• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I'm starting to like these Merrimack town councilors

Started by Rosie the Riveter, September 08, 2007, 05:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie the Riveter

Toll protests and now this --

Merrimack rejects giving land for new courthouse
By JIM KOZUBEK
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent
18 hours, 14 minutes ago

MERRIMACK – Town council Thursday night voted against transferring land to the state for the construction of a new district courthouse.

"My reasons are that the state is nothing but takers, and they think they can get our prime real estate," council Chairman David McCray said yesterday. "They want to take our toll money, and now they want to take our land."

The motion to "inform the state we have no interest in giving town land to the state for the purpose of building the courthouse" passed in a 3-2 vote.

Councilors McCray, Betty Spence and Michael Malzone favored the motion; Tim Tenhave and Finlay Rothhaus were against. Nancy Harrington abstained.

Merrimack Police Department prosecutor Peter Albert initiated the request for a new district courthouse nine months ago, saying conditions of the present court now in the 1872 town hall were inadequate.

State Supreme Court chief justice John Broderick testified on behalf of the town before a legislative committee and made the project a priority for the court system.

State Rep. Chris Christensen lobbied hard for the courthouse, with the expressed backing of the town council, and gained legislative approval for the $7 million project.

Negotiations reached an impasse Thursday, according to town officials.

The town council wanted to set up a lease agreement with the state, but state officials said they would build a courthouse only if land was given to the state. Councilors would not agree.

"It is hard for me to change my convictions," said Councilor Michael Malzone. "I don't want to give my town's land away. It does not make me feel warm and fuzzy."

More @ http://www.unionleader.com/