• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Freedom to Travel" Event

Started by Kat Kanning, May 17, 2005, 06:33 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

"The FBI reviewed a report from Continental after the incident, Garcia said. No charges will be filed, she said."

Well ..... isn't that a relief. Maybe they will just send them a bill in the mail.

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on December 21, 2005, 01:16 AM NHFT
"The FBI reviewed a report from Continental after the incident, Garcia said. No charges will be filed, she said."

Well ..... isn't that a relief. Maybe they will just send them a bill in the mail.

I suppose TSA is still waiting on a certain check, eh? Have you gotten anything else from them?

Russell Kanning

jgmaynard

You know, we know for a fact that government doesn't care what people think (after all, McCain/Feingold essentially reassured the re-election of every congressman), but remember after 9/11 how the government was so panicked about the travel industry failing? Seems that scared them.... What may be effective would be a national boycott of airlines until the TSA relaxes the stupid rules. Just enough people saying "Firget it, the airlines go for this, they won't get my money." Enough publicity and signers to such a thing could stir the airlines to demand changes themselves, and THAT would likely be listened to by the Feds.....

JM

Lloyd Danforth

I'm guessing that this won't happen.  Most flying is unnecccessary, arbitrary, corporate perk, business flying. Taking trips on the stockholder's dime.

Dreepa

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 21, 2005, 10:42 AM NHFT
I'm guessing that this won't happen.? Most flying is unnecccessary, arbitrary, corporate perk, business flying. Taking trips on the stockholder's dime.
Are you sure about this?
I will admit that the last trip I took was unneccessary but the majority of trips I take along with many other business travellers are 'necessary'.
Trust me most people who travel for business would rather not fly at all. 
Trips on the stockholders dime.... those are usually private jets.

toowm

It's interesting to speculate how much air travel is really necessary. I fly 10-20 times a month, but usually I'm just going to and from a 2 hour meeting. I think it makes economic sense because there is still a big difference between face-to-face and telephone, or even video teleconference. Also, cell phones, Blackberries and computers allow me to work just about anywhere. Planes are a great place to catch up on reading.

In a free society, I can't tell if people would fly more or less.
Less - fewer compliance-type meetings, faster car, rail, and other options, better virtual technology
More - faster planes, lower prices, more global markets, spread-out families

As far as a perk goes, I've met few corporate employees that truly enjoy flying. Many do like having the frequent flyer miles for vacations, but I know quite a few who take driving vacations, to truly feel that they're away from the office.

Lloyd Danforth

If you work for a corporation and fly for them First Class, Business, economy or Baggage your flying on the stockholders dime.
If you sell, lets say, manufacturing machinery, you might have to travel to show how to set it up and run it.
If you're a courier of sensitive stuff, I guess you  have to travel.. If you sell items that are too expensive to ship samples, I guess you have to travel.
I would guess that most business travel could be done away with with video conference calling. If you provide a quality product or service, that people, actually, need and have a good reputation, I question the need for face to face.

Dreepa

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 21, 2005, 03:59 PM NHFT
I question the need for face to face.
I used to teach Computer class for Oracle.  I taught the online versions ( me lecturing on the phone and showing a computer screen) and in person.
In person is probably 100% better in 90% of the cases.  Most people just can't pay attention all day in front of a computer.

Now I help people install software.  I do it over the phone and in person.  Unless the person you are talking to over the phone is truly good it is much better to be in person.

I think that tech is making things better for less travel but there is certainly the need.
Trust me the last place I want to be in an airplane in the middle seat.  ( It is one of the reasons I left a company-- too much travel).

/off soapbox.

PS  My trips usually generated revenue and the ROI was good so the stockholders were usually happy.

Pat McCotter

My last plane travel was on Pfizer's corporate jet to Morris Plains NJ. No security check there. They have two jets that fly between Groton CT, Morris Plains NJ, and Ann Arbor MI.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Dreepa on December 21, 2005, 04:50 PM NHFT

PS? My trips usually generated revenue and the ROI was good so the stockholders were usually happy.

This is the part that counts.

I still wonder how much corporate travel is, just, arbitrary with the costs never compared with what the travel brings in.

Dreepa

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 21, 2005, 07:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on December 21, 2005, 04:50 PM NHFT

PS? My trips usually generated revenue and the ROI was good so the stockholders were usually happy.

This is the part that counts.

I still wonder how much corporate travel is, just, arbitrary with the costs never compared with what the travel brings in.
I agree that some people travel for no reason.  and they are the ones with high travel expenses too.  Big meals, fancy hotels, last minute flights.

KBCraig

I wonder if "shambling" is on their list of suspcious body language?  ;D

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/5695739/detail.html?rss=bos&psp=news

TSA Agents Trained To Monitor Passenger's Behavior
Program Rolled Out At Logan International Airport

POSTED: 6:15 pm EST December 28, 2005
UPDATED: 6:31 pm EST December 28, 2005
BOSTON -- Transportation Security Administration officials announced Wednesday that they have trained screeners at Logan International Airport to monitor passengers' body language.

NewsCenter 5's David Boeri reported that federal security agents will engage passengers in conversation in order to detect clues. Logan Airport was a major testing ground for the idea, which will be expanded nationwide.

The idea is to use airport screeners for more than checking carry-ons, pockets, shoes and bodies. After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Logan began training security personnel to observe passengers more closely.

"I believe that there are a number of physical manifestations of fear and stress and deception. We think those are clearly linked to criminal activity and terrorism," TSA Federal Security Director George Naccara said.

A select group of screeners were trained in psychology-based detection techniques that may be exhibited by passengers who warrant closer screening.

"In essence, someone who is acting particularly nervous at a checkpoint -- someone who might be looking for a partner, a team member. Someone who will not look one of our folks directly in the eye," Naccara said.

TSA screeners may ask passengers where they are traveling or for how long their trip will last to try to read the passenger's response.

Authorities said that the method of detection is objective.

"That's why I emphasize, again, that the training, the rigorous training, is so essential," Naccara said.

Behavioral analysis has led to no arrests of terrorists, officials said, and there's no proof of improved transportation security. But officials said they believe the technique is effective.

"We've had a number of cases in which we've identified people with outstanding warrants. We've identified folks involved in drug transactions and illegal amounts of cash being taken out of the country," Naccara said.

Russell Kanning

That is why they need to fine me a few thousand $ ..... training. Maybe they should ask passengers if they have received training at the NSA or whatever they are called now. Did they ever spend time in intense training with McVeigh or the manchurian candidate?

JonM

Tried the shoe swab thing a couple of weeks ago, but my  shoes had metal in em and set off the detector, but on the way home from Florida I wore sneakers, and while everyone else was trudging along in their socks I said I'd take the swab.

I wonder if that program is why the TSA guy was so chatty when I left logan to go to Florida . . . they have a new puffer machine in terminal A, it blasts you from below with air to dislodge any explosive residue that might be clinging to you.  I asked if they picked women out of line wearing skirts for fun . . .