• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kids doing fun stuff

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 09, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jim Johnson on December 13, 2018, 06:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on December 13, 2018, 03:53 PM NHFT

Ahh, makes sense.  You guys are like modern day renaissance men.   

I'm still looking for those left handed sky hooks the old guys at work sent me to look for 40 years ago.
"Jeez.. I wonder if he's coming back?" - old guys 12 DEC 18

Back in my "aviation" days... Send the guy for a bucket of prop wash. Or a 100 feet of flight line.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: jerryswife on December 15, 2018, 10:45 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 13, 2018, 06:47 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on December 12, 2018, 01:23 PM NHFT
Nice Becky !!!

You have never met Mean Becky!!!    ;D

I don't believe there IS a Mean Becky!!

I appreciate your loyalty to a friend.

But, Oh... My... God!
"Whatever you do don't make eye contact!"

You have heard of Beelzebub, well she is known as Beelzebabe.  >:D ;D

Pat K

Well sure she has you around...................

jerryswife

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 10, 2018, 12:00 PM NHFT
William is close to completing his woodworking bench.

Laminated Douglas Fir 4 1/2 thick. Ripped from Home Depot 2 x 10s. All hand planed.

All edge grain on the top. Nice!

KBCraig

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on December 29, 2018, 09:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 13, 2018, 06:47 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on December 12, 2018, 01:23 PM NHFT
Nice Becky !!!

You have never met Mean Becky!!!    ;D

What about Nekkie Becky, the sunclad gardener?
You make a good point. That does help strike the balance.  8)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on December 29, 2018, 09:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 10, 2018, 12:00 PM NHFT
William is close to completing his woodworking bench.

Laminated Douglas Fir 4 1/2 thick. Ripped from Home Depot 2 x 10s. All hand planed.

All edge grain on the top. Nice!

That Douglas Fir does have a nice looking grain. It's heavy as heck as well, doesn't move around when he's planing and such. I'm really proud of him... he bought the materials and learned a lot in the process... the end result, he has a bench that will last a couple of lifetimes.

Youtube sure is a good resource. He knows more about some of the woodworking techniques than I ever knew.

Russell Kanning

you also get many different ways or opinions if you watch a few videos on any subject .... then figure out which one makes the most sense :)

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 30, 2018, 09:16 AM NHFT
Youtube sure is a good resource. He knows more about some of the woodworking techniques than I ever knew.

YouTube has devalued the stature of being "the smart guy".  I used to be "the smart guy" or the "go-to" guy.  If a bunch of us had a problem surface that none of us knew well enough to handle expertly, we'd inventory our applicable experience and knowledge and the one with the most - most often, me - would become the point person and begin to steer the ship.  But now, they don't need me.  They can ask google or watch YouTube.

A lot of technical repair charges, like a lot of automotive repairs, are for work that is really rudimentary, and so the do-it-yourselfers do save their employers a lot of $200 service calls that we used to make just because we knew the reset regimen, the master password, and the location of the hidden fuses and circuit breakers, and only we could procure the proprietary parts.  Now, our monopoly on that knowledge is broken.

Unfortunately for me, when I am called to repair complex electronic systems that commonly fail, if I give the customer bad news - which is to say, there will not be a cheap solution - they can say, "Oh yeah?  Well I googled and there are all these other people who know just as much as you and they say we should do this and that", and with YouTube, they can actually see someone just like them do this and that, and when that happens, I am out the door.

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

A mechanic buddy of mine, was saying that often the YouTube guy glosses over the difficulty or the potential things that are likely to go wrong with the repair.

What you say reminds me of video work, in that anyone can own a camera these days. I have had potential clients say, "My brother has a camera, I'll get him to do it." I tell them, "It takes more than a camera to produce a TV show or a movie. Look at all the names in the credits. I pride myself on my ability to wear those different hats and create a video project with a professional look on a shoe string budget."

With clients that are inexperienced it is difficult. I have had to let them find out the hard way these things.

Sometimes I lament for the days when even photography was a magical thing. We have billions of photos taken now... Kind of has diluted the value. Many people think the tool does the work, it's just a tool. The difference is the mind of the person using the tool.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 03, 2019, 08:38 PM NHFT
A mechanic buddy of mine, was saying that often the YouTube guy glosses over the difficulty or the potential things that are likely to go wrong with the repair.

What you say reminds me of video work, in that anyone can own a camera these days. I have had potential clients say, "My brother has a camera, I'll get him to do it." I tell them, "It takes more than a camera to produce a TV show or a movie. Look at all the names in the credits. I pride myself on my ability to wear those different hats and create a video project with a professional look on a shoe string budget."
My father was a professional photographer, running a portrait and wedding studio on the side of his his main job, which was all three shifts, six days a week.

In the days of Polaroids and 110 Instamatics, he was frequently asked to "just come over and take a few snapshots", because "your camera takes better pictures".

His camera was a Hasselblad 500c, and he spent decades perfecting his craft.

The musical version of that is, "We'll let you play here for free, so that you can get exposure."

WithoutAPaddle

Back in the 1950s, an uncle of mine had an 8 millimeter Bell and Howell camera, and that made him our family "movie guy".  A lot of families had one.  At our annual family gatherings, we'd eventually get to the point where he'd show us the film of his most recent vacation.  Basically, those were about as creative as slide shows.   When he went to New York City we'd see the film of them standing in front of the Empire State Building.  Then the the camera would scroll up and back down, and then there would be a brief stutter, after which the same group of people would be in the same places, except that my uncle was now in the picture and we'd get to figure out who was now missing, and holding the camera.  I'm pretty sure I saw someone on the Ed Sullivan Show do a comedy routing like that, but we did it first.

Tom Sawyer

I have a Bell and Howell 8mm wind up camera. It used 16 mm film that you had to flip over and after they developed it they rip cut it down the middle.

My brother and I made Horror Movies when we were kids. Lost them when my parents split up. Boy I would love to have those films.