• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Paper in the Works... can you help?

Started by RattyDog, August 01, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Er...........maybe you could provide cartoons ;D  The primere edition could have Thomas Jefferson with his feet up in the stirrups, giving birth to The Manchfreepress. 

FTL_Ian

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 09:05 AM NHFT
This is going to rock! I SOOOOO want to quit my day job in this moment!! Argh.

Patience.  It may be awhile, but I would like to see Liberty Media like this become profitable for their creators someday.

d_goddard

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 10:37 AM NHFT
most of the worlds problems are caused by greed
Only when Government gets involved.
If you haven't read it... well, consider it a MIST READ. Besides, it'll get you off the forum for awhile ;)
Atlas Shrugged

Lloyd Danforth

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 02, 2007, 08:05 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 02, 2007, 07:39 AM NHFT
Quote from: Ogre on August 01, 2007, 06:41 PM NHFT
Ideas: Print weekly.  People want active news.  People want now.  With the internet, even weekly is slow.  If you go once a month, I think you'll get less traction (yes, I'm aware costs will be higher).
Even weekly you can't keep up with "news".... that is what Gore invented the internet for.

Yeah, weekly may be very difficult to pull off.  I would start slow.

I agree here. It'll look a lot better if we start slow and expand after a few months, rather than end up having to slow down because we don't have enough time to devote to it.

d_goddard

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 11:02 AM NHFT
I am not happy that "Freedom Fighting" doesn't pay well! Well, at least it doesn't pay well monetarily....but I feel very rich in spirit and happiness.
WARNING: FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM IS ADDICTIVE!
Especially here in NH, where ... holy shit... sometimes we even win!:)

Seriously, I feel your predicament. A lot of us do. I spent so much time in the State House the first few months of this year, I cannot honestly say it did not impact my for-pay work. And that's no small sacrifice: I've been working on a project for nearly a decade... I've given up on relationships in the past, because they were interfering with this work. I believe very strongly in what I'm doing in my professional life and I love doing it.
Thank god the legislature is only in full swing a few months out of the year!

Several of the best people I know are going away to (or are already in) college or law school, and as such can't do even a tenth as much as they want to. I say, keep your focus on your education, and come back to us a fully-trained Jedi, ready to fight!

You have to pace yourself.
You have to keep your financial shit together.
You will ten times more effective as a financially stable person.
Now focus on your day job and save NHFree for after work!

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 09:01 AM NHFT
You are my new best friend. Help us.....we need face time. Do we care to make a meeting, to try and get as many folks together to discuss this as is possible?? I need to see faces to get visuals when I'm talking to folks about stuff like this. Layout and how to turn articles into a paper is my biggest brain crunch right now....I'm jsut not sure how to do it. What software do we need for this? Braddog, i am checking my email immediately. I'll respond asap.

We could meet sometime this weekend at Murphy's maybe? There's the Merrimack Valley Porcs meeting Saturday morning; I can hang around after that and we could work on this.

Inc. our "business" might be a good thing and might be a bad thing...is there a better way to set us up? Obviously we won't be making any money at this, so I'm not worried about the tax man or Johnny Law poking us in the eye...but I don't know how "above board and signed up" we want to be...you know? Does anyone know about this?

Incorporating means the company exists as a separate legal entity from any of us. This is important if someone were to sue the paper for libel or slander; it means the company and not any of us personally are responsible ("limited liability"). It also allows the company to transact business (e.g., renting office space, ordering print runs, ...) in its own name, so if any of us volunteers were to leave the company, said transaction remains with the company and not the volunteer who executed it.

There are different types of corporations we could form; I'll look into this more. The standard C corporation is where you get taxed as a separate entity, then there are LLCs where the taxation is passed through to officers, so any money is just taxed as their own personal income. Then there's the 26 USC 501 stuff we may want to look into, if we're going to be any sort of "non-profit" entity. (This is how the well-known 501(c)(3) charities are organized, but there are other types of non-profits, too.)

Also, if I understand corporate taxation properly (don't quote me on this yet), if your company makes $0 at the end of the year, you owe no taxes. Corporate taxation isn't based on income alone, it's income minus expenses.

Thank yo usoooooo much for scooping that up...that is great. Now...who knows anything about setting up a ewb page, or do we not want to focus on that right now? That may be the cheapest and least stressful part of all of this and would give us something...you know? I'm making eyes at Jeremy and Error right now...what can we do with the website, what do you need from me?

I can handle the web setup; let's discuss what we actually want when we meet in person (perhaps this Saturday).

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 11:02 AM NHFT
It's sooo bad Dennis; I am on the phone with applicants and on the forum, I am in a conference call....and checking the forum, I'm barely able to rip myself away to feed myself...I sometimes have two screens up at once!!

Firefox. Then you can have four dozen tabs open at once. ;D

Rocketman

Quote from: d_goddard on August 02, 2007, 11:16 AM NHFT

You have to pace yourself.
You have to keep your financial shit together.
You will [be] ten times more effective as a financially stable person.

I should print this out and post it on my wall, eh Denis?   ;)

Catching up after months of underemployment...

Rocketman

Dave Ridley

ratty:
touch base with "dalebert" on this forum if u like.   maybe he can build political cartoons for you.

Dave Ridley

J.J. Luna's 3 rules of starting a business:

1) Start small
2) Never take a business partner
3) Go where the money circulates (i.e. go where the rich people are).

Dave Ridley

I like the idea of starting the paper online-only at first.  It's basically free, and you get a chance to work out some content kinks before you are saddled with the distribution kinks.

The site should have a link called "discussion forum" which points to
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0

I will be helping on a spontaneous and intermittent basis; that's how I do everything in this movement.

Braddogg

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 12:33 PM NHFT
Photographer:

We just need a camera, at some point. I don't know...maybe I'll buy one? Anyone have one? Maybe I'll post on Porc Trading post that we need one? I don't have liberty dollars, but I'd be willing to pay cash money...?

We wouldn't need an expensive camera, either.  Just an average digital camera would work fine.  When I was in Jerusalem, I covered a few events for The Jerusalem Post (#2 English paper in the country) and had pictures printed that I took with my $200 digital camera.

YGM, Ratalie :)

Rosie the Riveter

You can count on me for --

Kate/Rosie: Whip Cracker/Deadline Setter/Motivator

& Chief Sounding Board, Well Wisher, Writer, Donor/Investor, being an editor of the paper is not my ball of wax.. remember I'm working on starting a day school, running exsisting orgs and revolutionizing education in Manchester.  ;)

In the meantime....anyone have thoughts on Jeremy's ideas for incorporation? I run an incorporated business...but we make money and pay (obscene) taxes...so I don't know how it would be for us since we won't be making money. I also have experience in running a 501(c)(3)...it was sweet, but I don't know that it was sweet because it was 501/. You know? So...I don't know.

I currently run three 501(c)3s, one of which I started from scratch (big long time consuming pain in the ass), I also have experience setting up and managing an LLC, a partnership, and a sole proprietorship --

To decide our corporate structure it will take  -- thought, research, in-depth discussion and possibly liberty-minded legal consultation. I will research the corporate structure of similar newspapers and come up with the pros and cons of each based on our principles and beliefs. You can assume though that it will take us months to get to that decision point so don't let the corporate structure be a road block to beginning to write and publish online or otherwise.

I am away this weekend, but fill me in on any meetings that may happen this weekend.

I would recommend a face to face meeting with interested individuals within the next two weeks.

error

If you want to bring even more people in, then perhaps discussing it at Taproom Tuesday would be a very good idea. :)