• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Scarecrow Day in Newmarket

Started by Michael Fisher, June 28, 2005, 09:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Frank of Houghton's (Ace) Hardware is organizing an event to raise funds for Club Chameleon, a local all-volunteer non-profit that organizes monthly adventure trips for town youth.

We've given the event the name "Scarecrow Day" because we'll be helping 96 children create scarecrows, with donated supplies, that we'll be selling during Old Home Weekend.

We need 10 volunteers on August 9 to help the children build scarecrows at the Recreation Center behind Newmarket Junior/Senior High School.

We need another 3 volunteers from August 12-14 from 9am-4pm to help sell the scarecrows during Old Home weekend on main street in Newmarket.

In my opinion, this will help fund a local cause without taxpayer dollars.? The Newmarket Business Association donated $1,000 to Club Chameleon last year for startup funds and I was on the Fundraising Committee (of 3 people) that helped raised another $700 for it earlier this year through the Newmarket Community Dinner Dance.

Community spirit alive at dance, May 3, 2005
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/exeter/05032005/news/40394.htm

We also raised $700 for the local Dot Shorey Scholarship Fund at the dance.? :)? Dot Shorey Memorial Scholarship Fund:? Dot Shorey founded the Newmarket Business Association and is remembered for her generous community service with the Newmarket Welcome Wagon as well as for running the Winnie the Pooh Kindergarten. The fund created in her name gives $500 scholarships to Newmarket High School seniors who meet academic excellence, significant community service and intend to pursue a business career.

In other news, I'm the new volunteer computer service company for a similar group in Exeter called the New Outlook Teen Center:
http://www.newoutlookteencenter.org/

(I'll create another thread about that because I may need a volunteer for a project.)