• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Matt Simon to be on air Monday, 2008.02.25

Started by MTPorcupine3, February 22, 2008, 05:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MTPorcupine3

At my suggestion, the folks at www.wntk.com will have our friend Matt Simon of www.nhcommonsense.org as a guest at 7:40 Monday morning to talk about the recent libertarian attempt to decriminalise marijuana. You can listen on line or, on air (FM 99.7 or AM 1490, out of New London). You might want to chime in, 888-299-3151 or onair@wntk.com, or to thank them for having him on.

Tom Sawyer

dalebert

I don't think it's technically decrim. Just a reduction in the penalty.

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: dalebert on February 22, 2008, 08:26 PM NHFT
I don't think it's technically decrim. Just a reduction in the penalty.

Wikipedia: "Decriminalization is the reduction or abolition of criminal penalties in relation to certain acts. The reverse process is criminalization."

Cambridge Dictionary: "decriminalize verb [T] to reduce or stop the punishment for (a particular illegal act), esp. by changing a law"

Lloyd Danforth

Pat McCotter

Ummmm...I guess "legalize" is already taken, huh?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat McCotter on February 23, 2008, 03:34 AM NHFT
Ummmm...I guess "legalize" is already taken, huh?

What they are proposing isn't legalization. I wish they would reach for that... but, they feel that the shortest path is the best.

It is kind of like instead of doing away with slavery, we will just make it so the master can only give the slave three lashes with the whip.

Lloyd Danforth

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on February 22, 2008, 09:59 PM NHFT
What we need is 'uncriminalize'

Amen! And whatever we can get in the right direction in the meantime.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on February 22, 2008, 08:26 PM NHFT
... a reduction in the penalty.

It's both a reduction in penalty and the classification of the crime (felony, misdemeanor, violation) down to a violation.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on February 23, 2008, 07:51 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on February 22, 2008, 09:59 PM NHFT
What we need is 'uncriminalize'

Amen! And whatever we can get in the right direction in the meantime.

Eventually. The committee ITLed this tiny little attempt, 13–5. I'd imagine a full legalization attempt would've resulted in a vote of 18–0, or maybe 17–1 because Tim Robertson is so outspokenly opposed to drug laws. (He actually admitted to smoking pot during the debate over this bill.)

FTL_Ian

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Black Sam Rackham on February 25, 2008, 11:45 PM NHFT
How was the interview?

It went well, even though Matt was a few minutes late coming to the call. The hosts carried the topic without him, and they were not hostile to the idea of decriminalisation at all. They did point out a case in Illinois (?) where a four year old girl demonstrated to police how to roll joints and otherwise use marijuana... as taught by her mother. They didn't like the idea of such young children having access to it, but basically agreed that the punishment is out of proportion to the "crime". Then Matt came on and "hit on" most of the points... and a caller pointed out that the government benefits from the "war on drugs" more than anyone. The hosts said they'd love to have Matt on again.