• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Merrimack: signs in Spanish at town beach?

Started by KBCraig, August 01, 2007, 02:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Merrimack has rejected the idea of posting bilingual signs. I agree that government should not spend tax money for this, but it does give a great opportunity for "alternativists" to step in and privately fund the signs in the interest of public safety for all, including those who don't read English.

Anyone here in Merrimack? I'll kick in twenty bucks for signs en Espanol.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=In+Merrimack%2c+English+wins&articleId=e9eda5a1-d4db-4fb2-a746-f6c8d4dacb87

In Merrimack, English wins

By JIM KOZUBEK
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

Merrimack – Town councilors polled yesterday by the New Hampshire Union Leader said they would vote down a motion to put up bilingual signs at a public beach in town.

A majority of the seven-member council -- Finlay Rothhaus, Michael Malzone, Betty Spence and David McCray -- said they will reject bilingual signs at an Aug. 16 meeting.

Councilors Tom Mahon and Nancy Harrington were traveling this week and could not be reached. Councilor Tim Tenhave did not respond to the poll.

"This is our country, and I will never vote to put up signs in another language. I think that they can read the signs anyway. How do they read the highway signs or get a driver's license? It's a bunch of hooey and a cop-out. No hablo ingles," McCray said.

The parks department, police department and town staff have asked for a Spanish-language sign at Naticook Lake at Wasserman Park.

On some days, at least half the visitors at the beach are Spanish speakers; most are from Lowell, Lawrence and Nashua, officials say.

The police department says signs would prevent visitors from breaking park rules and claiming they don't understand them.

Some town councilors say visitors should be more respectful in the first place -- watch their children, be safe and not bring alcohol.

Merrimack took ownership of Wasserman Park in 1989, accepting state and federal funds that carried stipulations requiring the park be open to the public.

Town councilors say that is fine, and they have no intentions of charging any fees for park use.

Town hall received 10 phone calls yesterday morning in praise of councilors for standing up against the installation of Spanish-language signs.

The council's opposition to Spanish-language signs drew strong support from many readers yesterday at UnionLeader.com

"Finally, some councilmen with a backbone!" extolled Scott Dommin of Bedford.

"I just showed my German-born grandmother this article, and asked if she ever demanded that signs in Brooklyn, N.Y., be posted in German for her and the other German immigrants who arrived here in the 1930s. I have never seen her laugh so hard," wrote Christine G of Merrimack.

Some readers sided with the police department.

"The request for posting the rules in Spanish came from your town police officers, not a small-interest group crying discrimination over an English-only sign. The police department requested the sign to make their job easier and your life safer," wrote Mark Fitzgerald of Goffstown.

There were readers who also thought the town ought to wake up and get with the times. This came from Sarah G. in Merrimack:

"Wake up! New Hampshire will soon be no different (than Florida or Texas) and someday you may have no choice! My children and your grandchildren are going to school with kids of all different nationalities. Elmo even speaks Spanish! Time to stop lashing out against people who are different, and speak from realism and not fear."

alohamonkey

I was replying to the other thread on this but I think it would be a good idea and it would send a good message if someone just stepped up and made a damn sign.  I'll throw in $20.  I speak Spanish pretty well too so maybe I'll try to free up some time in the next week to make one.