• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Freedom to Travel" Event

Started by Kat Kanning, May 17, 2005, 06:33 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

SAK

That UK plane being grounded for 7 hours is unbelievable.  At least they gave them 2 glasses of water to calm them down.

The water in the UK has an incredible calming effect!  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3545684.stm

Nation of 60 million if memory serves me right -- this article says Prozac prescriptions were as high as 24 million as of 2001 (up from 9 million during the previous decade).  I bet it's even higher now.  Probably half the population is drugged up.  And mysteriously enough it's getting in the drinking water!  Imagine that.

Kat Kanning

Police roadblocks to remove unlicensed drivers challenged
From wire service reports

A controversial police technique to remove unlicensed drivers from the roads is being challenged on civil rights grounds, and another federal court decision is expected soon, it was reported today.

Police across California are using temporary roadblocks to find unlicensed drivers, and impound their cars. But Latino rights groups say that practice is discriminatory and aimed at undocumented workers, who are unable to pay for their cars' steep impound fees.
Tony's on The Pier

Los Angeles and Orange counties have joined several other agencies in supporting a state law that requires cars driven by unlicensed or uninsured motorists to be impounded on the spot, and towed to a storage yard.

Three civil rights law firms have sued several agencies, including the City of Los Angeles, for impounding cars owned by illegal aliens, who are barred by state law from getting drivers licenses. The suit claims that Latinos are being singled out in an unconstitutional, sweeping move that violates constitutional protections against unreasonable police conduct against all persons, not just U.S. citizens.

``We've heard a lot of complaints from the Latino community,'' said Bill Flores, a San Diego County Latino organizer, in an interview with the Oceanside North County Times. He noted that the impound fees of $1,500 must be added to towing and administrative fees that can go above another $400.

The groups argue that the cars should be parked safely and the motorists cited, so the cases can be heard in court. Some licensed drivers have lost their cars when they could not find their insurance documents at the roadblocks, or if they lent the car to an unlicensed driver, and could not afford to get them out of impound.

But the government attorneys argue that state law is aimed at protecting the public by removing the cars driven by unlicensed, uninsured drivers from the streets immediately.

The state law, they said in court documents, is an extension of police powers to keep the roads free of unlicensed and uninsured drivers.

But recent decisions by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals have prompted a statewide association of police chiefs to warn its members that impounding cars merely because the driver is unlicensed is an unconstitutional seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

CNHT

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 24, 2007, 08:35 PM NHFT
But recent decisions by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals have prompted a statewide association of police chiefs to warn its members that impounding cars merely because the driver is unlicensed is an unconstitutional seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

It's done here all the time.

My friend was cuffed, and they towed the car. But it was not taken and kept, it was towed to home. No jail time...even though they could not find a valid license in the system.

For me, on Friday, they did not tow my truck, but I got a $60 ticket for being uninspected. This was unusual because I'd heard of people being towed before for that and thought it was a given.

Insurgent

I was recently stopped because my vehicle wasn't displaying current registration or inspection tags. Since I am new to NH I wasn't aware of all the NH statutes and was taken surprise because I didn't know that I wasn't all up-to-date.

Anyways, I was presented with a ticket/summons for non-registration but a warning on the non-inspection. I suspect that they didn't tow my vehicle for any number of reasons, not the least of which that I: am white, was driving home from work in Concord, was sporting an "ANTIGOV" license plate, 17 bumber-stickers, one which reads "I Do Not Consent to Being Searched". Or, maybe I just had a lucky day and am only being charged with a $100 fine  :-\

I've entered a plea of not guilty, to buy time if nothing else

Bald Eagle

Tyrants
Scaring
Americans

or Totally Screwing America / Totally Screwing-up Airtravel

Why  Taking So long Again?

Total
Scam
As far as I'm concerned...

Total
Sleazebags
Abrogating our Rights

Bald Eagle

D.C.
Hatching
Scare-tactics

Dickheads Having Seizures

Jim Johnson

Totally
Securing
America

from water bottles and shampoo.

Pat K

Well shampoo can sting your eyes you know.
Man some people are so ungrateful.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Insurgent on July 24, 2007, 09:16 PM NHFTam white, was driving home from work in Concord, was sporting an "ANTIGOV" license plate, 17 bumber-stickers, one which reads "I Do Not Consent to Being Searched". Or, maybe I just had a lucky day and am only being charged with a $100 fine  :-\
I think that lots of bumper stickers help prepare the cops like planned civil disobedience. It help keep you from being hurt so much. It also leads to conversations.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Insurgent on July 24, 2007, 09:16 PM NHFT
I was recently stopped because my vehicle wasn't displaying current registration or inspection tags. Since I am new to NH I wasn't aware of all the NH statutes and was taken surprise because I didn't know that I wasn't all up-to-date.

Anyways, I was presented with a ticket/summons for non-registration but a warning on the non-inspection. I suspect that they didn't tow my vehicle for any number of reasons, not the least of which that I: am white, was driving home from work in Concord, was sporting an "ANTIGOV" license plate, 17 bumber-stickers, one which reads "I Do Not Consent to Being Searched". Or, maybe I just had a lucky day and am only being charged with a $100 fine  :-\

I've entered a plea of not guilty, to buy time if nothing else

Something else you might not know is that you could have gotten that ticket in the parking lot of the MVD headquarters in Concord and you would not be able to  go into the building and registered your car.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Pat K on July 25, 2007, 01:05 AM NHFT
Well shampoo can sting your eyes you know.
Man some people are so ungrateful.

:hello:  If it's all about safety how come they don't let you keep your baby shampoo?   :D

Lloyd Danforth

I guess we know who flies often and, uses Johnson & Johnson

CNHT

Quote from: Insurgent on July 24, 2007, 09:16 PM NHFT
17 bumber-stickers

I noticed that they approach the vehicle with caution, likely due to the prominent NRA Life Member sticker displayed on the back! The Audi has the more explicit SAS one as well.

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on July 25, 2007, 07:57 AM NHFT
Something else you might not know is that you could have gotten that ticket in the parking lot of the MVD headquarters in Concord and you would not be able to  go into the building and registered your car.

You're right. i was stopped within 500 feet of the autoparts place where I was to get my inspection and there was no pleading with him to let me get over there for one...