• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Livin' off THE GRID

Started by Riddler, October 24, 2007, 04:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Still, well worth building passive solar.  I helped build one in Alstead, NH in 1981.  After the building was closed in, even in early Winter, when you came in from the outside dressed for outside and the sun came out, it got warm!

Pat K

Raineyrocks

cathleeninnh

A little closer to you, Rainey. We bought a place in Barnstead. Should break ground in November.

jaqeboy

Wow, that's soon! How'd the land-clearing go?

Lloyd Danforth

Looks like a nice house.
Plant some dwarf fruit trees, blueberries, raspberries,Blackberries and grapes as soon as you can.  We're not getting any younger and a year jump on those things will mean a lot.

Riddler

Quote from: EthanAllen on October 26, 2007, 03:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: babalugatz on October 26, 2007, 03:12 PM NHFT
Yes, I suppose I did. I orig. was talking about hot water. PV is too expensive to justify the benefits here in N.E. Passive hot water doesn't work here either in winter

Passive solar meaning to heat a building via the sun coming into windows on the south side...

Yeah...I've got hydronics on the brain, don't you know.

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on October 27, 2007, 06:54 AM NHFT
Looks like a nice house.
Plant some dwarf fruit trees, blueberries, raspberries,Blackberries and grapes as soon as you can.  We're not getting any younger and a year jump on those things will mean a lot.

Do you think the berries will come back on thier own? There were loads already, but too much earthmoving has me worried. I am tempted to leave everything bare at the end and see what nature does next growing season. I would like to have plants around that want to be there.

Cathleen

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: cathleeninnh on October 27, 2007, 06:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on October 27, 2007, 06:54 AM NHFT
Looks like a nice house.

Do you think the berries will come back on thier own? There were loads already, but too much earthmoving has me worried. I am tempted to leave everything bare at the end and see what nature does next growing season. I would like to have plants around that want to be there.

Cathleen

Cultivars are better than the wild plants ie. yield, fruit size etc

Lloyd Danforth

And if you start out right with the berries, you get rows you can work both sides of

Pat K

I would like some BEER trees planted please.

porcupine kate

Pat you need grain and hops.  Hops are vines not trees.

Pat K

Quote from: porcupine kate on December 13, 2007, 08:29 AM NHFT
Pat you need grain and hops.  Hops are vines not trees.

Hey stop raining on my parade, a guy can dream cant he. ;D

Kat Kanning

If they can have lunchbox trees in Oz, then they can have beer trees in the shire.  For you, PatK, we're going to start growing these: