• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

who's best company to redirect domain name?

Started by Dave Ridley, October 24, 2007, 09:38 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I have a domain name i'd like to get redirected to an existing page.  who's the best company to have that done?

JonM

most registrars do forwarding.  Otherwise, you can transfer it to he who must not be named's registrar.

PowerPenguin

I do it through my imhosted.com hosting account via cpanel. It takes all of 20 seconds and is transparent.

penguins4me

Depending on what you mean by "existing page", this could be done by merely asking someone with control of a DNS server to add an entry into their records, while you add two IP addresses into your domain name registrar's control panel to point to said DNS server.

It would probably help if you would be able to post the URI of the existing page in question.

Dan

QuoteRegistrant:
   David Ridley
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Keene, New Hampshire 03431
   United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: RIDLEYREPORT.COM
      Created on: 04-Oct-07
      Expires on: 05-Oct-08
      Last Updated on: 04-Oct-07

My guess is that he want's to point www.ridleyreport.com to youtube.com/ridleyreport

:)

Dan

Dave:  Use godaddy's "Domain Forwarding & Masking"
QuoteDirect different WWW addresses to an existing site. When someone types your domain name into a browser, they will automatically be forwarded/redirected to whatever URL you choose. And with masking, users don't see the underlying address; only what they type.

You've already paid for it.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Dan on October 25, 2007, 07:13 AM NHFT
Dave:  Use godaddy's "Domain Forwarding & Masking"
QuoteDirect different WWW addresses to an existing site. When someone types your domain name into a browser, they will automatically be forwarded/redirected to whatever URL you choose. And with masking, users don't see the underlying address; only what they type.

You've already paid for it.

I'm not sure how GoDaddy does it, but many sites do this with frames by putting the target webpage in a single, full-size frame. This doesn't always work right, however. In some cases, the target website contains a bit of code to "break out" of frames, rendering the frame trick useless. And more importantly, the frames can interfere with navigation and bookmarking; when someone clicks a link to go elsewhere, everything may continue to load within the frame.

Dave Ridley

Dan

PowerPenguin

Dada, you should change the WHOIS info to "private" if you can. Don't want people to target you any more than you can help, right?