• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question about government spending...

Started by lildog, July 14, 2005, 07:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lildog

Ok, this question has been tossed around a number of times and it seems everyone you ask has a different answer so I figured I?d put it out here for everyone to think about.

When the Budget Committee in Merrimack goes over the town?s budget we are told that if a line item is zeroed out the town (or school or village district) cannot spend money for that item? but if we leave $1 in an item then can shift funds from elsewhere and still use it as a line item to charge against.  Case in point? the maintenance department for the school needed a lawn mower as I believe they said the one they had was ready to die and they doubted it would last another year.  The School Board cut that line item out totally.  The Bud Com felt if they really do need it there should be $1 in the line so they can spend toward the mower if really needed.

Now here?s where the question comes in? If there is no line item for an item can the town (or school board or village district) still spend for an item if they have extra funds?

Merrimack already did that once last year? they built a trash transfer station (HUGE waste of money) which they after the fact found to be very cost ineffective so in an effort to try to save money they fired the contracted trash haulers and bought a couple tractor trailers (costing over a hundred thousands of dollars)  There was no line item for such a purchase so they charged it against the ?misc equipment? line which was the biggest stretch I?ve ever seen.  But now I?m seeing the town and the school board pulling this same stunt by allocating money toward something neither the Bud Com nor the voters approved.  The school board has allocated $20,000 and the BOS $10,000 (although they originally pledged $20,000) to the legal funds for NHcafe and the lawsuit against the state.  There is a conversation currently going about this on the MerrimackForum.org web site under the school thread but I?m interested in anyone from here?s taken on it.

cathleeninnh

They apparently have a "flexibility' mechanism built in that allows them to reapportion the money however they want. Then the line item budget has little meaning. I sure hope that the bottom line is inflexible. Is it?

How much flexibility should a town government have? Can a "misc" line be any size? Do you want to take all judgement away from the spenders? In what ways can it be limited?

So much to learn. 

Cathleen

lildog

From further discussion? the town and school both has a Legal Fund line item, which is what they are charging this expense against.  The bottom line of the budget hasn?t changed? they are taking this money from other places and just transferring it to this line item (which clearly says to me that there are other line items that have been over budgeted but that?s a different story).

But for the town to allocate money for a school related lawsuit? that just doesn?t seem legal.  That to me is like the school taking money that the voters approved to be allocated for the education of our children and using it for a lawsuit over town pension plans.

GT

Personally I think the $1 thing is just a way to get stuff past the taxpayers. Londonderry does the same thing. Flexibility wouldn't be an issue if these people were not spending like drunken sailors. Londonderry budgeted a pickup truck for lawn/field maintenance. The are spending 35,000 on the truck!

A side note on NHCafe.com Currently they have approximately 150,000 in tax payer money. Try getting any information on what they plan on doing with it....other than were gonna sue 'cause it's not fair. There is some press release scheduled for today. They are going to announce what law firm gets to walk away with a ridiculous amount of money.

GT

Quotewhich clearly says to me that there are other line items that have been over budgeted but that?s a different story
Londonderry's had a 1,000,000 left from last year.

Yes they overbudget and over spend.

hamptoninsider

RCSC just ruled in favor of the Town of Hampton in that they can move there money wherever they please as long as they don't overspend their default budget (2nd year in a row).  This is an SB2 town.  Merrimack was an SB2 and now falls under municipal charter law which is more dictatorial.

Rep. Gillick of Hampton may be sponsering legislation to limit Town Managers and Bds of Selectment from performing financial shenanigans in defaut budget scenarios.  Our Town  Manager and Bd of Selectmen axed 5 permanent firefighters and increased its legal from 135 k to 365k.  The firemen represent 249k.  Want to axe Town Manager and Town Attorney to bring back the firefighters.

lildog

Quote from: hamptoninsider on July 14, 2005, 09:17 AM NHFTRep. Gillick of Hampton may be sponsering legislation to limit Town Managers and Bds of Selectment from performing financial shenanigans in defaut budget scenarios.

Don?t get me started on default budgets? I?ve already blown my stack over them once when the chair of our school board openly admitted that they allow single one time expenses from within the prior years budget itself to be overlapped into the following years default budget? which when you add NEW ?uncontrollable? expenses you see a default budget which almost ever year comes within a thousand or two of the new years budget over loaded with NEW spending.  I think this year we had a default a coupe hundred more then the requested budget.  I could go on and on about default budgets but I?m going to hold myself back!

On a different note, does anyone know who that cute blonde is in the picture on the main page of this site?  Me thinks I may start showing up to protests if there are women like that there!   >:D :-* ;D

mvpel

That's our dear friend Katherine, who's even more delightful in person.

And don't worry, I won't tell Shannon you said that.   ;D

lildog

Quote from: mvpel on July 14, 2005, 01:15 PM NHFT
And don't worry, I won't tell Shannon you said that.? ?;D

Shush up you!    ;)