• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Religulous [CAUTION: could offend]

Started by Puke, June 08, 2008, 08:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

K. Darien Freeheart

Pat K

grasshopper

I do't get it, what is wrong with believing in the creator of everything, the creator of the big bang?  I don't know why he Bill Mahr) hates himself either.  I just don't get it.
   The mind that alters, alters all.  :P ::)

Vitruvian

If by "wrong" you mean incorrect, inaccurate, or false, then believing in such things as the "creator of everything" is wrong.

kola

the big bang theory always gives me a chuckle..

its rationale is like a tornado blowing over a junkyard and producing a 747 jet plane.

sandm000

Kola are you confusing the creation of life and the creation of the universe?

Caleb

Quote from: sandm000 on June 11, 2008, 04:09 PM NHFT
Kola are you confusing the creation of life and the creation of the universe?

I wondered that too. The Big Bang theory has always seemed very consistent and harmonious with the concept of God to me.

ByronB

Looks funny to me but I'm sure a lot of people will be offended who take their religion a lot more seriously then I do... about all I believe is that there is a God B/C life accidentally coming into existence and evolving to the state it is now just seems anti-intellectual, and as far as a personal God... he must speak to me through my conscious (which I follow 'cause it just seems "right"), nothing else really matters to me because there isn't much of a way to prove it, welcome to my religion.

sandm000

QuoteB/C life accidentally coming into existence and evolving to the state it is now just seems anti-intellectual

Could you explain that some more?  This sounds like one of those "Violating Thermodynamics" arguments, where the people making the claim don't understand said claim.

ByronB

Quote from: sandm000 on June 12, 2008, 08:34 AM NHFT
QuoteB/C life accidentally coming into existence and evolving to the state it is now just seems anti-intellectual

Could you explain that some more?  This sounds like one of those "Violating Thermodynamics" arguments, where the people making the claim don't understand said claim.

I'd hate to get into a debate about this but I guess I asked for it...
Essentially my reasoning is that life that can reproduce it's self is WAY too complicated to have come into existence on it's own (then you can factor in other things that such as eyes that require a lot to function at all), right now scientists cannot even synthesize all the amino acids necessary for life (and a few they can synthesize they end up with a lot of ones in the wrong "hand") yet I am supposed to believe that all these components necessary for life somehow self-assembled? I'm not going to expect everyone to agree with me or get pissed when they don't but that is the essence of my belief... and the biggest reason I do believe in some sorta' God.

sandm000

Quote from: ByronB on June 12, 2008, 12:57 PM NHFT
Essentially my reasoning is that life that can reproduce it's self is WAY too complicated to have come into existence on it's own (then you can factor in other things that such as eyes that require a lot to function at all), right now scientists cannot even synthesize all the amino acids necessary for life (and a few they can synthesize they end up with a lot of ones in the wrong "hand") yet I am supposed to believe that all these components necessary for life somehow self-assembled? I'm not going to expect everyone to agree with me or get pissed when they don't but that is the essence of my belief... and the biggest reason I do believe in some sorta' God.
I believe that these are the salient points from your post:

• Life that reproduces itself is too complicated to have sprung up on its own.
  • Eyes have a lot of parts that don't function without each other
  • scientists can't synthesize all the amino acids

To your first point there are a number of chemical cycles that feed on themselves, they are called autocatalytic.  The concept behind such a cycle is that the end product facilitates the formation of more end product. There are inorganic cycles that happen in laboratories with out any real design or intelligence on the part of the experimenter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briggs-Rauscher_reaction I'm not trying to say these guys weren't smart, I'm saying that they didn't need to be smart to run the reaction, it would have happened if anyone had put that mixture together, it'll work if you do it as well.  Since the ATP cycle (the basis for physical energy in the human body) is a similar cycle you could expect that as long as all the required chemicals are present then the reaction would occur without any intelligence making it happen.  It's a question of chemistry not theology.  I can introduce you to more and more complex pathways and systems until you either accept no higher power was needed to undergo chemical change, or you reject one of the sciences.http://www.sciforums.com/Self-reproducing-systems-and-the-origin-of-life-t-49451.html

The second claim relies on the complexity of the human eye to prove the existence of a divine power.  If one of the "parts" of the eye is missing the eye doesn't function and would be worthless from an evolutionary point of view. But consider both color blind humans (as they are missing "parts" of their eyes) and are not completely useless, as well as the simple dog, whose eye doesn't see in color, they too are missing parts of their eyes but they can see just fine, well enough to hunt even.  Also even before eyes evolved, eyespots were the great advent of the day, a simple cell, which says light? or Dark? as you can see on the ends of these starfish arms, the yellow spot is the "eye" which can only sense light and dark, and these animals do quite wll, they don't have to have a complete or complex eye to  give them more information about the world.  So the point here is the complexity of the eye does not need to be divine.

And finally the easiest point:
Scientists can and have synthesized all of the standard amino acids found in humans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid_synthesis
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/synthesis/C1C/nitrogen/alpha-amino-acids2.shtm
You can even buy all of them online
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=VhY&q=l+amino+acid+for+sale&btnG=Search
Admittedly these amino acids are derived from natural sources (for the most part) but it's only because the cost of fabricating the same number of acids exclusively by chemical means is cost prohibitive.

ByronB

Quote from: sandm000 on June 12, 2008, 03:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: ByronB on June 12, 2008, 12:57 PM NHFT
I believe that these are the salient points from your post:

• Life that reproduces itself is too complicated to have sprung up on its own.
  • Eyes have a lot of parts that don't function without each other
  • scientists can't synthesize all the amino acids

Yep, you got it... and I'm still not convinced (not that you didn't put up a good argument), it's just that a few autocatalytic reactions are FAR from a self-reproducing form of life and I have personally seen scientists make idiots out of themselves trying to explain this necessary part of evolution, throwing in such shoddy statements as "well me KNOW it happened", and even saying it was possible aliens may have supplied Earth with the beginnings of life... completely ridiculous.

Now here is why I am quite skeptical of hypothesizes (I like to call it the evolutionary hypothesis when I get in a feisty mood) scientists come up with, their reputation and funding, if a regular scientist were to mention some evidence of creation he would be shunned by the entire scientific community and probably lose all his/her funding, to me this fact makes the entire scientific community non-credible on this issue and since I don't have enough time or resources (or even care enough) to hammer out the facts I believe what makes the most sense to me right now.

However far from making this a divisive issue I usually like to point out that it really doesn't matter at all, this isn't part of our history that we are bound to repeat, hence we can't learn anything practical from it and everyone would be best to put it behind them (on a side note I can't think of any one more hotly debated issue online then creationism VS evolutionism) and get on to more practical things.

Just my take on things...

Vitruvian

Quote from: ByronBif a regular scientist were to mention some evidence of creation he would be shunned by the entire scientific community and probably lose all his/her funding, to me this fact makes the entire scientific community non-credible on this issue

If you've some "evidence" for creation, I would love to see it.

grasshopper

Bill Mar is a self hating Homosexaule, I'm not saying this to be mean, I have Gay friends and they are NOT self hating anymore.  They had problems for a while when they were younger going through puberty.  They Got over it.   God made us in His Image.  That means Homosexaules are made in Gods image also.  God loves them and he made them how they are. 
   Christians love sinners, hate the "sin", (what ever that means). It is because we Christians stopped the Holacost, allowed all people to live by whatever means they feel like living at. It is because the CHristians love sinners and wrong doers that "they" (redicle communists and usefull fools) have gained power.  Bill Mahr should stop attacking the people that are keeping him and others from being thrown into a gas chamber.  Never forget it is American Christians that flattened Germany.  When non christians attack the very people that made it possible to do "what they do", it angers us to no end.
   There is an underlying theam to all of his stuff.  It is "ya don't like it?  Awww what are you going to do about it?"
  Let me ask you guys this.  If God and christians are put down and made marginable, who will pick up the slack? Good or evil?  It is when Christians sit down and shut up that the trains roll and the crematorians fire up.  Never forget it!  Love thy neighbor or "Death solves all problems, no person, no problem"!  Josef Stalin