• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ambigous Subjects

Started by Lex, September 26, 2007, 09:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people start threads with subject lines like:

Check this out...
Read this...
Have you seen this?

Or some other random combination of words that have absolutely no bearing on the contents of the thread.

For those that have a tendency to do this (and there are a lot of folks) I beg of you please use descriptive subject lines, that way people can can avoid clicking threads they are not interested in. Especially when "Have you seen this?" is in fact something I have already seen or "Read this..." is something I have already read. On the other hand if there is an interesting thread that's named "Read this..." there is almost no way to find it later on because there are a good amount of threads titled "Read this..." so you have to click into each one to see if that's the one you're looking far.

TackleTheWorld

Well whined, Lex

I get so frustrated and disappointed when people refuse to talk about something they are talking about.  "Words cannot describe", "You had to be there". or "Go read X book or see X movie"  make me want to yell
The experience is in YOUR brain, dufus, not mine. PULL IT OUT.  I'm listening, you are talking, don't put the burden on me to persuade myself to your viewpoint, cause YOU have the viewpoint.  You are describing the thing you want to convey, DESCRIBE IT!
To call something indescribable is to admit your failure to experience it, because you can't remember one detail of it. 

dalebert

Absolutely in agreement. I try to make my subject lines as informative as possible in a short space about what the thread is about. Some of the subjects are like those teaser movie ads that tell you nothing of what the movie is about and just hope to pique your curiosity. I hate those! TELL ME WHAT IT'S ABOUT! Even if I decide to click the teaser subject, odds are good that I'll forget what it was about when I come back later to read new posts. I mean, there are a lot of threads. It's easy to lose track without some organization.

J’raxis 270145

Yep. And if people email me with such subjects, it's most likely going to get deleted as spam without being opened.

mvpel

Count me in on this whine.  It's irritating no matter which web forum it occurs in.

KBCraig

It's even worse on the mailing lists, where some people don't understand that the subject line gets truncated. I delete a number of emailers unread, because they never post anything other than "Unbelievable! You have to see this! When are people going to wa..."

And then the message contains nothing but a URL with no explanation as to content.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on September 26, 2007, 09:39 AM NHFT
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people start threads with subject lines like:

Check this out...
Read this...
Have you seen this?

Or some other random combination of words that have absolutely no bearing on the contents of the thread.

For those that have a tendency to do this (and there are a lot of folks) I beg of you please use descriptive subject lines, that way people can can avoid clicking threads they are not interested in. Especially when "Have you seen this?" is in fact something I have already seen or "Read this..." is something I have already read. On the other hand if there is an interesting thread that's named "Read this..." there is almost no way to find it later on because there are a good amount of threads titled "Read this..." so you have to click into each one to see if that's the one you're looking far.

Yikes I'm so guilty of doing this! :blush:  I didn't know it was annoying, sorry! :)

dalebert

Quote from: raineyrocks on September 26, 2007, 07:02 PM NHFT
Yikes I'm so guilty of doing this! :blush:  I didn't know it was annoying, sorry! :)

By the power invested in me as... uhm... like the class clown of NHFree I guess, I hereby forgive you of all sin!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on September 27, 2007, 09:37 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on September 26, 2007, 07:02 PM NHFT

By the power invested in me as... uhm... like the class clown of NHFree I guess, I hereby forgive you of all sin!

And with the power invested in me as me I hereby declare you as the greatest! ;D

David

I didn't know a Forenghi could forgive sins,...for free.   ;D

dalebert

Quote from: David on September 28, 2007, 12:28 AM NHFT
I didn't know a Forenghi could forgive sins,...for free.   ;D

Ah, you assume because you saw no funds exchange on the public boards.

Rule of Acquisition 122: Conduct all negotiations under the table whenever possible.  >:D

Braddogg

When I announced my move to Manchester, Rochelle thought I was talking about someone giving birth :)

Dreepa

Rochelle

QuoteWhen I announced my move to Manchester, Rochelle thought I was talking about someone giving birth
To be fair, there is a couple in Manchester that is expecting a "newest mover" in October :P

You're not a newest mover, you're a new mover, slightly used :P

NHRes2004

Give me ambiguity or give me something else!