• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Menno's weed thread

Started by Kat Kanning, May 05, 2008, 07:30 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

:D
http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/The_Forager/forager.html
Edible Plants Articles & FAQ's
Edible Wild Plants Questions & Answers

Articles from Forager's Harvest Newsletter:
(These articles are included in the book Forager's Harvest)
Review by Thomas J. Elpel

The Milkweed Phenomenon (from Volume 1, Issue 2. June-July 2001)
Making Your Own Apple Pectin (Volume 1, Issue 3. August-September 2001)
Highbush Cranberry (Volume 1, Issue 4. Fall-Winter 2001)
Hopniss: North America's best wild tuber? (Volume 2, Issue 3. Summer/Fall 2002)

It is hard to imagine that there could be any new discoveries in wild plant food research when there are so many great books and articles out there already. But much of what is in print is surprisingly inaccurate or misleading.

For example, young milkweed shoots are delicious as a potherb and taste much like asparagus. But according to the available literature, milkweeds contain a toxic, bitter alkaloid that has to be properly cooked out to render the plants safe to eat. The proper method for cooking is to plunge the herbs into rapidly boiling water for two minutes, drain the water, then repeat the process two more times. If all bitterness is gone then the herbs are safe.

But as you will read in the article The Milkweed Phenomenon: You Most Certainly Cannot Believe Everything You Read, milkweeds in most parts of North America don't contain the bitter alkaloid, and they can be cooked and eaten without any special preparations, or even eaten raw. Sam Thayer writes:

"The first time that I ate milkweed shoots, it was done with extreme care. I mean, extreme. I knew that the shoots were mildly poisonous when raw and that they would be terribly bitter and still a little toxic if not cooked properly. I knew that I had to boil them in several water changes, making sure that the shoots were covered with boiling instead of cold water - for the use of cold water would "set" the bitter principle in the vegetable. I also knew that this bitterness was caused by a toxic, milky latex. I knew all of this because I had read it in half a dozen books.

Not surprisingly, such elaborate and exacting preparation requirements, with such severe consequences if wrongly performed, caused me to put off trying milkweed for several years. When so many excellent wild vegetables exist, why waste my time with one that is described as "only marginally edible"? Or so I reasoned."

Over a period of time Sam Thayer started preparing milkweed greens with less and less caution, searching for some evidence of the bitter toxin in the plants, but never found any trace of bitterness, even when eating the young plants raw.

Thayer realized that the bitterness was geographical, found in some parts of the country, but not others, yet all the available literature originated in places where milkweeds were bitter. Many other plants have similar stories, Thayer pointed out, delicious in some parts of the country, but positively bitter and repelling in other places.

It was Sam Thayer's article that inspired me for the first time to try cooking and eating some milkweed greens (plunged into boiling water and cooked without changing the water). They were delicious, just like asparagus!

It is this kind of cutting edge research that made me a fan of Forager's Harvest. Unfortunately, Thayer discontinued Forager's Harvest after the Fall 2003 Issue (Vol. 3, No. 3). In the last issue he explained "When I started Forager's Harvest I did not intend to be the sole contributor. I have discovered over the last few years that there are far fewer people into this wild food gathering thing than I had originally imagined... certainly not enough to need or support a publication like the one that I envisioned. The lack of interest in food plants is disappointing, but it makes me want to teach more than ever." Thayer instead chose to focus his energy on writing a book, and the finished product was well worth the effort. Read more about the book The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants.

Also of interest, be sure to check out the Wild Food Adventurer Newsletter published by John Kallas is still going strong. It is an excellent wildfoods newsletter, and Sam Thayer has been a frequent contributor.

Pat McCotter

Thanks, Kat! This info helps a lot!

Kat Kanning

Great :)  I didn't know you were a forager.

Pat McCotter

It's easier than buying land and growing the plants!

BTW, do you have an Amazon buying link like amazon.freetalklive.com?

srqrebel

Dandelions are blooming! :wav:

Yesterday I ate my first batch of fried dandelion blossoms this season :)

On Sunday I spent most of the day seaching in vain for the fabled fiddleheads. I did buy some at the farmer's market in Keene on Saturday. They tasted almost identical to asparagus... yummy! ;D

P.S.- Kat, you sure know how to write attention-grabbing headlines! ;D ;D ;D

FTL_Ian

Kat Kanning

Oh well THAT never occurred to me.

David

Quote from: srqrebel on May 06, 2008, 10:20 AM NHFT
Dandelions are blooming! :wav:

Yesterday I ate my first batch of fried dandelion blossoms this season :)

On Sunday I spent most of the day seaching in vain for the fabled fiddleheads. I did buy some at the farmer's market in Keene on Saturday. They tasted almost identical to asparagus... yummy! ;D

P.S.- Kat, you sure know how to write attention-grabbing headlines! ;D ;D ;D

Kat does write a paper, the headlines are what grabs people.   ;D
I have heard of folks eating the leaves, but the flowers?!!

Pat McCotter

Well, not the same as eating them, but isn't there dandelion wine? Or is that just a song?

srqrebel

People do make dandelion wine.

Here is a recipe for delicious fried dandelion blossoms. I pan fry mine in peanut oil.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 06, 2008, 10:01 AM NHFT

no ... you best be usin theirs I guess :)

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 19, 2008, 11:28 AM NHFT

no ... you best be usin theirs I guess :)

OK, thank you!  :)

dalebert

Anarchy In Your Head is actually an Amazon associate, but for the life of me I don't know how to have a universal link like that. I've tried to find it in the documentation. I can create specific links for products and such, but not a universal link to buy anything. I think it must require some special status first, like either you have to sell enough stuph or else you have to pay for the option.

Russell Kanning

maybe they don't accept the word stuph