• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Henry McKelroy booted from Jury for copy of Black's Law dictionary

Started by Dave Ridley, July 16, 2005, 10:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I understand this was in the nashua telegraph this weekend, heard about it from Henry himself but don't know many details.  It was a murder trial.   anyone want to look it up?

Dreepa

I searched google and Nashua telegraph and couldn't find anything.

Erethizon

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct--motherkilled-tria0715jul15,0,5537329.story?coll=ny-region-apconnecticut

Connecticut man found guilty of first-degree murder in NH case

July 15, 2005, 3:12 PM EDT

NASHUA, N.H. -- A jury on Friday convicted a Connecticut man of killing his girlfriend's mother in 2003.

William Sullivan, 20, of Willimantic, Conn., was convicted of first-degree murder in the beating and stabbing death of Jeanne Dominico.

Sullivan's lawyer, Paul Garrity, told jurors this week that Sullivan killed Dominico after snapping under stress and urged them to find him innocent by reason of insanity. But Assistant Attorney General Will Delker called Sullivan a "cold-blooded killer" and urged them to convict him of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder.

Prosecutors say Sullivan and Dominico's daughter plotted to kill the woman because she wouldn't allow them to live together.

Deliberations had started over on Thursday after a juror who dozed during testimony and kept trying to pass notes to the judge was kicked off the jury for bringing a legal dictionary into the jury room.

Former state legislator Henry McElroy was sent home on Thursday, and the jury was sent back to start its work all over again with an alternate juror.

Jurors already had spent nine hours deliberating Sullivan's case.

Prosecutors tried to get the judge to kick McElroy off the jury on Tuesday, after discovering that their own office previously investigated him for allegedly trying to tamper with a civil case in Merrimack County Superior Court.

McElroy served one term in the House of Representatives and lost his attempt for a second term last year.

His legislative career included co-sponsoring bills attempting to nullify the Patriot Act and the federal government's authority to levy income taxes in New Hampshire, and requiring the state to mint its own money and redesign its flag.

KBCraig

"Dozed during testimony"?

Having recently served as a juror during a federal civil trial (for medical malpractice), I have to say that the system is designed to bore jurors into a coma.

One very frustrating aspect of our deliberations was that we requested, but could not receive, transcripts of depositions that were read at trial. Very relevant testimony from the depostitions was placed on the overhead projector, while lawyers read select passages. The parts they didn't read were there for us to read, but they weren't entered into testimony. When we resquested those unread passages to aid us in our deliberations, we were called back down to the courtroom, where the lawyers again read the portions we'd already heard, and we were told we couldn't see anything not read into testimony, despite having seen parts of it with our own eyes.

I was the jury foreman. There was little opportunity for FIJA activism, since this was a civil matter.The outcome still sucked.

Kevin

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on July 17, 2005, 03:24 AM NHFT
"Dozed during testimony"?

Having recently served as a juror during a federal civil trial (for medical malpractice), I have to say that the system is designed to bore jurors into a coma.

One very frustrating aspect of our deliberations was that we requested, but could not receive, transcripts of depositions that were read at trial. Very relevant testimony from the depostitions was placed on the overhead projector, while lawyers read select passages. The parts they didn't read were there for us to read, but they weren't entered into testimony. When we resquested those unread passages to aid us in our deliberations, we were called back down to the courtroom, where the lawyers again read the portions we'd already heard, and we were told we couldn't see anything not read into testimony, despite having seen parts of it with our own eyes.

I was the jury foreman. There was little opportunity for FIJA activism, since this was a civil matter.The outcome still sucked.

Kevin

I find it tough to believe that Henry was dozing. AS for the legal dictionary, this is typical. It's happened before when people even mention the Constitution in court...

Russell Kanning

Dave Ridley

this is great to have coverage of henry but they are obviiously trying pretty hard to make him look bad!  I think henry and one or more of the Telegraph folks have bad relations.   BTW I have dozed at least 5 times in court during the last 5 days!  ok well it was all at the same trial...