• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How to go to jail

Started by KBCraig, May 12, 2005, 11:01 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

No, not how to get put in jail, but how to prepare yourself for jail.

Mike did a good job when performed his outlaw manicure. If anyone else is contemplating civil disobedience that leads to arrest, keep these points in mind:

- Be sincerely polite

- Be cooperative in everything except stopping the illegal act

- Don't engage in any "Hell no, we won't go!" antics

- Don't be armed (unless being armed is the protest)

- Don't take your wallet, watch, cell phone, or jewelry

- The only thing in your pockets should be your ID and a small amount of cash ($5-20)

- - (Unless, of course, the requirement for ID is something you're protesting)

- When questioned by police, you must give your true name and address (this has long been established by SCOTUS)

- While in jail, address the COs as "Officer" or "CO", not "Guard"

- Jail is not "Oz", but it's not warm and fuzzy, either. It won't be comfortable, and it will be embarrassing at times

- Be honest with everyone about why you're in jail; most will find it amusing

- "Real criminals" will recognize that you're not, and most won't expect you to know or follow their codes; this is good

- Remember: the law, not the police, is the enemy

Consider this professional advice.  I'm a correctional officer.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on May 12, 2005, 11:01 AM NHFT
- The only thing in your pockets should be your ID and a small amount of cash ($5-20)

I strongly disagree.  At least one guy was in jail with me on $250 bail plus some $30 fee, but he only had $250 in his wallet, so he couldn't get out for a week or two because nobody would post his bail.

From what I hear, if you're going to prison or jail for a long time, bring a few hundred bucks, or at least have someone send it to you in jail.

When being processed in jail, if you want to represent yourself, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT initial the statement that says you agree to being represented by a public defender.  These defenders might as well be called "OFFENDERS" because they're on the government's side anyways.  They're also really expensive.  They'll plead guilty for you, charge you $500, and go home.  This is ridiculous.

To represent myself, I looked up court manners and procedures on Google in a few minutes.  ;)  I researched cases around the state and the country and actually listened to NH Supreme Court recordings on their website so I could learn their jargon and be prepared for it.

Also, when leaving jail or prison, BEFORE you sign ANYTHING, make absolutely sure you have every single dollar and piece of ID.  You can never get it back after you sign that paper.

Michael Fisher

A CO actually argued with me and said it was mandatory to initial the boxes saying I agreed to be represented by a public defender.? I absolutely refused to sign it because it said I agreed to pay someone to defend me.? Eventually the CO admitted she was wrong.

Russell Kanning

Are there any reasons to have money with you?

Kat Kanning

Yes, if you actually want to pay the bail, you should have money.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: russellkanning on May 12, 2005, 12:07 PM NHFT
Are there any reasons to have money with you?

If you're going to jail for a long time, or prison, you can use it to buy stuff to keep you sane while imprisoned.

KBCraig

My point about taking only a small amount of cash was based on this being a deliberate arrest, with support from the outside, and not needing bail money. If you want to bail out, and you don't have someone waiting to post bail, then by all means carry the cash you'll need for that.

The small amount of cash will help tide you over during a short jail sentence, to buy whatever canteen items might be available.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Thanks for all the advice, Kevin!

Another thing...

Do not drive to the event and make preparations to get a ride home.  Dave Mincin drove me there, and the police asked me where my car was so they could tow it.   :o

Luckily, Dave also was available to drive me back home, but I had to wait 3 hours after being released from jail to be picked up.  It was pretty sunny anyways.  :)

Looking back, I should have had a plan for that in advance, and directions to the jail should have been given to the person who was going to pick me up before I was even arrested.

KBCraig

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 12, 2005, 12:58 PM NHFT
Thanks for all the advice, Kevin!

Another thing...

Do not drive to the event and make preparations to get a ride home.  Dave Mincin drove me there, and the police asked me where my car was so they could tow it.   :o

You know, I didn't even think of that one, and it's very important. Do NOT let the police tow your vehicle! If it's safely and legally parked somewhere, don't admit having a car.

There are two reasons for this. First, when towing your car, they will inventory its contents. There's another phrase for that: "unwarranted search". You will be charged with anything illegal they happen to find, even if they have to *nudge-nudge-wink-wink* "find" it.

Second, if your vehicle is towed, you'll have to pay the towing and impound fees, which could add up to more than the fine for whatever civil disobedience you've performed. You'll most likely need cash (or handy ATM access) to retrieve a towed vehicle.

Towing is a tactic commonly used in Texas to allow a vehicle search. All traffic violations are misdemeanors here. With the exception of two offenses (open container or seat belt violations), a Texas cop can place you under arrest for any traffic offense. The generally only do that if someone refuses to sign the ticket (which is a promise to either appear in court or plead guilty and pay the fine). But, if they really, really want to search a car, they don't even have to offer the ticket. They can just place the driver under arrest, and tow and "inventory" the vehicle.

Yet another reason to get the hell out...

Kevin

ethanpooley

Unless you are driving, there shouldn't be any requirement to have ID. In most states you have to identify yourself and must be truthful about it, but that is not a requirement to prove your identity. You just have to state it. And unless there is a state law that requires you to identify yourself, you don't even have to do that. I know here in WA there is one. Does anyone know what the law is on this subject in NH? Regardless of what the law is, people engaging in civil disobedience should always identify themselves and give proper home addresses (if they have them). But I would recommend against carrying ID.