• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

LOGO Hits Up Gaylaxicon Sci-Fi Convention in Atlanta

Started by dalebert, October 10, 2007, 09:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

QuoteIt's no secret that there are legions of big, homo sci-fi/fantasy/horror and gaming fans out there. And as evidence, this past weekend saw the 19th annual Gaylaxicon—the three-day international LGBT sci-fi, fantasy, horror and gaming convention—take over the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel in downtown Atlanta. Hundreds of gays were on hand to meet up (and dress up!) for panels, dances, films, live music, and gaming.

Rest of the article here:
http://www.newnownext.com/2007/10/its-no-secret-t.html

I was actually on two panels myself due to my involvement with the Pride High independent comic (linked in my sig). One was about gay and lesbian representation in comics and one was about gay and lesbian representation in young adult literature. For the comic one, I was on the panel with the 2nd guest pictured in the blog, the artist for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic. He gave me some feedback for Pride High artwork (the link in my sig) to pass on to Tommy. For the young adult literature, I was on the panel with the first guest pictured, David Gerrold.

It was a lot of fun. Great parties and a fantastic game room. There was tremendous positive feedback about the game room and particularly the con suite. For those unfamiliar with fan-based conventions, the con suite is a hotel room the convention rents to host food nearly around the clock so people can grab something and not have to miss events. Sometimes it's just things like chips and pretzels but this one had quiche, sandwiches, continental breakfasts, gumbo, soup, etc., and at one point had a very decadent Diana Troy Chocolate Hour with a fondue fountain. I only went out to eat a couple of times and it was mainly to be sociable with old friends from Atlanta and L.A.

When I wore my "Who is Ron Paul" t-shirt, I got pulled aside for some guys to whisper "We're Ron Paul fans too!" I was like, "Well come out of the closet about it, bitches!" As you can imagine, one expects this to be a very liberal environment but I never really got a negative reaction to my shirt. There was one guest author who asked if I was a fan of Ron Paul and then got really quiet so I think he may have been keeping his thoughts to himself. I forgot my Ron Paul info cards so when people asked about him, I just described him as the only TRULY anti-war candidate for president. I didn't bother to mention his party affiliation since I didn't really want a heated political debate. However, a couple of times someone nearby would volunteer that information and then quickly follow it up with "but he's really libertarian" and there would be some nods and a calm and pleasant discussion would follow. It left me feeling a little more optimistic about "my people".  ;)

Puke

Fascinating. Glad to hear you had a good time. Con's sound like an interesting thing to attend, I've never been to one. 
I guess the Liberty Forum could count as a very, very small con...

dalebert

Quote from: Puke on October 10, 2007, 05:48 PM NHFT
I guess the Liberty Forum could count as a very, very small con...

I think the Liberty Forum would be described as a conference (or maybe as a forum, hehe), as in a series of consecutive events all in one place. A convention, I believe, means there are multiple events going on at once. If I weren't impatient, I'd look it up instead of speculating but my Internet connection is slower than dial-up right now.  >:(

Puke

dalebert

dalebert