• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Flood victims decline FEMA money, get screwed by DES

Started by KBCraig, July 23, 2007, 12:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

natalie may i include your letter in the news release?  also how about posting it here?

TackleTheWorld

I'm free on Monday, anyone else in Keene/vicinity?

Kat Kanning

Yes.  What time does it happen?  Did you want to ride with us?

Kat Kanning

Douglas Smith
P.O. Box 95
29 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-2913
FAX (603) 271-6683

Dave Ridley

On July 23 the Union Leader ran a story explaining how the Department of Environmental Services is persecuting a Kingston family:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Kingston+family+battles+state+in+wetlands+dispute&articleId=8fb4aefb-8316-4675-a6b7-0a390d03ae24

In response, a small group of activists from NHfree.com will protest in front of the offending bureaucracy.   One or more of our signs will read "DES bankrupts flood victims."   

Thanks for informing the public about this controversial use of state power.

What:   Demonstration against NH Dept. of Environmental Services
Why:    Their persecution of Brouck family, flood victims in Kingston
When:  Monday, July 30, 2007.   10:00a - 11:30a
Who:    Activists from NHfree.com, projected turnout: 7
Where:  Outside DES office, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord NH
Contacts:  (Natalie, Kat) 
Updates: http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=9836.msg170914#new

TackleTheWorld

Dave Ridley

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

Bill Brouck owns

Salem Sign 
284 N Broadway
Salem, NH 03079-2168
Phone: (603) 898-0808

it'll be late notice, but maybe someone can call him and let him know about the demonstration tomorrow morning.  we'll be on the road when the sign shop is likely to open tomorrow (err, today, I guess)

TackleTheWorld

I called Bill Brouck and told him the time and place of the demonstration.  He thanked us for taking action on his behalf and asked what group we were.  I said, today there are a group of free-staters.  He didn't ask what a free stater was.

More pictures of the event

KBCraig

Gard

Quote from: KBCraig on July 23, 2007, 12:55 AM NHFT
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Kingston+family+battles+state+in+wetlands+dispute&articleId=8fb4aefb-8316-4675-a6b7-0a390d03ae24

Kingston family battles state in wetlands dispute

By JENNIFER DEPAUL
Union Leader Correspondent

KINGSTON – The Brouck family has a simple request -- they just want to live in their home again.

Melissa and Bill Brouck and their five children, victims of the 2006 Mother's Day flood, have been living in an apartment in Hampton since last August.

During the flood, Great Pond rose 3 feet, flooding the family's dirt basement and caving in the foundation of their 1950s cape-style home. The town told the Broucks they would have to tear down the house because the foundation wouldn't be able to support one snow load, Melissa Brouck said.

The Broucks have a sheaf of building permits and blueprints signed off on by the town. The Health and Building inspector also signed off on the location. The Broucks also had all of their immediate neighbors sign a release approving of the new construction. Work started on the house in September. In February, the Department of Environmental Services issued a cease-and-desist order against the Broucks for changing the house dimensions and violating the 1992 Shoreline Protection Act. Construction was halted.

"It appears that there are several issues in this case including expansion of the existing footprint, expansion of exterior dimensions, and conversion of areas to living space," K. Allen Brooks, assistant attorney general for the Environmental Protection Bureau, said. "It does not appear that DES or the town was ever properly informed of the actual magnitude of the project. The Broucks were informed of the provisions of the Shoreland Act but never asked for the waiver that would be needed for this project. The assertion that this is a repair of an existing structure appears to be in conflict with the facts known to DES."

Now the Broucks -- who both have long commutes to their jobs and spent the last year driving their five children to schools in the Sanborn Regional School District -- are hoping a DES hearing for their case can be expedited.

"I feel like we are criminals, like we did something wrong," Melissa Brouck said. "Every time we turn around it's another road block."

The family, which did not have flood insurance, decided not to apply for aid from FEMA. Instead, the Broucks took out a second mortgage, hoping to avoid any bureaucratic delays.

"We thought it was the right thing to do. Now we have a high mortgage, and are paying about $3,500 a month for a house we can't live in," Melissa Brouck said. "We lose money every day we aren't in the house."

The family had originally hoped the reconstruction would take three months.

"The community has been great," said Bill Brouck, noting the family received a 30 percent discount from Cyr Lumber.

For the entire 2006-2007 school year, Melissa and Bill Brouck drove their children to three different schools. Melissa Brouck said it was nearly impossible to get all of their kids -- Krista, 17, Joanna, 16, Kevin, 12, Michael,10, and Lily, 9. -- to school on time. As a result, they were late some 70 times.

"I am afraid the school system will say the kids won't be able to attend school this year because we haven't been living in the area," Bill Brouck said.

He had been looking forward to coaching another season of pop Warner football, but admits he and his sons won't be able to participate because of their housing complications.

Both Melissa and Bill Brouck -- she works 60 hours a week at Lawrence General Hospital and he owns Salem Sign off Route 28 in Salem -- said they are feeling overwhelmed.

"We just want to be home. We have commuted the kids so many times and they are so stressed out. The entire school year wasn't normal," Melissa Brouck said. "To even imagine them doing this for another year -- I just can't do it to them."

As Bill Brouck lays out all of his building permits and correspondence with the DES on the hood of his car, he said he is all for keeping Great Pond environmentally safe. In 1998, he said he put in a new septic tank.

"We are desperate and running out of money," Bill Brouck said. "I'm sure the state's position is valid, but we haven't even been able to meet with them."

The Broucks' appeal to lift the cease-and-desist order has been accepted by the DES and the Broucks are waiting for the wetlands department to review the site. The Broucks have since hired an attorney, Michael Hatem who has been fighting for an expedited hearing of their case so that they can start building again, hopefully in time for the new school year. Their hearing is slated for the end of August.

WOW... Incredible. I want to contact Bill.. can anyone pass that on to them or offer my e-mail to them. I'm filling in for Jack Heath on WTPL on Friday, Aug 3, and it would be great to talk about this. -- Gard

Gard

Just left a message for Bill . If anyone I get it set up for Friday afternoon with him, I'll let you know so you can call in if you want.

You guys really have things covered!

G

Gard

Bill just called back, and he'll be on when I do the fill-in for Jack. We'll probably bring him in at 4:10 pm, on wtpl. Feel free to call if you'd like to lend support. He said Fox 25 will do a piece on the story on Saturday.

Take care all --
:-)

Gard

Kat Kanning