• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cities, villages, towns that do not have zoning

Started by slim, April 27, 2008, 09:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

I was wondering if anyone knows of a list of towns that do not have zoning in NH?

J’raxis 270145

Grafton. I think there are only a tiny handful of others.

Lloyd Danforth

Lempster, below Newport is said to not have zoning. That and Grafton are probably the most southern towns without it.

KBCraig

Remember that you have to worry about the county, too. If a town has no zoning, the county's regulations apply.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: KBCraig on April 28, 2008, 11:39 AM NHFT
Remember that you have to worry about the county, too. If a town has no zoning, the county's regulations apply.

Are you sure this is true in New Hampshire? Counties in most New England States have been reduced to mere lines on a map, or only a bit more (e.g., maintaining a county sheriff, but not much else).

John Edward Mercier

Counties have taxes... but not zoning. The State has a building code and controls groundwater... while municipalities sometimes tighten those specifications.

KBCraig

RSA 673:2 IV dictates a county planning board for counties in which there are unincorporated towns or unorganized places.

ReverendRyan

The law dictates lots of things. That doesn't make them true.

KBCraig

Quote from: The Right Reverend Doctor Pope Sir Ryan on April 28, 2008, 10:13 PM NHFT
The law dictates lots of things. That doesn't make them true.

Please don't ask me to go digging, because it's been a long time since the last time this came up. But I recall it's well-established that if a town or unincorporated place has no zoning ordinance or planning board, they automatically fall under the county planning board, and whatever building restrictions they might impose. It's one of the arguments in favor of incorporating and establishing a town planning board, and a zoning ordinance of "none".

Sorry, it's late, I'm tired, and this is a long-hashed issue here and on the FSP forum. I do know that there are towns/places/locations in Cöos County where this is the case: they have no zoning/planning of their own, so property owners are subject to the county board.

John Edward Mercier

Belknap has a commission, but not a board. And their land use planning has been marginal at best.

shiva888

Wentworth, NH not only has no zoning but no building inspector!

~shiva