• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Paper in the Works... can you help?

Started by RattyDog, August 01, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 03, 2007, 12:20 PM NHFT
What do you think about setting up forum software like this, and perhaps a Wiki, on the Manchester Free Press site? It would be easier to use than email or PMs for collaborating and coördinating our efforts. And we don't get interrupted when someone else's database falls on its face. ;)

I think that's definately the way to go when organizing a project. So much of it is a consistent recognizable and relatively low maintenance interface that provides a lot of communication potential.

dalebert

Quote from: RattyDog on August 03, 2007, 02:07 PM NHFT
Would this be something that only we could see?? I don't want to direct anyone tothe site if when they go there the ywill be able to see what we discussed in getting this operation up and running,,,you know?

The Pride High site that's linked in my signature has a section of threads that's only visible to certain people with a certain membership status. I believe you can create threads like that and have public threads where the public can comment on articles and discuss topics and so forth. You could even have threads for things like editorial replies that we could pick quotes from.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: dalebert on August 03, 2007, 03:26 PM NHFT
Would this be something that only we could see?? I don't want to direct anyone tothe site if when they go there the ywill be able to see what we discussed in getting this operation up and running,,,you know?

The Pride High site that's linked in my signature has a section of threads that's only visible to certain people with a certain membership status. I believe you can create threads like that and have public threads where the public can comment on articles and discuss topics and so forth. You could even have threads for things like editorial replies that we could pick quotes from.

That sounds like a great solution...

J’raxis 270145

I've only looked at SMF (the forum software) a bit so far, but I think boards can be made wide open, locked down to any registered users, or locked down to any specific user names. You can also control registration (e.g., require an admin to approve the registration), so random people can't just walk in and register. It looks pretty configurable.

MediaWiki, the best wiki engine, doesn't support fine-tuning of who can view a page, but I was thinking that would be for internal use only, perhaps to put together a knowledge base, or to collaborate on article writing, or something. So to lock it down, we'd just put it entirely behind authorization handled by the webserver itself.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RattyDog on August 03, 2007, 03:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on August 03, 2007, 03:26 PM NHFT

+1 for having the best freaaakin' idea all day!

That's great...we can have locked threads for us to hash out our inner workings type stuff and then have threads where people can eventually come to discuss things we;ve written...that wouldbe great, especially since the people would then be writing it write there, we could have something in our "agreement" to join and post that says "Anything you have written here may be used in our bi-weekly publication....blah blah blah", we can pull direct quotes straight from the posters.

Awesome idea, dalebert.

Hey, now there's an idea. The public can post their stories directly to the forum. ;D

d_goddard

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 03, 2007, 04:15 PM NHFT
MediaWiki, the best wiki engine, doesn't support fine-tuning of who can view a page
MediaWiki is the most popular, but not the "best" by a god-damn longshot.
I strongly recommend Twiki:
http://twiki.org/

It *does* let you control who can view, and/or edit, on a page-by-page or for that matter "web-by-web" (group of pages) basis.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: d_goddard on August 03, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 03, 2007, 04:15 PM NHFT
MediaWiki, the best wiki engine, doesn't support fine-tuning of who can view a page
MediaWiki is the most popular, but not the "best" by a god-damn longshot.
I strongly recommend Twiki:
http://twiki.org/

It *does* let you control who can view, and/or edit, on a page-by-page or for that matter "web-by-web" (group of pages) basis.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this one.

J’raxis 270145

Interesting, there is a Manchester Free Press in Manchester, England, too. And from the looks of the subjects WorldCat shows it covering, they might be doing similar work to ours.

This article says there was a Manchester Free Press that predated the Hippo here. Article's by a John "jaQ" Andrews... JaqEboy, is that you?

Google only shows 407 results total for the name so at least there's nothing major out there using the name at the moment.

d_goddard

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 03, 2007, 08:38 PM NHFT
Interesting, there is a Manchester Free Press in Manchester, England, too. And from the looks of the subjects WorldCat shows it covering, they might be doing similar work to ours.
It would be So Cool for y'all to have a link exchange!!  8)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: d_goddard on August 03, 2007, 08:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 03, 2007, 08:38 PM NHFT
It would be So Cool for y'all to have a link exchange!!  8)

I think it's a paper-only publication. Other than that WorldCat citation for it (WorldCat is some kind of online card catalog it appears), I can't find much on 'em. Very scant information in those Google results, too; they mostly seem to be bibliographic citations for the paper.

d_goddard

Yer light-years ahead of 'em... so when they google, they'll find... us...mwwuahahaaaa!!

J’raxis 270145

Everyone:—

I emailed the guy who hosts my personal site to find out about hosting. If I don't hear back by Tuesday, I'll look into the hosting service I heard Seth runs that NH Tea Party uses. I told him we basically just need a webserver (I install all the apps such as Drupal, SMF, a wiki, a webmail client, &c.), and attendant database used by such apps, and a mailserver for basic POP/SMTP/IMAP mail access. Did I miss anything?

Natalie:—

What are we looking for price-wise? What do you think we can afford per month for hosting? Have you gotten enough ad offers for us to begin working out a budget, so to speak?

Rosie the Riveter

I have a family member that can do hosting for us if we want to use him.  I am glad to cover the cost of the first couple of months of hosting to get us up and running.

Unless Error does hosting and we want to give him the business... Error hosting?

Dreepa

Depending on cost and when the first few issues come out... I will order some ads.
PM me once you have some details.

error

Error really does not want to be in the hosting business.