• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Border Patrol Checkpoint

Started by Kat Kanning, May 23, 2008, 08:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Rainey called Porc 411 to say there's a border patrol checkpoint right now:

I 93 southbound 4 miles before exit 32 which is Lincoln

doobie

Yuck!  What does one do if they are stopped at one of these?  Are you required to give them any information?  What if you are carrying and they demand you to give them your firearm?  Are you required by law to give it to them?  I'd be afraid the bastards wouldn't give it back or give me a receipt they took it.

anthonybpugh

just say only two things. 

Am I being detained? 

Am I free to go? 

J’raxis 270145

What the hell is a border checkpoint doing that far south of the bloody border? I remember reading about them doing one of these in Vermont, somewhere around 100mi south of the border. Any one coming into the country without gummint permission, and with two brain cells to rub together, is going to know to get off the Interstate at the first exit, not drive sixty miles down I-91, then get on I-93 and drive another twenty.

Kat Kanning

Beth says they're at the tollbooth on 93 now.

J’raxis 270145

So they'll be in Massachusetts by tomorrow?

doobie

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on May 23, 2008, 11:22 AM NHFT
What the hell is a border checkpoint doing that far south of the bloody border? I remember reading about them doing one of these in Vermont, somewhere around 100mi south of the border. Any one coming into the country without gummint permission, and with two brain cells to rub together, is going to know to get off the Interstate at the first exit, not drive sixty miles down I-91, then get on I-93 and drive another twenty.

My girl friend was stopped at one of those in VT...on Halloween while she was wearing a middle eastern costume a few years ago.  She doesn't have a passport and (obviously) doesn't carry her birth certificate with her.  They detained her until her dad went to her apartment, and brought them her birth certificate.  It also didn't help that the headscarf she was wearing takes 15 minutes to take off without ruining it or her hair.

ancapagency

I reckon folks got my two Porc411 reports on the same Border Patrol Checkpoint as Rainey called in.  The pictures weren't very good--all I had was a camera phone (my digital camera was in my other vehicle--fixed that now) and my camera man wasn't able to pull it off (I didn't want to try to drive, observe, and take pictures at the same time).

Good thing to remember when making these calls is the mnemonic "SALUTE"

Size -- How big, how many
Activity -- what are they doing
Location -- where are they
Unit -- who are they
Time -- when did you observe them, what duration
Equipment -- what stuff did they have with them

Try to observe those items when you see something like this, and call in your report to Porc411.  It's not always necessary information, but it's good practice and you never know what information may be useful.

I'm not saying your report is useless unless you get all this info--far from it.  Whatever info you can get out is great--and you obviously won't always be able to collect all this info.  But keep SALUTE in mind, practice it when you can, and it will make the Porc411 system that much more effective.

Also, any other information you may gather can be useful, especially pictures, recordings, video, names, descriptions of individuals, license plate numbers, etc.  Every piece of info is potentially useful.  Keep a notepad and pen in your vehicle to take notes (perhaps pull off the road when you're out of sight and write down what you remember).

Lessons learned for me:

*  Make sure camera is in car and has good batteries at all times.

* Make sure passenger is comfortable with operating camera--or, if possible, switch with passenger so I can take the pictures while they drive.

* Get hands-free device for phone w/ good microphone to facilitate Porc411 calls while driving

* Instruct passengers beforehand on methods and items of observation--perhaps (especially if multiple passengers) assign specific items to each passenger to be observed (e.g. passenger 1 counts vehicles and notes info about each--make/model/special vehicle equipment/markings/license #s; P2 observes and counts personnel, taking note of names/badges/descriptions as possible, etc.).

Last note--get in the practice of doing After Action Reviews.  After an event or incident, think about and discuss:  What did I do right?  What did I do wrong?  What can I do better next time?  How can I be better prepared in the future?

FTL_Ian

Next time this happens, if possible 2-4 activists should all load up in a car and go through the checkpoint asking the questions referenced above.  Come armed with cameras.

Raineyrocks

I had my camera ready to go but I spotted them while I was in the I-93 Northbound lane so I couldn't have taken any pictures anyway and I couldn't pull over because I was running late for a dentist appointment.  It looked like they did have someone pulled over and were searching their car though.  This was the best I could see.

I was stopped by them at the same place last year, they seem to like that area around Exit 32, anyways one of their guys just quickly looked in my van and asked if was just my husband and I, we said, "yes" and he said have a nice day and waved us through.  It was the first time I'd ever seen one of these so it caught me off guard big time.

The other day, about 4 1/2 hours later I was headed back down I-93 and it was pouring rain so all their border control vans, (white vans about 3 or 4 and a couple state trooper cars), were all still there but they weren't outside and didn't check me.  I guess they don't like the rain, I have no idea.  I have started carrying my camera with me a lot, I just need to charge my camcorder because I think that's better to carry around.

I asked several people around here why the border control is up there and they just say, it's normal but I couldn't get a direct answer as of why they are there.  Of course I have a good idea of why they are there but I wanted to see if anyone even cares and they don't seem to. 

(Below is off topic)

Last year I noticed a very large rv looking thing in my daughter's school parking lot which had Speare Memorial written on the side of it.  So when I got home I called the school and asked why it was there and at first the lady didn't know what I was talking about and I said, "for crying out loud, it's huge, has Speare Memorial Hospital written all over and it's in the school parking lot, (which is very small), and you don't know it's there?"  She became very defensive and said it's there for the Pre-k kids and I said why, well she really didn't seem to know. 

I saw it there about 5 or 6 times within the school year.  What the heck is that all about I wonder.
I should have asked to speak with someone that had more information but I was just dumbfounded that the front desk receptionist had no idea and she basically hung up on me.  I know I shouldn't have but I said to myself why aren't the pre-k parents calling, maybe they know what it's there for and kind of said, oh well it's their problem.  I know that wasn't pro-active but I felt so discouraged because I honestly believe by the receptionist's attitude with me that no one ever called and asked.  It made me mad and sad that people could be dazed like that.  I haven't seen it again this year when I drive past there; yet anyway.  If I do however I've made up my mind to go directly up to it and get answers from whomever is inside like I should have done last year.

error

It's Memorial Day weekend; the thugs like to rack up overtime extorting extra money out of holiday travelers.

KBCraig

Quote from: error on May 24, 2008, 11:48 PM NHFT
It's Memorial Day weekend; the thugs like to rack up overtime extorting extra money out of holiday travelers.

The Berlin Daily Sun reports that Berlin PD officers are "actively working" seatbelt checkpoints. In NH. Where there is no seatbelt law for adults.  ::)

Hey, they're getting big OT checks from DHS, and even managed to ticket a handful of 16-17 year old drivers, and a few parents too.  ::) ::)

Pat McCotter

Yeah, last year two of Concord PD were standing at the light on D'Amante at Loudon Rd. ticketing cars with underage no buckled. This is where the makk is located.

Pat McCotter

rainey, I found this on Speare  Memorial

New Hampshire in Focus
Published 2/28/2008 - 2008 Issue #03
by Christopher Dunstan, OT with Michele Barney Hutchi

Merrily Motoring Along

A 34-foot motor home is parked just outside the gymnasium at Russell Elementary School, located in the rural foothills of central New Hampshire.  Inside, nine-year-old Andrew is diligently tying a series of knots in order to set-up a Tyrolean Traverse across the length of the motor home's mid-section, which has been converted into an occupational therapy gym.  Andrews's face clearly exhibits his focus and determination.  Once the line is set, he steps into the harness and clips himself on the line, ready to begin the next stage of the challenge.

For Andrew, the Tyrolean Traverse is a reward for good behavior in the classroom-a modifier and motivator to help address behavioral problems related to his Attention Deficit Disorder.   For his principal, Susan Blair, Andrew's occupational therapy sessions in Speare Memorial Hospital's Mobile Gym represent opportunity and success.  "The resources are phenomenal in the Mobile Gym," says Blair.  "We could never have offered this in the school, especially on a winter's day.  I have noticed a huge change in Andrew in the classroom as a result of his OT sessions."

Leveling the Playing Field
    Located in Plymouth, New Hampshire, Speare Memorial Hospital (SMH) is a critical access hospital serving 17 area communities.  Speare's School Occupational Therapy Program was developed in direct response to local school district needs with one therapist providing services to children at three elementary and two pre- schools. Rolled out in September 2006, the Mobile Gym has enhanced the program, essentially leveling the playing field for all children being serviced, regardless of a school's financial or facility resources. It provides a higher level of intervention previously unavailable due to space and access limitations.

Prior to the use of the Mobile Gym, therapy was conducted in a corner of a library, office space, or even hallways. Frequently interrupted, students' ability to make significant progress toward their goals was impacted.  The equipment and supplies necessary to provide therapy were limited to what could be carried into the school or stored in a small closet, which resulted in students in different schools receiving different approaches to intervention.

"The Mobile Gym makes it so much easier to provide the students an appropriate therapy experience as all the tools are available," notes Thornton Elementary School Principal Jon Bownes.  "Before, finding space was our biggest issue and sessions took place all over the school."  Now, each child has access to a higher quality of intervention that can target specific sensory channels while minimizing distractions during therapy sessions.

Inspired Design
    The idea for SMH's Mobile Gym was triggered by a discussion with a parent who understands the limitations placed on school-based therapies.  She mentioned the concept of TumbleBus, modified school buses used as physical education classrooms, after-school gymnastics, or for birthday parties.  Further research inspired the idea of a mobile space that could be used as an occupational therapy gym and be driven right to a school.

The plan began to take shape in the form of a retrofitted motor home that would support SMH's initiatives to enhance access to quality healthcare in the community. Significantly larger than a school bus, and more suitable for the demands of New Hampshire winters, a motor home offers a tremendous amount of storage space, and enables equipment and supplies to be at one's finger tips. 

A Dream Becomes Reality
    Thanks to a donation given to SMH to support community health initiatives, a Class A motor home with a slide out, was purchased, renovated and modified.  The gym area has a steel frame that was specially built and mounted to the chassis floor and supports multiple pieces of suspended equipment. The classroom in the back portion of the motor home allows children to easily move from gross motor skills to a seated activity where fine motor tasks prepare them for handwriting.  As needed, the Mobile Gym can further enrich the environment with music, scents, and dimmed lighting.

Students who access the Mobile Gym are able to focus more fully on a challenge and increase the occurrence of specific adaptive responses.  The planning process required to cross a suspended obstacle course, using four to five different types of swings, has provided children with the opportunity to learn new ways to move.  Many students appear to gain a greater awareness of their bodies in space within a couple of months, due to the capability of the gym to tailor activities to their specific needs and tolerance on any given day.

Notes Principal Bownes, "It is their special spot, and the students look forward to going out to the Mobile Gym."

Children step back into the classroom with a greater sense of self and how they can move. School professionals better understand sensory integration in practice and how it is so important to a healthy school day. 

Christopher Dunstan is Speare Memorial Hospital's school-based occupational therapist and a certified evaluator for the Sensory Integration Praxis Test.  Michele Barney Hutchins is the community relations director at Speare Memorial Hospital.