a great day!"

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice? 

alohamonkey

Thanks Dreepa.  Sort of weird that both of these threads started within a few hours of each other. 

Tom Sawyer

Maybe we need to find out if it is a requirement for vets to rat out their clients or do they decide to do it themselves.

How does Mr. Fido establish "residency"? He is a perpetual traveler.  ;D