• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

DUI roadblock Chesterfield

Started by David, July 24, 2008, 12:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

It was in a radio newsblurb.  I missed when it was supposed to be, I believe this was the 'legally required notification', rather than an event that already occured.  I believe it will be within the next couple of days. 

David

Found this in the Keene Sentinel. 

Sobriety checkpoint planned

For second straight year, Chesterfield is chosen site
By David P. Greisman
Sentinel Staff
Published: Thursday, July 24, 2008
CHESTERFIELD — The characteristic flashing blue lights won't be approaching from behind, but signaling from ahead.

Drivers passing through Chesterfield at some point this month will come upon a sobriety checkpoint set up as a collaboration among the town's police department, the Cheshire County Attorney's Office and N.H. State Police.

The checkpoint will be for six hours on one July day.

Officials won't say where they will be or when they will be there, but they say it's important people know why they're doing what they're doing — to prevent them from driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

"Summertime is a very busy time on all of our highways," said Chesterfield Police Chief Lester C. Fairbanks. "Statistically, as far as accidents and DWIs, it's one of our more active times of the year."

This will be the second straight year that the checkpoint has been set up in Chesterfield.

"The last time we did this, enough arrests were made early on where we had to shut it down for a while to have enough people back at the police department," said Cheshire County Attorney Peter W. Heed.

"The concern isn't so much the number of arrests as it is making people aware and reducing the number of DWIs on our highways."

Word of last year's checkpoints spread quickly, Fairbanks said.

"We found that within a half hour, 45 minutes, every bar in Brattleboro got a phone call," he said.

Most of the police interactions will last less than two minutes, except in cases where officers discover suspected drunken drivers or other offenses, authorities said.

"The checkpoint allows the officers to react to whatever they see," Heed said. "If they see evidence of some other violation or crime, they're allowed to react to that."

But the effect of the checkpoint lasts much longer, authorities said.

"We hear about these things for weeks after," Fairbanks said.

"All this is getting people to buy in, to understand that they travel that road and they're only protected by some invisible line.

"They want that road to be as safe as we do," he said. "This is a reminder that we're out there, we're looking for these things, and we want your help."

The checkpoint, for a majority of people, will be an easy, quick experience, Heed said.

"It's a chance for citizens to interact with members of law enforcement in a positive way," Heed said. "They'll chat with you: 'How are you doing?' 'Where were you that evening?' 'Please drive safely.'

"People care," he said. "They don't want drunk drivers on the road — or people impaired by drugs — for their own safety."

David Greisman can be reached at 352-1234, extension 1439, or dgreisman@keenesentinel.com

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: David on July 24, 2008, 12:22 PM NHFT

"It's a chance for citizens to interact with members of law enforcement in a positive way," Heed said.

Notice he didn't say it's a chance for law enforcement to interact with citizens in a positive way.

Translation: "Yeah, if they bring us positive interactions (read:smiles, donuts and sexual favors) we wont kidnap them and hold them hostage"

Oooooo :angry4: :angry4: :pissedoff:

FTL_Ian

Ok, we've never had this before - it's always happening in Manch.  Any ideas?

David

I recall one happening before, also in chesterfield.  I tried to find it, but couldn't.  Both then and now, the speculation was that it would be on route 9.  The previous one, maybe last year, I went all the way to Brattleboro, it wasn't there. 

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: David on July 24, 2008, 01:08 PM NHFT
I recall one happening before, also in chesterfield.  I tried to find it, but couldn't.  Both then and now, the speculation was that it would be on route 9.  The previous one, maybe last year, I went all the way to Brattleboro, it wasn't there. 

Threads about this happening in Manchester, including ideas on how to deal with it:—
http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=14643.0
http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=14795.0

David