• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving from Croatia?

Started by memenode, April 09, 2008, 07:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

memenode

I wonder how many people moved to New Hampshire from outside of the USA? I am from Croatia and while I currently couldn't afford the move, I'd be working on getting my biz and consequently monthly earnings up to speed with US economic standard and costs of living and then at some point put this into serious consideration. If I am ever to move, considering what it might take it seems to make sense to start asking questions earlier rather than rather.

You might ask what would moving accomplish? Well.. for one the site of the European Free State Project seems dead and they didn't even pick up a state. I personally don't even know which state in Europe would really be comparable to the limitedness of government in NH, perhaps none. They all seem to be strong liberal or social democracies. Switzerland may be peculiar in its neutrality and more direct democracy, but I found it surprising to hear that they have so much regulation of even ordinary things in life such as when not to wash a car... it turns the whole prospect on its head. Plus Swiss seems to be a very expensive life.

So it'd seem that NH is currently, the best place to go concentrate Liberty pursuers from all over the world, not just all over USA. No matter where people come from, if they can successfully "naturalize" (and I don't mean just in the sense the government means it, but in the sense of knowing English well already and having some background understanding of US history and current state, which is likely to be familiar to every freedom activist considering how much have americans played a role in modern times in various freedom movements), I think they could be useful contributors towards achieving the critical mass and critical push to achieve liberty in our lifetime.

So.. my question is basically, for starts, how hard would it be by your evaluation for a foreigner to move to NH? I probably require US citizenship, how hard and by what conditions would I be able to get it, especially considering I don't really have any inside connections nor much to offer that US government could find all that useful (heck.. I'm essentially coming in to *undermine* the US governments ;) ). Also, someone suggested I should just get a visa and move in and stay when visa expires - becoming a millionth or what illegal immigrant I suppose. :P How feasible or recommendable would that be? Also, getting a visa, while easier, still has some special requirements, right? I suppose I could come as a tourist?

Anyone had experience with this? I saw a couple of people who seem to speak some Croatian here even, maybe there are some fresh international movers here? :)

Thank you.

Kat Kanning

Dada speaks Croatian, but he didn't immigrate.

memenode

I see. It's interesting to see people speak a language of such a small and usually considered insignificant european country. :)

But anyway, I'm not really looking to hear from only people who moved from Croatia, but any other non-US country. Have there been any people who moved to New Hampshire, as part of the Free State Project, which weren't from US?

Thanks

PattyLee loves dogs

Most of the biological researchers in this country seem to be from ex-communist states. I've been in the field for 8 years, and in that time I've seen people who got citizenship easily (one who won the immigration lottery) and some that never did get it even with the major advantage of a Ph.D. and a job in a major lab. Most people get their citizenship if they can hang on to an H1 visa job, but they have to spend at least $5,000 in legal fees to do so (if you decide to fight your way through the INS red tape, go to the Nolo press website and get their book on INS law AND get a lawyer... nothing worse than "almost" getting citizenship, and lawyers do make mistakes).

Or you can go the 'easy' way and marry an American. (Usual disclaimers apply: "May cause headache, nausea, poverty, and death".)

Half my neighbors in Texas and a few in MN were illegal immigrants... the INS does a great job of keeping people from being productive, owning property etc. but they don't keep even the poorest out, let alone the well-heeled terrorists and spies.

memenode

Well, that looks bad to be honest. :(

Looks like INS is now called USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). I've read some articles on nolo.com and also took a look at http://www.h1visajobs.com/h1b_eligibility.htm and I don't even appear to be eligible for H1. Besides $5000 is quite a lot (not that I couldn't spare it over a while, but still, it adds up to all the other expenses associated with moving so far away).

I doubt I could get anyone in US to marry me.. how do you pull that off anyway? You could do it just on paper I suppose, but then they'll require proof of marriage and other BS.. it's just.. a mess..

Looks like those green card lotteries are my best chance of legally immigrating, which means that a chance is so slim I might as well plan without it.

Judging from what you say about illegal immigrants there are quite a few of them, BUT they are being harrassed which makes me wonder whether my situation would really be any better in US than it is in Croatia.. I currently have a small online business which doesn't earn me enough to even afford the fees associated with running a business, and that's only a sole proprietorship. In addition to normal income tax, business tax and even city tax (where the business HQ is) you have a forced health insurance and pension insurance tax (flat as in a certain amout per month). Add to that the necessity to have an accountant (adding an additional monthly cost) and after basic living expenses running a *registered* business becomes impossible for me at this point. So I am in, you could say, a "forced" state of civil disobedience - running an unregistered business and not paying taxes - what an "evil" man I am. :P

So.. I am, of course, working to get my earnings up to a point where registering will be an option, but as I've been getting more and more convinced about anarcho-capitalism, ideas that ultimately led me here, I started thinking.. maybe I shouldn't register. Maybe I should go and join you here instead rather than help perpetuate my government. Or maybe I should register offshore (which is tricky and risky).. I thought of registering in New Hampshire even before I move there (if ever)..

So that's basically the story.. I guess the choice now comes down to 1. Register in my country once able (all legal), 2. Register offshore elsewhere or in New Hampshire or 3. move to NH as an illegal immigrant with all the risks that bears.

How really risky would that be?

Thank you.

K. Darien Freeheart

I don't think anyone can answer that for you. No matter what route you take right now you're getting screwed. At least by choosing to move to New Hampshire you'd be an out of the system activist rather than just a victim of the system.

memenode

You're right, it's ultimately my question to answer and my responsibility. I'm merely on the lookout for potentially useful information based on experiences of others here.

About being an out of the system activist, even in NH as it is today I'd still in a way be within the US system. Even within NH there are such terrible things happening like people getting arrested for stupid things. If the only realistic way of me moving in is to become an illegal immigrant that probably means I couldn't legally register my business even in NH nor do anything else of the sort, so I'd have to accept those risks.

But before doing so I'd like a realistic assesment of those risks. Would the fact I'm with fellow liberty fighters in Keene (should I choose to move there, and that's where there seems to be the greatest ancap and CD concentration) make me, so to speak, less of a potential victim of the system there?

EDIT: Just to be more specific, what if USCIS decides to deport me a while after I move in? Should I just give it up and suffer through it (despite all that I invested into a new life in NH) or actually fight them on this? How can I fight them? How can I lessen the chances of such a situation happening in the first place?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Dave Ridley

hrvatska ima vise lijepa :)

but new hamsphire gives it a run for its money.  And at least we dont have those hi taxes.

memenode

David

Rochelle's husband, a gentleman from Sweden has legally immigrated.  Time consuming and personally frustrating for both of them. 
I agree with Kevin. 
I suggest visiting.  Try to come up for porcfest.  I will be happy to introduce you to Rochelle, and her and her husband may be able to help you figure the direction you want to go. 
If you decide to try the illegal route, we can try to help you find a place to live, and a job.  It helps to have portable income.  Some may even try to employ you.  If you are caught, I think the worst thing they do is imprison you for a while, then send you back home.  At best they will ticket you then tell you to show up for court, then you have to decide weather you will cooperate or not. 
Many immigrants on the USA southern boarder get legal permission to work her initially, usually short term, then stay past the time on the visa, green card, or permission. 

memenode

Thanks David. At this point even visiting would be a financial stretch, but some time later who knows, maybe I come and visit. For now the plan is to grow my business and maximize earnings so that I can have more options on the matter.

I'll be reading and researching in the mean time so that I am better equipped when the decision time comes (when I will be able to actually choose between staying here and registering, staying here and not registering (CD basically) or moving somewhere (like NH).

Thank you