• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

solar houses

Started by Jared, January 22, 2008, 04:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Quote from: KBCraig on January 26, 2008, 01:25 AM NHFT
Pat McC., do you have any ideas about flywheel effect in micro-to-small hydro?

I realize the starting inertia is a problem if the system ever stalls, but it seems to my uneducated brain that consistent RPM (meaning smooth output levels) is a good thing. Flywheel effect helps in that regard.

If you are dumping into a battery it doesn't matter. Water, and wind for that matter, are always going to be variable and output will be variable. A battery set will dampen this.

For those interested in building their own alternators with various forms of motive power explore the OtherPower website.

Also, here is an interesting link to a video about a non-spinning generator:
Tacoma Narrows inspired generator

Pat McCotter

Looking at the OtherPower site I see they do use a disc brake rotor as their alternator rotor. That would give you a flywheel effect.

Lloyd Danforth

Quoteauthor=Pat McCotter link=topic=12798.msg221121#msg221121 date=1201342461]

Also, here is an interesting link to a video about a non-spinning generator:
Tacoma Narrows inspired generator

An Aeolian Harp Generator ;D

Free libertarian

Lot's of things to consider when setting up Solar Power. Cost can be reduced substantially by alot of research and some do it yourself applications.  The payback of "off grid"  can be awhile depending on how much and how big...but in some locations the reduced cost of the
off grid land can offset  the equipment costs.  Nice not to get a bill every month, I'd keep a small generator handy too.  Better to have it and not need it or use it much, but I wouldn't be without one. 
We're in Grafton, making more power now than a month ago with our set up...sun's getting higher, days are longer.   I love it.   Still it IS an adjustment for most people, we tend to consume on grid without even thinking about it...off grid...you think about what is a priority or you go without. Thinking only hurts a little in the beginning, then you get used to it. 

Propane fridges,  small TV's,  common sense go a long ways to "energy independence."
Once I figure out how to bottle methane (really) I can kick the Propane habit, but that's more research and another topic. Not sure if Pigs will ever fly...but they do shit and that is a potential methane source.

If any people are interested in learning about a mid size, do it yourself  off grid Solar Power application in New Hampshire, I'm happy to  share what I've learned so far, I'm not an expert, but sometimes like to pretend I am...  I'm also researching domestic solar hot water, with a wood stove supplement and that might be my next project, if anyone has that stuff up and running I'd love to see it...no need to reinvent the wheel and being a "visual learner", seeing something work helps before taking the plunge.  I made a small solar batch hot water enclosure last year and put 6-7, 1 gallon spray painted water jugs in it for daily use, worked fine 'til about October, good enough to burst a thermometer...bigger things planned this year. 

Russell Kanning

I would say getting electricity from the sun will not be worth it ... but getting some heat is :)

K. Darien Freeheart

I recall articles about using solar power to electrolyze water and compressing the resulting hydrogen. The hydrogen is then used to power the home.

I've also read skepticism about the capacity to safely store the hydrogen gas as well as seperate it from the oxygen to ensure a clean burn. Has anyone looked into an idea like solar+hydrogen in New Hampshire?

John Edward Mercier

That would be photoelectric to hydrogen.
But I'm not sure if you are speaking of an open oxidation or a stack (fuel cell)?

jaqeboy

Quote from: Jared on January 22, 2008, 04:41 PM NHFT
does anyone know if solar power is practical when building a house in nh? if so, how?

There are plenty of folks here who live off the grid. The way to find them to tour their casas is through the NHSEA, New Hampshire Sustainable Energy Association, http://nhsea.org. NHSEA is the New Hampshire chapter of NESEA, or the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association. They have a Green Buildings Open House tour every year, as does the ASEA nationwide. I believe there's info on the site, though the tour is in the fall every year.

Riddler

i started a thread here, a while back ,(livin' off the grid) ,re: this subject.
photovoltaic is too costly an option at present. the end >does not< justify the means, etc.
much more efficient & cost-effective to heat water ,via solar, for domestic & space heating (specifically radiant) uses.

Free libertarian

Quote from: babalugatz on April 27, 2008, 03:00 PM NHFT
i started a thread here, a while back ,(livin' off the grid) ,re: this subject.
photovoltaic is too costly an option at present. the end >does not< justify the means, etc.
much more efficient & cost-effective to heat water ,via solar, for domestic & space heating (specifically radiant) uses.

I'll agree it's costly, if you already have power readily available at the street. If you live off the beaten path and there is no power line and  you weigh in other factors such as the cost of bringing in power lines etc. it becomes more of an option.
Also the lower cost of more remote land may help to offset some of the Solar cost, especially if you do the installation yourself.
Many people who live near streams could get their electricity from Micro-hydro too. I watched one of our streams last year before deciding in favor of  solar. Many streams can produce for several months out of the year...but during the driest parts of the summer, it would have been back to candles for us.

Call me nuts, but I rather enjoy being off the grid, I always wanted to be even 30 years ago, plus  it appeals to my Snob  Crunchy Conservative side I guess.