• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New possible civil protest? Flag-burning

Started by danhynes, June 23, 2005, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyC

Quote from: Pat K on June 23, 2005, 11:33 AM NHFT
The countrys broke, the supreme court just ruled you have no right to property and the president lied us into war.

Thank god congress is doing something.

What Jackasses.

I hate what is happening to my Country.
My last move and hopes now lay in New Hampshire.
I feel like I am being backed into a corner.
The rest of the country has been Socialized and reek of fascism.
I have been a good non violent American but I have to ask this question.

What will it take for us Americans to finally rise up and take back control of our country???
We have effectively and openly been sold to the highest bidders.
Our country is being divvied up to foreign nations and big business that have no loyalty to this great republic.

what will it take.....work camps....confiscation of all private property forced public service?

Michael Fisher

Our methods of creating change are successful.  Through our efforts, we will give people a second chance at liberty.  But we must not give in to despair.

Do not lose hope.  :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: GT on June 23, 2005, 10:29 AM NHFT
Just a thought. Why not send a couple of letters to your US Senators and tell them to vote against the amendment?

that's funny

Russell Kanning

Quote from: BillyC on June 23, 2005, 12:35 PM NHFTwhat will it take.....work camps....confiscation of all private property forced public service?
some are doing it now........but good questions :)

danhynes

I like LLoyd's idea of burning other things such as an oversized patriot act and some ID cards. And to burn a current flag but waive around an old flag, I personally would like to waive one of our first flags while burning a current one to show I would like to return to the constitution of the earlier days. Part of my plan involved getting arrested when I know the state law is clearly wrong. I would like to see if any officer would mistakenly enforce it. How about if I burnt a replica if the white house. Too bad I cant burn protest with oil and instead of dumping tea in the ocean dump barrels of oil.

tracysaboe

Quote from: russellkanning on June 23, 2005, 02:23 PM NHFT
Just a thought. Why not send a couple of letters to your US Senators and tell them to vote against the amendment?

that's funny

People could certainly do both

GT

that's funny

Why is it so funny..........?

Michael Fisher

Quote from: danhynes on June 23, 2005, 03:29 PM NHFT
How about if I burnt a replica if the white house.

That's not illegal.

Quote from: danhynes on June 23, 2005, 03:29 PM NHFT
Too bad I cant burn protest with oil and instead of dumping tea in the ocean dump barrels of oil.

An environmental disaster is a very bad idea.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: GT on June 23, 2005, 04:23 PM NHFT

that's funny

It's funny because, unfortunately, lobbying the government is a pointless and ignorable action.

GT

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 23, 2005, 04:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: GT on June 23, 2005, 04:23 PM NHFT

that's funny

It's funny because, unfortunately, lobbying the government is a pointless and ignorable action.

What's the point of all these protests if you never get the laws changed or repealed?

Michael Fisher

Quote from: GT on June 23, 2005, 04:34 PM NHFT
What's the point of all these protests if you never get the laws changed or repealed?

Good point!  ;)

The biggest problem we face is this:

Most methods of political change will result in disaster in the end.  Refer to the political side of the abolitionist movement for an example of the terrible disasters that will ensue from political methods of change.

All we can do is try our best to change the culture through all moral means available to us.  If the law can keep up with these changes, then the government will survive.  If not, then no consent will exist for the government and it will cease to exist.

Rocketman

QuoteAll we can do is try our best to change the culture through all moral means available to us.? If the law can keep up with these changes, then the government will survive.? If not, then no consent will exist for the government and it will cease to exist.

Mike, I'm not sure I want to be the one who has to tell all those bureaucrats and legislators their jobs have ceased to exist.? The looks on their faces might make me sad.? Gosh, I hope they can all find work in the private sector (which I guess would then be the only sector? ;D).?

Of course, without all that regulation, jobs oughta be plentiful -- maybe you can teach a few bureaucrats to repair computers?? Hey, everybody deserves a chance, right?

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Wow, that will make a great movie someday -- Anarchists and libertarians succeed in abolishing or nearly abolishing government, and everybody prospers except the poor useless bureacucrats, until a few kind Free Staters teach them to survive as human beings in the wild jungles of New Hampshire.  Guess I'd better get started on the script...

KBCraig

Quote from: JonM on June 23, 2005, 11:00 AM NHFT
Burning a flag is the proper way to retire it.  So basically the law has to make your intent in the manner in which you burn it illegal.

That's what I point out to people who are in favor of such a ban. It's not the act of burning a flag that would be made illegal, because that's how a flag is properly retired. Instead, it's the thoughts running through someone's head that make the burning illegal. A ban on flag burning is "hate crime" legislation. (That usually get 'em in the gut, since they despise "hate crime" laws!)

The proposed ammendment even admits this: it's not a ban on burning the flag, it's a ban on "desecration".

Kevin

Michael Fisher

I will have no problem disrespecting and desecrating a piece of cloth that I own, as long as I am always respectful to others.  And no, I do not consider burning my own piece of cloth as a form of disrespect - how could it be to a reasonable individual?

KBCraig

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 23, 2005, 10:35 PM NHFT
I will have no problem disrespecting and desecrating a piece of cloth that I own, as long as I am always respectful to others.  And no, I do not consider burning my own piece of cloth as a form of disrespect - how could it be to a reasonable individual?

Because you are deliberately insulting something people cherish. It's not that tough to grasp.

Why do you limit your consideration to only "reasonable" individuals? Even if it is unreasonable to feel insulted by someone burning their own flag, and you, knowing that many people will feel insulted, proceed to do so, then it doesn't matter if they were "reasonable" to feel insulted. You did so anyway, which is a deliberate insult.

I recall some childhood "insults" that really weren't, like accusing someone of being a homo sapiens. But no matter how unreasonable it was for someone to be enraged by the term, we still did it. No matter how accurate it was, and no matter how unreasonable their response, it was a deliberate insult.

Kevin