• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Paper in the Works... can you help?

Started by RattyDog, August 01, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

RattyDog

This is x-posted in the Merrimack Valley Forum....Kat/Russ, please move/nix whichever one you would like. I x-posted because I thought there might be people with good advice for us who might not be in our area and therefore may not be checking that board!

Hello Liberty Lovers!

After much discussion and thinking and beer and spilled bourbon....it has occurred to us Manchvegas Rebels that a Newspaper for our area is going to be instrumental in rallying our neighbors and community members to our cause. The paper would be a lot like the Keene Free Press and if Kat and Russ agree to it, might even have some of the same stories.

The goal of the Manchester Paper would be to engage Manchester Citizens in discussion leading to action focused on very small local liberty/rights/laws related issues. We want to be more effective in aiding Citizens in our area, using baby steps, to get on the road to advocating for themselves/families/neighbors more often and in more effective ways.

Kat...you said something to me at the DES Protest that has stuck in my head. You said that a lot of people are just scared and that those people would have an easier time standing up and saying "I've had enough, get off my back you crazy gov't!" if they saw other people standing up first...well, this is our attempt and showing people that someone else is pissed but that we're doing more than grumbling and that we'd like them to join us in doing something more than grumbling!

A break down of some things we have discussed in the way of content:

~ Local stories to do with citizens/issues that matter to people in our neighborhoods.
~ Regular notices advising Citizens of what is going on in their local gov't. (Budget meetings they could attend, decisions that are being made, elections, etc.)
~ Articles containing information about some of what we do, FSP stuff, etc.

Basically, we're trying to distribute a paper that appeals to folks who are in our area, but outside our movement. Those people who may see us holding signs and think to themselves "What are these crazy people doing!"...we want to put a friendly, easier to swallow, face to this movement...we want to bring more citizens into this way of thinking, give them an outlet, a place to go to say "I'm so mad that they're trying to make me rent my dog from them, what can I do?".  I think they believe that this movement is not for them because they only hear of such polarizing issues as the Browns, etc...we want to show them that, no, it's more than that....it's about the bullshit that is going on right outside their front doors...you know?

Rob had a great idea at Murphy's last night....he suggested that starting this off as an insert in the Hippo might be the way to go...I have to say that sounds good to me! If we could get them to agree to that, it might make it a lot easier to start this thing up as far as distribution, printing, etc....I don't know. We'll have to see what they would agree to, what their terms would be, etc. We already know that it would increase their circulation as we have a group of people (us) who would already be interested in viewing this insert, also I know of, and a couple of other folks suggested, a few businesses who wouldn't mind advertising in the Hippo if we were going to have a spot in it, so....we'll see, but that sounds like a good avenue to explore.

Empowering citizens to make changes and advocate for their rights in their own life with their own efforts. That, in a nut shell, is the goal here...so we're starting from a good place. If we can get citizens to start thinking like citizens and seeing themselves as a body of people in charge of the way things run in their city...well, that's great.

So....now the hard part! I have the energy and (sort of) the time to get this up and running. What I have:

~ A great concept.
~ Great ideas
~ IT help and Proof-reading

What I need:

~ Advice from Kat and Russ!
~ Someone who would be willing to spend some time with me in doing "homework" on the Hippo and then going to speak with them with me.
~ ANY advice about layout, etc. when it comes to this sort of thing.
~ Just advice in general.

Anyone who would be willing to help would be much appreciated. If you can give a lot of time, a tiny bit of help in patches or even just a little help over the phone...we would appreciate it. Even if all you can give is encouragement....we need it! Anyone with any experience in this sort of small publication stuff...please, any tips you have, etc. would be great.

As we get our feet planted here and have a stronger clue as to what we need, I'll be able to post more specifics needs and things like that. If you are interested, post here or PM me... ;)

This is very exciting and wonderful and I think a good step in the right direction. Please, help us shape this; give us you ideas and even OPINIONS! That's right....even if you have no intentions of helping, but want to throw in your two cents about our ideas....go for it!

Thanks a lot,

Natalie.

(A.K.A: Girl who likes to bite off more than she can chew!)

P.S: Names??? What are you guys thinking??

Manchester Liberty Rag
Manchester Citizens News

I don't know....something good!

FTL_Ian

I think this is a great idea! 

Why not continue with a common theme in regards to the name:  "Manchester Free Press" ?

Quantrill

I have decent writing skills, so if I could contribute in some way, let me know.  Also, I hope the paper has a "spotlight" section where we would pick a local politician or quasi-celebrity figure who is doing something good or bad and we could make a big deal out of it (i.e. Chris Pappas or whatever-his-name-is from the Democrat party who basically called Republicans criminals due to their hosting a  machine gun shoot).

Rosie the Riveter

I agree that Manchester Free Press is excellent, but I do enjoy using the name Manchvegas for Manchester.. maybe it would alienate an older audience and I know your looking to attract a mainstream audience --  but we could do some thinking about something just a little more edgy like......

Manchvegas Lowdown or something more fuzzy like Manchester Community Message, or something that makes the reader think they are getting the inside scoop...like Manchester Watch...

Thoughts to consider.....

Recumbent ReCycler

I like the name Manchester Free Press.  It sounds good and is easily remembered.

FTL_Ian

I am not a newspaper advertising expert, and I think you should look into it as an option, but you're going to be paying ad rates for any inserts in the Hippo. 

You'd be much better off taking that money and investing in printing and distributing your own paper, instead of helping your competitor's bottom line.

1.  Get quotes from printers.  (I'm sure whoever is printing the Keene Free Press will give you a fair quote.)
2.  Secure distribution locations: convenience stores, bars, restaurants, and anywhere else you see free publications distributed.
3.  Decide on your printing schedule.  The Keene Free Press used to be biweekly; it is now once per month. 
4.  Gather content / Secure advertisers
5.  Print / Distribute

Quantrill

How about a compromise and use Manch Free Press?   

Personally, I think Manchvegas Lowdown is a good idea, but whatever...

alohamonkey

I think this is a great idea.  I was thinking the same thing a few days ago when I read one of Kat's articles from KFP.  Manchester needs something similar.  I have some writing abilities to contribute but, having only lived in NH for less than two years, I'm not too ingrained into the NH/Manchvegas culture yet.  I like the idea of starting it as an insert in the Hippo.  Another idea would be to do something similar to the "Daily Buzz."  I think that's what it's called . . . have you ever seen it?  Julien's Restaurant on Bridge St. always has this one-page (front and back) publication that highlights local news, quirky national news, etc.  They're in a display box and you can pick them up and they're the perfect size to read during lunch or breakfast. 

Also, I think I have some connections who could print in bulk for us.  They're located in Boston though.  Oh . . .and I have very very basic, limited design experience. 

I like Manchester Free Press. 

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Quantrill on August 01, 2007, 02:09 PM NHFT...a local politician or quasi-celebrity figure who is doing something good or bad and we could make a big deal out of it (i.e. Chris Pappas or whatever-his-name-is from the Democrat party who basically called Republicans criminals due to their hosting a  machine gun shoot).

Is Chris Pappas still in the legislature?  I remember him from the early 1980s.  A Portsmouth radio station I often listened to played a tape of him saying, "That bill is like a bad pizza.  Everytime you think you got it down, it keeps coming back up."  The party he was a member of back then was actually the Democratic Party.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Quantrill on August 01, 2007, 02:26 PM NHFT
How about a compromise and use Manch Free Press?   

That would certainly make a better/alternate URL for the website.

FTL_Ian

This is an especially good idea, as both papers can syndicate content back and forth, making aggregating content for publication much easier.

FTL_Ian

Once you've decided on a name, you should decide on the URL and register that ASAP.

WithoutAPaddle

I get a kick out of reading New Hampshire's incumbent "paper of record" when I visit New Hampshire a few times a year.  A typical front page might include an article on a minor league baseball team, the results of some local tomato growing contest and a preview of what rock band will be playing next at the Civic Center.  And even though they try to act like Aerosmith's fan magazine, I have never seen them report the New Hampshire connection of bass player Brad Whitford, who camped at Swain's Lake Park (Union Lake, on your maps) in the early 1960s.  We used to fish for "kibbys" using hotdogs for bait.

The only recurring story I remember having seen reported in the Union Leader in this century that might pass for "investigative journalism" is the one about some contract for a private company to furnish pizza to the school cafeterias.  I think I've seen that reported on about half a dozen times over the last few years.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Bill Loeb.

WithoutAPaddle

Get it while its hot!  About 35 years ago, a friend of mine was setting up a restaurant and had chosen a name for it.  One weekend, an uncle of his went vacationing and met someone else in the restaurant business whose restaurant, it turned out, sported that same exact name. He then told that restraunteur that his nephew was opening up a restaurant with the same name.

On Monday morning, the uncle was back in town and told my friend that he had met someone who had a restaurant with the same name.  My friend immediately jumped in his car and drove to Concord to register the name, but by the time he got there (1 hr drive), he learned that the other guy had shown up first thing that morning and already registered the name.  True story.

Dreepa

I just bought it... now it will cost you $30... just kidding. :icon_pirat: