• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Ward 1 School Board analysis (also posted in Politics forum)

Started by Porcupine Realtor, October 20, 2007, 07:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupine Realtor

I'd like to see us have something similar to this for each ward and each race, and then another for city-wide and at-large races.  If Porcs can influence an election, it will be HUGE.  I'll post this on the Politics thread and at FSP site also, but if you recommend a better place for these threads, let me know.

***** RACE FOR SCHOOL BOARD/COMMITTEE - WARD 1 ****  Inteview notes with commentary at the bottom...

Candidate for School Board Janice Craig came knockin' at my door today.  She probably wishes I wasn't home at the time.

Our discussion revealed some interesting things about her ideology and worthiness of my vote.  I'd like to share those with you.  I've put in a call to her opponent in the race, Jean Esslinger; I'll add those comments after I speak to her.

Mrs. Craig, accompanied by her husband Mike, was nice.  She started out saying she thinks the board needs to "work together" and "get along better" and that she would facilitate that.  She has kids in public education, or will in the future, so she is certainly "concerned" about our district.

They will be hiring a new superintendent soon, so that's an important job for the board.  Then she went off on a tangent about test scores and the district's In Need of Improvement ranking and how it's great that 56 languages are spoken by the students in her daughter's school, but that's why the test scores are so low.

She is concerned that Bedford now has a high school and is pulling students away from West H.S. and, thus, the money that goes with those students.  I asked that since the money that's now being spent on those kids at WHS isn't needed because they're not there, wouldn't it be a wash?  She didn't quite follow the logic and said that it's not good for West.

I asked her what her position was on vouchers.  "Vouchers?" she enquired.  She had no idea what they are or how they work.  I explained that the money for each student would follow the student to any school, whether public, private, or charter.  She didn't grasp the concept and didn't have an opinion.

I asked her if she thought any student should be able to any public school the parents and he or she want.  She again looked puzzled, and said that kids already try to do that for sports teams, and that it causes a problem.  She also thought it would be a mess because of busing.  I said, "what if the children drive themselves to school or parents take the, then is it all right?"  Again, not keen on the concept. 

I then asked if she thought that home schoolers should receive a credit/refund on their property taxes since they don't use the schools.  This seemed to have caught her off-guard, and she only said that home-schooled students should have full access to public school facilities like gyms and fields.  Her husband then added that such an arrangement would take money away from the schools' current budget, which is the wrong thing to do since our entire community depends on a good educational system.

I asked Mrs. Craig if she thought teachers in Manchester were paid well enough.  To her credit, she said yes, that they are paid about the state average.  I asked if salary was the number one motivator for teachers.  No, she said, other things like professional development are more important.  "Great," said I, "so do you think the district should pay for this professional development (continuing ed/training)?"  "Yes," she replied. 

I then asked her what she thought about the teachers union helping to pay for some of the professional development for its members.  She said, "I don't know if they have enough money for something like that."  I tried not to laugh out loud.

Jean Esslinger returned my call promptly.  She is a financial planner and investment advisor.  She is a Republican and is endorsed by Mayor Guinta.  She likes Phil Greazzo.  Her opponent is a Democrat supported by old-guard politicos in Manchester, including a long string of attorneys. She was chosen by the status quo machine.

Vouchers have a definite use here in Manchester.  They bring choice to education, and she believes strongly in choice.

She supports the program called "Follow the child" by Fred Bromonte.  It's a good one. Money could be used outside the school for specialty courses at arts or science centers while students still receive academic credit. 

Home schoolers.  No, they shouldn't get a deduction, but the kids should be able to participate in everything at schools.  She has a sister who home schools her children.

Teachers paid well enough?  Yes, they're right in the middle of pay in NH.  They can improve pay through increasing their education.  The union has negotiated this with the city already.  Our teachers in Manch. are less educated than 65% of the rest of the state.  If they want to get more money, they should get more continuing ed. She thinks the teachers are paid fine.  Number one motivation for teachers is the career and helping children.  The schedule is also a nice perk, with summers off.  Pension and fixed benefits like medical are real attractive to some.

Give teachers the "basic support" they need, in the way of a strong superintendent.  If a teacher disciplines a student, and then the admin doesn't back him/her up, it is very demotivating.  "We need to clean up the administrative side."

Third area for improving children's performance:  technology.  We've been talking about it, but not much has been done.  We haven't addressed it as a district.  No goals have been set, and are critical issues to be addressed.

There's "no consistency in direction or decision making within the district."  That's where my presence on the Board will help.  Some long-term policy planning needs to be done.

Yes, any child should be able to go to any school he/she wants.  It would force schools to compete, which improves the product.  "I'm all for healthy competition – it makes us better."  Competitive forces improve everything and put the spotlight on the schools that are failing and on those that are doing well.

"The administration is bankrupt of ideas."

She needs financial support to get out her more fiscally conservative, pro-choice in education message.  She could also use some hands to hold signs for her on election day, November 6th.

COMMENTARY:  Please vote for Jean Esslinger in this race; I truly believe she is much better ideologically on the main issues important to Porcs.  Ask your family members to vote for her, then your neighbors.  Tell Jean Esslinger when you see her on election day at the church, "Some of the Free Staters support you, and that's why I'm voting for you!"
Mark