• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Books - cool store, great guy!

Started by Gard, March 22, 2008, 12:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Gard

Hey, all!

I received a really nice call from the owner of a new store in Concord called Liberty Books, just around the corner from McDonalds, off South Main St. His name is Jim, and he is going to carry a whole line of books ranging from Rothbard to Rand and Mises. He also has a large line of comic-oriented books, collections of Far Side material and Calvin and Hobbes. I mentioned to him that it might be really great for him to open the store to regular meetings of people who would like to get together and talk about some of these books, and have conversations about freedom, and events happening in NH. Perhaps the Concord Porcupines would be interested. I'll get you more information soon. Good guy, an FSP member, and an entrepreneur who supports the ideology. Not bad!

All the best, cats!

Gard!

Kat Kanning

Sounds really cool.  Here's the info I got.  I suggested he advertise on the Ridley Report also.

QuoteWe opened our bookstore in Concord this past Wednesday.
We are carrying a mix of things, including a number of books of interest to libertarians, FSP members, and others who value freedom.  We have in stock Dr. Ron Paul's Foreign Policy of Freedom and Freedom Under Siege. Also, James Bovard's Lost Rights, Attention Deficit Democracy, and Terrorism and Tyranny.  We have Mary Ruwart's Healing Our World In An Age of Aggression.  We also have Vin Suprynowicz's Send In The Waco Killers, The Ballad of Carl Drega, and The Black Arrow.  We have in stock Boston's Gun Bible, as well as Stephen Halbrooks' That Every Man Be Armed, Aaron Zelman and Richard Stevens, Death By Gun Control and The Tyranny of Gun Control, ed. by Hornberger and Ebeling.  We have Betrayal of the American Right by Murray Rothbard, and Speaking of Liberty by Lew Rockwell.  And more.

We will be stocking books on homeschooling.

We would like suggestions on titles to stock in our store.

We also have a mix of other interesting things, including Dover Thrift Classics, Klutz Press, and Woodstock Windchimes. We are also stocking a significant amount of graphic novels and comic book trade paperbacks, and have a comic book reservation service for any who are interested.

We will also be stocking a number of products made by New Hampshire businesses- White Mountain Kettle Corn is in stock, and we will soon have Granite Gravel chocolate from Winsome Forge, and Dorothy Timberlake candies.

We are currently open Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday from 10 to 6, and open Friday 10-7.  We are willing to change our hours somewhat to accomodate-give us a call.

Liberty Books is located at 75 Allison Street, Concord, NH 03301-2839.   Our phone number is 603-223-0335.

We have space enough in the store to host small meetings.

I would like to carry The New Hampshire Free Press in our store.  I was happy to see that it is now being distributed as a monthly paper.  Please call me for details.  Also, I am interested in buying advertising space in the NH Free Press if it is available. Thank you!

Jim Dodson
Liberty Books
75 Allison Street
Concord, NH 03301-2839
Phone 603-223-0335

SethCohn

I'll talk to him about Concord Porcs meetings... maybe start a early evening get together once in a while...

Jitgos

Oh man that's awesome! Just the kind of thing the liberty movement needs. If space to have meetings like you're talking about is available we definitely need to support him.

Ok I'm still in Indiana until this summer, but in my head I've already made the move. So I'm going to continue to use language like I did above where it sounds like I'm already a part of the community :) .

jaqeboy

Hey, I'm up at Liberty Books at 75 Allison Street in Concord and what a great store!!

Jim is an energetic fun guy and is setting up quite a store here! He has meeting space in the back of the store, too. Everybody ought to come up here and check this place out!

jaqeboy

Btw, his name is Jim Dodson and the store phone number is 223-0335. You can call him to see if he has your favorite book - if he doesn't have, he can probably get it.

Kat Kanning

Shoot, I forgot to bring copies of the NH Free Press there.

jaqeboy

Oh, yeah, Kat - he did mention that he'd definitely like to carry them there.

I can't say enough what a lucky break this is - a couple of us have been looking for venues for small meetings and there are so many issues with other places, mostly costs and restrictions on food and drink, as well as sales of items at events. Jim has assured us that he welcomes us to have meetings there - he just wants people to get in the habit of going there - and hopefully buying books there   ;D

Wolfwood

Yeah, I checked the place out with Jack.
   I was pleasantly surprised by the store's selection. If you like comics or graphic novels, it's a must-see! A wide selection of titles from DC/Marvel/Indie publishers,no back issues, though.

As a manga fan, though, I admit a little disappointment- enough volumes and titles to be intriguing, not nearly enough for a collector like me.
  Though, to be, fair, that obviously isn't his niche!

His selection of Liberty books is diverse, from Ron Paul to L. Neil Smith to Rothbard to...well, you get the idea. My only qualm was the near lack of (cheaper) paperback versions of titles. Us poor guys need to read, too!

I liked that the store had a variety of children's starter musical instruments, plus a wide variety of children's books, including titles from around the world(in English). The store itself has a pleasant, open feeling, which is nicer than most dusty used book stores I've been in. It really lends itself to a sense of community!
8)

KBCraig

Sounds like a great place. Can't wait to visit him!

Kat Kanning

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on April 05, 2008, 04:37 PM NHFT
Btw, his name is Jim Dodson and the store phone number is 223-0335. You can call him to see if he has your favorite book - if he doesn't have, he can probably get it.

Also, BTW, this makes the second good bookstore in state that will allow us to have meetings and will stock and special order for us. The other is Richard Mori's Just Read Books (formerly: Mori Books) at his new location on 215 South Street, Milford. Just had a meeting there a couple of weeks ago and he has a sunny corner of the store for small meetings and he has Wi-Fi. His telephone #: 732-0258.

Porcupine Realtor

The store is great!  We should all try to patronize it and help promote Jim's business.  He has a nice area in the back of the store for gatherings, meetings, readings, book signings, revolution organizing, whatever.  Liberty Books is a nice resource for all of us.  Go see it!

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on April 09, 2008, 01:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on April 05, 2008, 04:37 PM NHFT

Also, BTW, this makes the second good bookstore in state that will allow us to have meetings and will stock and special order for us. The other is Richard Mori's Just Read Books (formerly: Mori Books) at his new location on 215 South Street, Milford. Just had a meeting there a couple of weeks ago and he has a sunny corner of the store for small meetings and he has Wi-Fi. His telephone #: 732-0258.

Sad news on Mori's Just Read Books - he's decided to close the "bricks and mortar" store and go to all online and book shows. The overhead doesn't make sense to him anymore after a couple of decades of paying rent. He DOES have a lot of bookcases for sale!