• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Verizon FIOS *drool*!!!!

Started by FTL_Ian, July 08, 2005, 02:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

I think this is going to be a major factor in where I relocate to... watching closely.  Anyone have it yet?

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/07062005/business/51438.htm

GCG199

Sounds like a good thing. I just hope that they get the telephone service "unbundled" from the FIOS end.

rancemuhamitz

Even more drool!

CableVision is rolling out 50Mbps cable on Long Island.  Maybe this will make it's way to NH soon.

http://gigaom.com/2005/06/27/cablevision-to-sell-50-megabitss-service-in-long-island/

Russell Kanning

We have Roadrunner Cable in Keene 8)

FTL_Ian

JonM

Verizon is EVERYWHERE in New England.  FIOS is another matter.

Kat Kanning

tracysaboe

Why?

Isn't this a good thing for ComCast to have some decent competition finally?

TRacy

FTL_Ian

It's a GREAT thing.  The idiots down here in Sarasota govt are still debating whether to "allow" the competition or not.  Fucking bastards.

Letting VZ compete with Comacast will only make both of them better.

Ron Helwig

I'm a verizon wireless customer, but only because they were the only carrier that had the phone I wanted.

One problem with them is that they disable some Bluetooth profiles, effectively limiting its usefulness to what Verizon deems OK. For example, with some other carriers, you can hook up a laptop to the Internet through your Bluetooth phone - not so with some Verizon Bluetooth enabled/crippled phones.

Of course, more competition will only help make Verizon better. If another carrier were to have the HTC Universal, uncrippled, with WM5; I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

Damn.. I'm not a fan of Verizon, but 15mbps downstream and 2mbps up is just too good to pass up.

I could dig up some "Comcast is shitty" stories too.  However, I'm sure as hell not going to restrict myself to dialup because their policies blow.

I need speed!
;D ;D

tracysaboe

QuoteBluetooth

That's just because currently the customers and the industry hasn't developed a standard for blue-lazar technology yet.

I currently don't have any need to be that "hip" on all things technical, so that part really wouldn't matter to me.

Tracy

Ron Helwig

Quote from: tracysaboe on July 10, 2005, 07:31 PM NHFT
QuoteBluetooth
blue-lazar

Two different things.

Bluetooth is a wireless networking technology, commonly called a PAN (Personal Area Network). It is a short range radio that can be used to connect things like keyboards, mice, headphones, printers, phones, and computers together. It has been a standard for a couple years, but has new competition coming in wireless USB.

Blue Laser is a generic term for the next generation of DVD. It is supposed to hold significantly more data than the current DVDs do.

Yep, I'm a geek/techie!  :)

Pat McCotter