• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Subway: "No homeschools allowed"

Started by MTPorcupine3, May 25, 2008, 02:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ancapagency

from my MySpace blog after reading this story:

QuoteI'm not a big fan of Michelle Malkin, but read this post by her: Subway--no home schools will be accepted

I went to the Subway contest rules site, and sure enough, they've explicitly excluded home school students.

So, I went to their feedback site, end sent them the following email:

Quote"I was extremely disappointed to learn that you specifically excluded home school students from eligibility on your "Every Sandwich Tells a Story" contest.

For years, I have enjoyed the Subway Club on cheese bread, minus the standard veggies, but with spinach and shredded carrot. I have rarely deviated from this order, as I enjoy it a great deal. I have purchased it many times in various stores in NC, I purchased in in your Tuskegee, AL store (which is probably the cleanest, most efficient, and friendliest restaurant in that town) at least twice a week for 2 years, and frequently at assorted stores here in NH. It's been a while, but I remember a time when I was really on a Subway kick, and ate the above sandwich every day for two weeks (that would have been in NC).

Sadly, due to your apparently discriminatory policy against home school students, I will no longer be able to enjoy my favorite sandwich. I will miss it.

I will soon (within the next day or two) begin to investigate your competitors, in hopes that they can provide a substantially similar sandwich. I never felt the need to do so in the past, but now... "

I doubt it will have much effect, but it's honest. I actually drove past a Subway down the road a piece from my house, and thought about stopping to get my sandwich (it's been a while since the last time). I figured I'd probably stop in Tuesday to get one while I'm headed that way again for another errand (yes, sometimes I do plan minor things out days ahead of time. I'm weird. I get it.). Guess that ain't gonna happen now.

I have a few long-running boycotts (obviously they aren't working, but at least they aren't getting my money) due to matters of principle. For example, I have always liked pizzas from Dominoes and Pizza Hut. But I don't buy from them anymore. Why not? Because both have fired drivers who defended themselves with legal firearms against people who were blatantly trying to kill them. I mean it--in both cases I know of, the drivers had CCWs, and the attackers said (while pointing guns at the drivers, and in one case, running directly at the driver) "I'm gonna kill you!" The drivers fired their weapons to defend their lives, and were then fired. So I sent letters to the corporate HQs, which I'm sure were tossed in the trash--I never received a response from either.

Now let me be clear. I don't dispute the right of the businesses involved to discriminate or to have any policy they like (provided they don't initiate force or fraud). If Subway wants to have policies that discriminate against home schoolers, and Dominoes and Pizza Hut want to have policies that discriminate against self-defense, that is withing the rights of the owners. But I disapprove, and thus will not be giving them my money--despite the fact I really do enjoy their products.

dalebert

No more Subway for me. I'll write them.

error

I rarely eat at Subway anyway, since I don't really care for their sandwiches, but after this I'll change "rarely" to "never."

dalebert

Ew, cartoon idea! I'll try to get this one up quickly as a bonus cartoon in the blog section.

John Edward Mercier

I think your going to find its due to corporate tax law ramifications. Big Brother has been coming down hard on deductions.

feralfae

Or, it may be because home schoolers have consistently won all the story and writing contests, and have thus become a cliche, so by excluding home schoolers, maybe Subway thinks it will give hope to the mediocre and expand the audience of participants.
;D  My guess, and a great rumor to start, BYW.   ;D >:D
ff

Vitruvian

Quote from: feralfaeOr, it may be because home schoolers have consistently won all the story and writing contests, and have thus become a cliche, so by excluding home schoolers, maybe Subway thinks it will give hope to the mediocre and expand the audience of participants.

Somehow I doubt Subway's officers hold any ill will toward home-schoolers; it seems more likely that they were concerned with getting some bang for their buck from this contest.  If a home-schooler were to win, Subway wouldn't gain much in increased brand exposure by donating money to his family.

Puke

I think Vitruvian is right. I'm sure it has something to do with the winning kid's school gets money or some shit.

Kat Kanning

All the more reason to boycott them...they're giving money to the schools.  :P

Puke

Quote from: Kat Kanning on May 26, 2008, 08:36 AM NHFT
All the more reason to boycott them...they're giving money to the schools.  :P

Aye. I didn't mean to sound approving. I never liked any contest where the winning kid's school gets something.
I always wondered why companies did those contests? When I was in school I could give a fuck about what "my school" got out of me winning a contest.
I guess it motivates the teachers to in turn motivate the kids to enter the contest.

I can se it now..."If you don't win children the school won't get a new vending machine for the teachers lounge. And if we teachers don't get Twinkies; then it will be a very harsh semester for all of you..."

dalebert

Considering the complications, the comic I was going to do may not work. I'm going to hold off for now at least.

error

If I were running a contest, I would exclude public school students.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: dalebert on May 26, 2008, 09:02 AM NHFT
Considering the complications, the comic I was going to do may not work. I'm going to hold off for now at least.

Subway got to Dale! They "convinced" him it wouldn't be healthy to do this comic! :o :o

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Puke on May 26, 2008, 08:39 AM NHFT
I always wondered why companies did those contests? When I was in school I could give a fuck about what "my school" got out of me winning a contest.

They are pandering to parents' sense of "civic pride".  You probably weren't making the buying decisions as much as they were at that time in your life.