• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NHFree.com tech issue

Started by FTL_Ian, June 08, 2005, 01:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Did their tech support get back to you, Kat?  Did you want to pass me his email, and I'll see if he'll work with me on this?

FTL_Ian

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

Did their tech support get back to you, Kat?  Did you want to pass me his email, and I'll see if he'll work with me on this?

president

JonM

he.net just doesn't want to be fun.  Plenty of other places that are cheaper the site could be hosted at that allowed unlimited domains to point to the same place.  My sister just got an account at westhost.com, $14.95 a month if you sign up for 2 years, you get a Virtual Virtual Private Server (not true root access).  So far so good, but they did say they might host 50-400 virtual servers on a box, so time will tell how well it scales up.  Comes with a nifty shopping cart if you wanted to sell more stuff . . .

1&1 is dirt cheap, I signed up for a work website for some side projects.  The Windows hosting annoyed me because you couldn't connect to the SQL server with enterprise manager, but there should be less issues with linux hosting.  Either the $10 or the $20 a month account looks like it would work, and they offer a 90 day money back guarantee.  That price even includes 3 or 5 domain registrations (respectively).

You can sign up, see if you can port the site over, test it with some other domain and then if everything works, switch the real site over.  If it doesn,'t, get your money back and bag it.

Michael Fisher

Whatever you do, don't sign up with Web.com.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Kat Kanning

Is there a certain number of times I have to say I don't want to move?

Pat K

Quote from: katdillon on November 09, 2005, 03:15 AM NHFT

I belive 3000 and 5 times is the number.  ;D

FTL_Ian

Quote from: katdillon on November 09, 2005, 03:15 AM NHFT

I'm not trying to be a pest, Kat.  I just want this site to be as professional as possible.  Is there a particular reason you don't want to move to a better host?

JonM

Moving the site to a different host isn't about making it look any different, it's about finding a host willing to provide better customer service than he.net, which has unreasonably refused to add nhfree.com and nhunderground.com as DNS aliases to soulawakenings.com.  It would be nice to also find a place willing to install pspell so that spell check could be enabled.

president

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 09, 2005, 10:57 AM NHFT
I'm not trying to be a pest, Kat.
Then you are doing something you are trying not to do.

JonM

It not lazy make people, already lazy they be.  Checker grammar nice would too be.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: JonM on November 09, 2005, 11:12 AM NHFT
Moving the site to a different host isn't about making it look any different, it's about finding a host willing to provide better customer service than he.net, which has unreasonably refused to add nhfree.com and nhunderground.com as DNS aliases to soulawakenings.com.  It would be nice to also find a place willing to install pspell so that spell check could be enabled.

That's correct.  All visual and site elements would still be under Kat's control, it's just the behind the scenes stuff that would work better.

It's not the end of the world if it doesn't get done, but it's not a difficult job to accomplish.  A more flexible host is always a good idea.  Plus, I believe the Baron owns dreamhost.com , so if you switched to him you'd be supporting a fellow NHFreer instead of some crapcan company that won't give us what we want.

That is your site, right Baron?

Friday

Kat, did you know that the link from the home page to the forum has disappeared?  I had to get here via soulawakenings.com