• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Homemade Machine Shop

Started by reteo, December 16, 2007, 04:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

reteo

I've come across the materials produced by David and Vincent Gingery which outline ways to bootstrap a working machine shop from easily-acquired (and low-cost) tools and materials.  Has anyone tried any of this?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html

Lloyd Danforth

I've been to a few websites about the Gingery machines. I haven't looked at any used machinery lately, but, I'm guessing it would be easier to just buy used machinery.  Then spend your machining time making the stuff you wanted the machinery for to begin with.

reteo

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on December 16, 2007, 04:49 PM NHFT
I've been to a few websites about the Gingery machines. I haven't looked at any used machinery lately, but, I'm guessing it would be easier to just buy used machinery.  Then spend your machining time making the stuff you wanted the machinery for to begin with.

Easier, no doubt.  However, I've always been interested in learning ways to bootstrap... stockpiling stuff may be useful for temporary chaos, but what if a temporary chaos turns into a dark age?  The ability to make and maintain any tool, firearm, ammunition, and even more complex machines one could imagine would be an an extremely valuable bootstrapping skill for anyone to have.

Tom Sawyer

My brother in law was all into this idea.  :)

I think one of the benefits is if you "earn" each tool you really learn and respect what you have accomplished.  8)

Nat F

Here's a site from someone in NH about building some Gingery based stuff.  Haven't heard any updates recently though.

http://physeeks.dyndns.org:8000/gingery_lathe/foundry.xhtml

-Nat

reteo

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 16, 2007, 06:45 PM NHFT
I think one of the benefits is if you "earn" each tool you really learn and respect what you have accomplished.  8)

Earning your tools.  I like that concept!  Thanks!

In addition, I found another site that gives all kinds of ideas for metal-casting, for those who want to really trick out their foundry setups.  There is even something on making a Gingery lathe, but apparently, the lure of melting metals proved too strong. ;)

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com

ancapagency

I have the first two books (the charcoal foundry and the metal lathe) as well as plans for making your own forge (which I plan to do).  It is easier and probably actually cheaper to buy used tools, but nonetheless, these books are good to have for the possibility of a serious SHTF scenario (which I don't actually expect, but the preparation doesn't hurt) as well as just for the hobby and learning experience. 

I've taken an entry level machinist job just to learn the skills--and so far have learned a good bit (I've been doing saw and lathe work).  Don't expect I'll be learning much in the way of milling at this place, but as soon as I've learned all I can on the lathe there, I'll be looking for another place to learn more.

IMO, tools are one of the best investments you can make--both from a self-sufficiency POV as well as possible trade goods.

reteo

Quote from: ancapagency on December 17, 2007, 04:24 PM NHFT
I've taken an entry level machinist job just to learn the skills--and so far have learned a good bit (I've been doing saw and lathe work).  Don't expect I'll be learning much in the way of milling at this place, but as soon as I've learned all I can on the lathe there, I'll be looking for another place to learn more.

Such employers will accept applicants without the skills already?  Sounds like I will be trying my hand once I've made the move.

Quote from: ancapagency on December 17, 2007, 04:24 PM NHFT
IMO, tools are one of the best investments you can make--both from a self-sufficiency POV as well as possible trade goods.

You'll get no argument from me.  Tools are the foundation upon which value is created.

ancapagency

QuoteSuch employers will accept applicants without the skills already?  Sounds like I will be trying my hand once I've made the move

Yep--I didn't have any experience in that area, merely told them I wanted to learn and was willing to work.  Started out with a temp agency, the place they sent me had me work one day doing deburring and sweeping up.  The next day, I was sent to clean up a band saw in the machine shop, and the supervisor of the machine shop saw I did a really good job--thorough, kept working at it, wasn't afraid to get dirty.  Asked me if I could read a measuring tape, and do basic math.  I told him yes, and that I was there to learn machining.  He had me transferred that day to the machine shop, and put me on the saws.  I trained there a while, and the guy who had been on the saws moved to the lathes.  Then I told them I was going to leave for the Summer to work at a Summer camp, and they asked me if I would come back after the end of camp.  I told them maybe, depending on what was going on at that time.  They hired a replacement for me, and had me train him.  After the Summer, I came back, and they hired me immediately.  Put me back on the saws, and started training me on the lathes as well.

Folks up here (especially in the blue collar jobs) don't care much about paper--they want to know if you can do the job, are a good worker, and/or are willing to learn.

reteo

Not bad.  In addition, I have found yet another reason to learn this kind of stuff.  Talk about bootstrapping!

Recumbent ReCycler

I've read discussions on the Gingery machines on homegunsmith.com.  There are some fellows on there who are very creative and have built some really neat tools, including a square hole drill (although he decided that an EDM would do the job better).  The more interesting discussions and blueprints are in member only areas though.  If you're serious about getting into home gunsmithing or other fabrication, the life membership is worth the money.  There is a wealth of information there.