• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question for about homeschooling

Started by Raineyrocks, August 15, 2007, 02:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Hi!

Does anyone join the Home school Legal Defense for $115 a year?  I did join them in Maryland every year that I homeschooled but I'm wondering if it is totally necessary. 
I was always worried about some nosy busybody in Girdletree reporting me for truancy so I figured I should cover my butt.  I will be homeschooling my 9 year old son this year and would love a link to home school events near Campton if anyone has one.  I looked on a lot of the links before that were given to me here but could never find any events in Grafton county close to where I live.
If there's not a group in my area could someone let me know how I could find local homeschoolers and set up a group myself?

Thanks! :)

Vote Tyler Stearns

Hey Rainey:  There are a lot of homeschoolers in our area - of the Christian variety.  They network a lot - especially for religious and athletic purposes.  Don't know as there's a formal "network" per se, or if this group is your cup of tea ;)

dawn

I have never joined HSLDA. I'm pretty sure they require a statement of faith and I think (not sure) that they require you to be using a curriculum of some sort. Anyhow, I know they have helped some homeschoolers with problems, but they have also caused problems in other states (like CT where I used to live).

Have you checked with the NH Homeschooling Coalition? Check out the website to find your closest district rep who may be able to help you find a local group. If there's no group close enough to you, start one! It's not hard - this time of year is great to meet for park or beach days where kids can play and parents can chat. Great fun for all!

toowm

We have been HSLDA members. There is no statement of faith or a curriculum required. But they are a very Christian group. We looked at them as a sort of insurance and also generally support their defense of homeschoolers getting harassed by government around the country. Kind of like an homeschooling IJ (Institute for Justice).

But they recently endorsed Huckabee, which really turned us off because Ron Paul is better on homeschooling (and so much more).

KBCraig

HSLDA is like the NRA -- too big to ignore, but sometimes too willing to compromise, instead of going for the whole enchilada.

There was some controversy in the last couple of years. I forget the details, but HSLDA actually worked to support a bill requiring some kind of standardized testing. I think it was in Mass., but don't quote me.

Edit to add:
Here is some criticism of HSLDA, and it leads with a quote from NH:

HSLDA has used its considerable clout time and again to establish laws that only they and a limited segment of the home education community can live under. Their vision of home education is very State controlled and regulated. Many families cannot comply with the laws HSLDA helps to pass.

- Doris Hohensee,
New Hampshire Alliance for Home Education.

I'm not a member of any HS organization, merely passing along things I've read about.

Henry

Quote from: KBCraig on August 15, 2007, 08:37 PM NHFT
HSLDA is like the NRA -- too big to ignore, but sometimes too willing to compromise, instead of going for the whole enchilada.

There was some controversy in the last couple of years. I forget the details, but HSLDA actually worked to support a bill requiring some kind of standardized testing. I think it was in Mass., but don't quote me.

HSLDA, NRA and other large high-profile organizations are designed by the powers that be for the purpose of compromising. They might not have started like that, but their leaderships have been taken over, just like the political parties and any mainstream organization one can think of. Slowly, gradually, everything will have been compromised away.

Raineyrocks

Thank you everybody for all of the information! :)

Kat Kanning

Raineyrocks

So when the end of the year evaluations have to be done can they be done via mail?  This website I looked at seems as though they can.
http://www.nhhomeschooling.org/testing.htm
I'm nervous with all of these different laws and now that I'm actually homeschooling up here.  I want to make sure I understand and do everything the right way. :)

dawn

Yes you can do your annual eval by snail mail. I order the CAT test from Seton Testing then send the composite results to the private school we are registered with. Then they send us an acknowledgment of receipt and that the kids met the eval requirement. Pretty painless.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dawn on August 27, 2007, 12:51 PM NHFT
Yes you can do your annual eval by snail mail. I order the CAT test from Seton Testing then send the composite results to the private school we are registered with. Then they send us an acknowledgment of receipt and that the kids met the eval requirement. Pretty painless.

Thanks Dawn! :)  So if I register my son with a private school, does it keep the state of it completely?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: malevil on August 15, 2007, 04:15 PM NHFT
Hey Rainey:  There are a lot of homeschoolers in our area - of the Christian variety.  They network a lot - especially for religious and athletic purposes.  Don't know as there's a formal "network" per se, or if this group is your cup of tea ;)

I tried to look on some websites and couldn't find an organized group for Campton.  Do you know of anyone that I can contact?  Thanks Malevil! :)

Raineyrocks

My 2 daughters are still going to public school, I lost the battle with my husband.  ::)

So as I was dropping my 11 yr old off today my son said it felt weird and good that he wasn't part of the chaos.  I'm just so darn nervous about the different laws up here, I hope I do everything okay. :-\

Vote Tyler Stearns

Quote from: raineyrocks on August 28, 2007, 07:36 AM NHFT
Quote from: malevil on August 15, 2007, 04:15 PM NHFT

I tried to look on some websites and couldn't find an organized group for Campton.  Do you know of anyone that I can contact?  Thanks Malevil! :)

Hi Rainey:  Been away for a while, so just seeing this post.  I don't know if there is an "organized" group, per se.  Let me think on it and let you know.