• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Paper in the Works... can you help?

Started by RattyDog, August 01, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: MatthewDP on August 05, 2007, 10:14 PM NHFT
I'd love to help...even though I'm currently in South Dakota. I run the college newspaper here at Dakota State University and have more IT skills than you can shake a stick at. If you guys need a fancy website with a content management system and lots of widgets, I'll do it. Let me know... paulsonm <at> pluto.dsu.edu

Nice. We have someone coming up with a layout for us in the next couple days, and I'll be doing all the system/server administrative parts of the IT, but we may be able to use your help getting our layout into/onto the website itself. I'll have a lot more concrete info on what CMS we're using, if any, after Tuesday, when the folks in Manchester are all meeting in person.

Russell Kanning

don't you wish MSN was as reliable as this forum ;D

It must be all the massive funding we get from Soros ... those poor microsoft guys have to work on a shoestring budget.

SethCohn

d_goddard

Ahhh.... that's how the Ministry goes after the Order.... anyone who says He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named causes him to appear...

J’raxis 270145

Just got a random phone call from someone who found my phone number, offering hosting services. He's going to email me and I'll see what he's offering and PM it around.

Russell Kanning

I would go with the random phone call instead of the guy we already know and have experience with. ;)

Quantrill

There will be an Events section, right?  A calender listing all events going on in the Manchester area.  This would be one way to not only promote FSP-related events, but also any local concerts, Verizon events, social groups etc...  So the people know what's coming up, and can plan accordingly.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: RattyDog on August 06, 2007, 07:19 AM NHFT

Kate: Yes, he is. Hey...I"m going to be on the phone with you at some point today...and possibly on your porch tonight?

I am running a meeting tonight from 7 to 9 but am available after that... If you come by a little after 9:00 we can do a couple of hours. I do my best work from 9pm to midnight  8)

Let me know what your plans are...

Russell Kanning

Quote from: RattyDog on August 06, 2007, 03:27 PM NHFT
I'm cracking up, Russell, I'm just absolutely cracking up at this. You remind me of my Uncle Russell who, believe it or not, is taller than you *and* a bigger wise-ass!
I have not yet attained "Uncle Russell" status.
I was really disappointed when I stopped growing in 9th grade .... and I am working on all new comic material since I moved to NH.

... to the small group of people that do refer to me as "uncle Russell" ... I am not considered to be that funny. :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RattyDog on August 06, 2007, 03:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 06, 2007, 02:27 PM NHFT
I would go with the random phone call instead of the guy we already know and have experience with. ;)

I'm cracking up, Russell, I'm just absolutely cracking up at this. You remind me of my Uncle Russell who, believe it or not, is taller than you *and* a bigger wise-ass!

Jeremy:

See what this guy has to say and let's look at a comparison...and make a decision based on numbers and hunches. ;)

Also...check yer PM's homeboy!

Random cold-call dude never emailed me... maybe I should just wait to see what the \\//iAg|Ra spammers are offering in the way of hosting...

Avens O'Brien

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 12:33 PM NHFT
Photographer:

We just need a camera, at some point. I don't know...maybe I'll buy one? Anyone have one? Maybe I'll post on Porc Trading post that we need one? I don't have liberty dollars, but I'd be willing to pay cash money...?

I'm jumping a little late on this bandwagon and I'm still catching up on the posts, but I wanted to offer my photography services.

I've got a student-professional/serious-amateur grade digital camera (Canon Powershot S3IS, it's my baaaaby).  I'm a decent photographer myself, and the camera's smarter than I am, so together we're a fairly decent team.  (Actually, on a general self-plugging note, if anyone needs a low-key photographer for protests, rallies, speeches, weddings, parties, etc, I'm available with some advance notice and planning.  Just putting it out there.)

And if I can't make an event that someone else can, I'd be willing to "rent" out my camera with a blood contract that she won't be broken.  ;)

-Avens (the ever elusive lurker)

error

Avens O'Brien

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 03, 2007, 08:38 PM NHFT
Interesting, there is a Manchester Free Press in Manchester, England, too. And from the looks of the subjects WorldCat shows it covering, they might be doing similar work to ours.

This article says there was a Manchester Free Press that predated the Hippo here. Article's by a John "jaQ" Andrews... JaqEboy, is that you?

Google only shows 407 results total for the name so at least there's nothing major out there using the name at the moment.

*grins*

The Manchester Free Press, originally, was a newspaper founded by an old Manchester resident (May Gruber, I used to hear stories about her as a kid 'cause I grew up around all the little old ladies in the French neighbourhood here) as an outlet for news for the Democrats of the area, kind of an anti-Union MisLeader at the time...  The Hippo came later but followed the same vein.  ;)

Finding that a bit ironic now...

-Avens

supperman15

Im not sure if anyone brought up an arts section, i know there was mention of an events section.  I would be happy to do stuff with that, maybe a syndicated short story that might hook some people and encourage them to keep picking up the paper.  I did this for my school paper and it helped circulation a lot.  Could possibly do poetry or something else as well...

Braddogg

Interesting idea, supperman!  We'll kick the idea around a little, see if it sticks, but I think an arts page would be good.