• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

LSF - New Plans

Started by Michael Fisher, June 18, 2005, 11:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Hello, everyone!

The Liberty Scholarship Fund (www.LSFund.org) has lost some momentum over the past year.  That was my fault.  I tried to create a system of local LSF chapters to no avail.  This caused me to lose focus on our original mission, but no longer!  The time has come for a restart of efforts!

Dawn Lincoln organized an Educational Alternatives Fair in Keene and I really really liked the idea.  It's a way to simultaneously raise funds, network with homeschooling groups and private schools, and reach out to the community!  :)  I'm going to take her idea and run with it in my local area.

Unfortunately, we lost Dawn as Vice Chair of the LSF.  :(  That's probably my fault as well.

Luckily for me, Kat Dillon, founder of the NH Underground, joined us as Vice Chair on June 2nd!  :)  Tony, Brian, and Dave are still with us, and I'm very thankful for that.  They are extremely talented and dedicated to liberty.

We've been spending the past week working on a new strategic plan for the LSF and we're looking for input.

How can we raise funds?  What types of fundraisers should we hold?
How can we network and market the LSF within our communities?
How can we attract more people into the educational alternatives movement?
What do you think we should do with the Liberty Scholarship Fund in the next 1 to 5 years?

Thank you very much for your input!  Feel free to send it to:  MikeF@LSFund.org

dawn

It's not Mike's fault that I stepped down as VC! I was and am just too busy to half of the things I'm supposed to be doing well. I plan to focus more on the political side of things and leave the LSF to people who do not want to be political.

I totally support the LSF and it's mission and I hope it will become a huge success in helping as many students as possible.

Dawn

Michael Fisher

Quote from: dawn on June 28, 2005, 04:31 PM NHFT
It's not Mike's fault that I stepped down as VC! I was and am just too busy to half of the things I'm supposed to be doing well. I plan to focus more on the political side of things and leave the LSF to people who do not want to be political.

I totally support the LSF and it's mission and I hope it will become a huge success in helping as many students as possible.

Dawn

Thank you so much for your support, Dawn.  You're a great activist!  :)

Michael Fisher

I need some feedback from Kat before I can finish the new strategic plan!   :o

Kaaaaaaaat.... where are youuu?  ??? ???

Kat Kanning

Keep going out of state working.

Dreepa

Mike will you be setting up a endowment? ( you know like a permanent fund and the interest goes to scholarships?)
or does all the money go right to scholarships?

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Dreepa on June 29, 2005, 11:58 PM NHFT
Mike will you be setting up a endowment? ( you know like a permanent fund and the interest goes to scholarships?)
or does all the money go right to scholarships?

That's a great idea!  In fact, we already have one!  :)

Check out our donation page here:
http://www.lsfund.org/donate.html

Brian Sullivan presented the idea to us long ago so we implemented it and brought him on as the Director of the Endowment.

I think the Endowment's balance is somewhere around $450 right now.  We recently filed the paperwork to open an account and begin investing the money.  It's an exciting time!  :)

tracysaboe

How many scholarships have been given away to date? One or two right?

If this thing starting to work?

I'd help out, if I thought, it was going to be a good quality well run charity as well, as libertarian oriented.

Tracy

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: tracysaboe on July 01, 2005, 04:45 PM NHFT
How many scholarships have been given away to date? One or two right?

If this thing starting to work?

I'd help out, if I thought, it was going to be a good quality well run charity as well, as libertarian oriented.

Tracy

This is one of the most pro-freedom charities in the state!

Whether or not it's well-run and high-quality is a question only you can answer.  I'll do my best to prove, through action, that the LSF will become the best hope for educational freedom in this state.

tracysaboe

Quote from: katdillon on July 01, 2005, 06:47 PM NHFT

And how has their responce been? Have they been good people to give charity too? Has this been a handing-up experience for them, as opposed to a hand-out? Have they given any endorsements or exemplified how this was a good thing for them through how they live their life?

I'd be very interested in donating $15/month, but I also want to make sure that the organization works well.

I understand that's difficult to prove -- currently, seeing as you've only been around a year or so.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

Alan and I came up with huge ideas for the future of the independent learning movement and the LSF.

Our first actions will begin in less than two weeks!  :)

I'll fill you in when I have some time.  ;)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on June 29, 2005, 05:41 PM NHFT
Keep going out of state working.

I'm gonna have to ask you the question on here:

What do you visualize for the LSF's future in the next five years?   :) :)

tracysaboe

How many kids in NH come from disadvantaged enough families such that if government stopped supplying "education" they would need some sort of financial assistence for schooling?

I'm guessing a minority. Maybe 50% But perhaps we could do some research on that.

Anyway, how many scholarships would the LSF need to give out a year?

How many kids currently go to government school in NH?

Just wondering. If every libertarian accross the country who believes in the seperation of school and state as a most neccessary and sufficient fist step towards bringing about liberty, donated just $15/month, would their be enough money to completely seperate school from state, and show people that volentarianism works better?

Tracy

AlanM

The whole problem, as I see it, is that everyone associates education with schooling. Sometimes schooling is the answer (rarely), but education doesn't have to take place in a special building, with a "teacher". The basics of education are the 3 Rs. The rest is self-taught. All the information a person can possibly want is out there for the taking by anyone. It is the DESIRE to learn that is crucial. Most schools, (particularly Public Schools), kill the desire to learn.