• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Visit the Free Keene Forum for more Keene topics & 130 Reasons to Move to Keene!

Started by FTL_Ian, December 18, 2007, 10:01 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: srqrebel on January 31, 2008, 11:23 AM NHFT
It grates me to deposit money into a government-run parking meter, and I only do it because their parking space service meets the necessary three criteria: 1) It serves my needs better than any alternative, 2) It is provided on a 100% voluntary fee basis, and 3) As far as I can tell, parking space service is wide open to competition (if downtown landowners wish to make their own parking areas available to the public, they are free to do so).

If all government operated in that manner, everything would be chill :)

It wouldn't be government anymore. ;)

I used to have a similar attitude about the tolls on the highways here, since toll roads are one of the most likely ways a private road would be paid for. Then I learned about how half the tolls collected go toward administrative overhead. No private business would tolerate such inefficiency within itself. And, they raised the tolls recently so they could replace the automated booths with paid employees—unionized state employees, of course. Most private businesses nowadays are going in the other direction, replacing human labor with automation, in order to reduce costs and increase efficiency.

I wonder where that 20¢/hr is really going...

srqrebel

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on January 31, 2008, 11:47 AM NHFT
I wonder where that 20¢/hr is really going...

Yup... and I also can't help but wonder if it is being subsidized through taxes.

If that turns out to be the case, I'm afraid I will have to refrain from using city operated parking spaces.  There are private parking alternatives in downtown Keene, just less convenient.

sheltercrow

Parking meters are a problem in Keene, but I'm don't see how angled parking is in any way dangerous to pedestrians and bikers.

There are simply too many of them. You must have walked across main before the renovation to understand. It's like a vortex now. It was quite wide before. I have almost been hit quite a number of times on foot. I have been hit a number of times on a bike. Not one of the cars involved stopped of course. Lets talk freedom from injury here.

Keene is the economic hub, because that's where all the business is.

The vast majority of the businesses in Keene are service oriented and pay quite low wages. The town council members are mostly owners of these businesses and have no interest in any effort to attract industry. Ask them they will tell you. I have. The rest of their concerns are how to extract the maximun amount from their tenants, mostly KSC; witness the contracts that individual tenants have to sign now. I went to KSC and lived with 4 other around '72 before the contracts. Lets talk freedom from exploitation.

Keene is one of the loveliest places in NH no doubt. Bit it could do with some changes. A local council that has both KSC students and townspeople for one.

sheltercrow

If you want to know what happens in Keene.

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/onlineservices/minutes_and_agendas.htm

Minutes to the town council. Oh, and by the way, Keene has twice the national rate for cops per capita. Protection is good but too much protection is expensive.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: sheltercrow on February 02, 2008, 12:01 AM NHFT
Keene is one of the loveliest places in NH no doubt. Bit it could do with some changes. A local council that has both KSC students and townspeople for one.

In case you hadn't figured it out, we are coming there to help changes happen.  Though, I think we'd be better off dismantling/ignoring the city government altogether.

J’raxis 270145

The town council members are mostly owners of these businesses and have no interest in any effort to attract industry.

Most likely a good thing. "Attract[ing] industry" by the government usually means legal and fiscal favoritism for corporations and business owners, to everyone else's detriment. A tax break to attract a power plant or a Walmart means you get screwed harder by government.

Puke

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on February 02, 2008, 08:56 PM NHFT
...power plant or a Walmart means you ...

We don't have to worry about the Wal-Mart. The ass-hats actively deny Wal-Mart from building a better store here.

srqrebel

Parking meters are a problem in Keene, but I'm don't see how angled parking is in any way dangerous to pedestrians and bikers.

There are simply too many of them. You must have walked across main before the renovation to understand. It's like a vortex now. It was quite wide before. I have almost been hit quite a number of times on foot. I have been hit a number of times on a bike. Not one of the cars involved stopped of course. Lets talk freedom from injury here.

Speaking as a frequent pedestrian on Main Street, Keene: It is incumbent on the pedestrian to always make eye contact with drivers, and make sure they are slowing down before stepping out in their path. 

My experience has always been a safe one, and I find that most drivers do have the courtesy to stop, if they see you standing there waiting and looking in their direction.

Of course, when I am driving, I always try to pay close attention to what is going on around me, and be prepared for pedestrians who do not observe good safety habits.  What I do is my responsibility.  What others do is neither my responsibility, nor do I have any business substituting my judgement for theirs.  That is strictly their business.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Puke on February 03, 2008, 07:52 AM NHFT

We don't have to worry about the Wal-Mart. The ass-hats actively deny Wal-Mart from building a better store here.

Town refusing to allow Walmart to build in the vicinity? (In other words, the other side is using government force to benefit itself. Color me surprised.)

hwrnhetcxyc

Quote from: Puke on February 03, 2008, 07:52 AM NHFT

That's a shame, but the Keene Wal-Mart is the nicest non-Supercenter one I been to. Plus, it's the only one where I've crossed paths with an FTL host. 8)

sheltercrow

FTL_Ian:

"In case you hadn't figured it out, we are coming there to help changes happen.  Though, I think we'd be better off dismantling/ignoring the city government altogether."

You can save yourself the expense and not. A change in the local government will not happen without the town council. Learn how it functions and warps the local economy to it's advantage. Otherwise you will just be another mooching flatlander and get nowhere.

J'raxis 270145:

"Most likely a good thing. "Attract[ing] industry" by the government usually means legal and fiscal favoritism for corporations and business owners, to everyone else's detriment. A tax break to attract a power plant or a Walmart means you get screwed harder by government."

Not attracting industry created the situation where "The vast majority of the businesses in Keene are service oriented and pay quite low wages."

If you are looking for a decent paying job had better look elsewhere. There simply is very little industry here.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: sheltercrow on March 10, 2008, 01:39 PM NHFT
You can save yourself the expense and not. A change in the local government will not happen without the town council. Learn how it functions and warps the local economy to it's advantage. Otherwise you will just be another mooching flatlander and get nowhere.
Thanks, but I know exactly how it functions.  It steals people's money.  I'm not a mooch, but they are.

QuoteNot attracting industry created the situation where "The vast majority of the businesses in Keene are service oriented and pay quite low wages."

If you are looking for a decent paying job had better look elsewhere. There simply is very little industry here.
I trust that the people reading this thread will easily see beyond your negativity and research the situation for themselves.  No doubt they are all looking for something different.  I imagine their definition of "decent" might be different from yours.  The activists that have moved here so far have been able to find work.  There are already plenty of opportunities here and as the area continues to grow, there will only be more.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: sheltercrow on March 10, 2008, 01:39 PM NHFT
what does "industry" mean? Is it necessary for people to be able to make money?

Lloyd Danforth

Industry is, pretty much, when money is exchanged and government is not involved.  He probably means factories.

Russell Kanning

some people hate factories
some people might move to Keene ... to retire