• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

local sources for self sufficiency stuff

Started by porcupine kate, October 01, 2007, 08:54 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

I was hoping people might be able to make a list of New Hampshire locations for supplies and equipment that would useful for the budding survivalist.

I'm looking for all sorts of things for food storage to home improvement to firearm related items to local nurseries that specialize in local heirloom plants.

Also post any good deals that you find.

I know Joe Brown has great heating systems for the home.

Insurgent

It's not all local, but there is a forum that you might find right up your alley  :) http://www.peakoilstore.com/forum/index.php

porcupine kate

Does anyone know of a good local nursery specializing in heirloom fruit and vegetables.

Also I'm looking for a good restaurant supply store that sells to the public.  I went to one in San Francisco years ago and would love to find one here.

Where are the really good independent hardware stores?

Who carries the best camping gear and military surplus.

Are there any NH locations for nitro packed or freeze dried foods.

Who has canning supplies cheap that isn't Walmart

MaineShark

Quote from: porcupine kate on October 16, 2007, 08:35 PM NHFTDoes anyone know of a good local nursery specializing in heirloom fruit and vegetables.

I'll ditto that.  We're trying to plant useful things, rather than only-decorative.  Need some nut trees, and there's apparently a particular cranberry bush/tree that is hard to find, but out-performs the ground-cover sorts.

Joe

srqrebel

There are "dented can" type discount groceries all over.  My favorites are Mr. G's in Winchester and Stan's Discount in Westmoreland.

I am currently offering bandaids, alcohol wipes, iodine wipes, and trash bags to my NHfree friends at no charge... the place where I work tends to waste a steady stream of good product, and they don't mind me salvaging it.  Just PM me if you are interested.

firecracker joe

last time i knew there was a good restaurant supply, equipment store right off the traffic circle in manchester off exit 6 from 293.

the only nursery i know of is run by the state and it is near the merrimack county jail within a few miles i think and certain times of year they have a wide variety of native plants trees and bushe
I bet you can find the catalog on line.

jaqeboy

Quote from: porcupine kate on October 01, 2007, 08:54 PM NHFT
I'm looking for ... local nurseries that specialize in local heirloom plants.

Not nurseries, but a couple of seed companies:

Johnny's Selected Seeds, Winslow, Maine, (might be expensive)

Fedco Seeds (a co-op), Clinton, Maine (Waterville P.O. box) - have an annual tree sale - they list "hardy fruit and nut trees..." on the site.

guy in Mercer, Maine that specializes in saving heirloom seeds big time (grows them to save) - not on the internet, but I can find out his name and address in a week or so.

Not necessarily local, but SeedSavers Exchange might be good.

jaqeboy

Quote from: porcupine kate on October 01, 2007, 08:54 PM NHFT
I'm looking for ... local heirloom plants.

Also might want to contact the folks at NOFA-NH (Northeast Organic Farming Association, New Hampshire Chapter).

They have a FoodMap project that looks interesting.

Pat K

kola

I LOVE flea markets!!!

You guys have flea markets in NH?

lots of bargooons there.

KOla

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: porcupine kate on October 16, 2007, 08:35 PM NHFT
Where are the really good independent hardware stores?

Who has canning supplies cheap that isn't Walmart
independent of what or who?
why cheap stuff that is not from walmart?

porcupine kate

I'm looking for a old fashion local hardware store that carries a different selection of goods than your average Ace Hardware does.  Old time hardware stores are something I miss from my childhood and would love to find one up here.

Walmart.  I was hoping to find another store to check out the competition and see if their customer service is better. 

Lloyd Danforth

I agree.  When hardware stores become Ace or some of the similar affiliations, their stock becomes limited and you can't get a lot of the stuff that was available before.