• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Politics is an immoral dead-end

Started by Vitruvian, November 12, 2007, 10:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Gandhi answered that question during the Second World War. If you really are interested, you can read his book. :)

In Christ's case ... it just jumpstarted the movement when they killed him. oops another government blunder.

I think doing it all over again is the right thing to do. :)

now I have hijacked Eric's thread ;)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Eli on November 15, 2007, 03:32 PM NHFT
I worry for you Russell.  You can't destroy the state if they feed you to the lions.
What is your plan? This is what I can do as one imperfect person. I see only one path to destroy the state.

Eli

I read his book once.  A good read.  Advocated guns if you didn't have the courage for nonviolent direct action.  And in the end india was free of england without violent revolution, and the government they were saddled with wasn't much better than the colonial one they got rid of.  I dunno that I have a better path than yours Russell.  Maybe voting and incremental change are the cowards way.  I just value my life too highly, and the lives of those I hold dear too much, to ever accept pacifism as a world view.  I think pacifism may require faith as a component, which cuts me right out. Although nonviolent direct action as a tactic, even a strategy has always appealed to me aesthetically.

Russell Kanning

something appeals to you ... but the thugs guns turn your gaze ... it is a very normal thing to have happen

Has it ever worked to vote freedom?

It seemed the Indian independence movement got what they wanted ... I think they just had the wrong goal.

Vitruvian

Quotenow I have hijacked Eric's thread

"It ain't no thang."  I wanted a healthy discussion and I got it.  The response to this thread surpassed every expectation I had.

QuoteI am weary of the young preacher and his religion.

I do (and did) apologize if my posts come off as preachy or accusatory, but I do not apologize for the substance.  I stand by my words.  Dismissive comments like this are irritating and unnecessary.

Russell Kanning

this is a touchy subject

didn't you bring it up, because people were wondering why you are not active politically?

then when you say you think it is wrong .... people want to defend themselves

Vitruvian

Quotedidn't you bring it up, because people were wondering why you are not active politically?

Yes.  Moreover, seeing/hearing "libertarians" defending the State political apparatus turns my stomach and sets my blood boiling.

Quotepeople want to defend themselves

What's that famous Egyptian river called?

Russell Kanning

"libertarians" (who currently like politics) might not be your most fertile fields .... person to person seems to work wonders ... but it sounds like this pressure happens to many in Manchester ... must be the water ... that is why people have to drink things at Murphy's to counteract it. :)

think you can make it until january? ;)

Russell Kanning

politics might be a dead end  ... but debating it is never ending

error

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 15, 2007, 05:07 PM NHFT
politics might be a dead end  ... but debating it is never ending

And THAT is why this should have been in Endless Debate and Whining! :)

Russell Kanning

but we do arbitrary things here underground

Vitruvian

Quotethink you can make it until january?

I think so.  If I can survive for twenty years without participating, I can go for two more months. :)

Quoteperson to person seems to work wonders

I have had some hard-won success in persuading my immediate family.  Both parents will now admit taxation is theft and my sister has even described herself as a libertarian.  Hopefully, I can convince them to go whole-hog like me. ;)

QuoteAnd THAT is why this should have been in Endless Debate and Whining!

Yeah, but nobody goes there, including me.  I had to aim high.

error

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 15, 2007, 05:07 PM NHFT
"libertarians" (who currently like politics) might not be your most fertile fields .... person to person seems to work wonders ... but it sounds like this pressure happens to many in Manchester ... must be the water ... that is why people have to drink things at Murphy's to counteract it. :)

We have a growing number of non-participants here in Manchester, which is good to see. What I don't like to see is people who are trying to reduce the harm the system does to others being labeled "evil" and "immoral."

Vitruvian

QuoteWhat I don't like to see is people who are trying to reduce the harm the system does to others being labeled "evil" and "immoral."

I was not labeling them or their intentions immoral, only the means they're using to achieve those intentions.  And then there's MaineShark/Joe, who expended all that effort defending his behavior, only to reveal late in the game that he never votes for an actual person.  Now all I've got on him is the "voting is counterproductive" argument.  ::)

Russell Kanning

sometimes you don't win debates .... I haven't won any in my life :)

people have to pay me to vote ... I am tired of having the government ignore our votes for less of it