• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Silver overseas..

Started by memenode, August 06, 2008, 07:44 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

memenode

Hi,

I was wondering if there's anyone with silver coins who could arrange shipping overseas, to Europe.. I would provide the address and pay for the shipping which can be standard mail (I can wait).

I'm looking to buy up to 5 ounces if that can be shipped with sufficient discretion (it's crossing borders so we don't want anyone snooping them up...).

Thanks

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: gu3stI was wondering if there's anyone with silver coins who could arrange shipping overseas

Are you looking for coins specifically or do you mean rounds which are circular, but not legal "money" and with no signifigant historical value? What about the regtangular pieces I call "wedges"?

memenode

Well, anything goes actually, so long as it can discreetly fit into an envelope. I'm looking for just pure silver ounces. Whether it has historical value or any other extra value or not. I suppose it's better not if it would add to the cost. :)

So yeah, rounds, wedges or any shapes are fine, but prefferably they'd be measurable as one piece equaling one ounce.

Thanks

doobie

well worst case is you find someone who knows where to find a bunch of dimes or nickels... and ship them...  convert the cost from us $ in dimes/nickels....to the pound... and the amount will be so insignificant they won't care about duties.

PowerPenguin

Why the foreign buying? Too much taxation and/or "national security" spying? (Just curious)

memenode

Quote from: doobie on August 06, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
well worst case is you find someone who knows where to find a bunch of dimes or nickels... and ship them...  convert the cost from us $ in dimes/nickels....to the pound... and the amount will be so insignificant they won't care about duties.

Hm, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm not looking for USD dimes and nickels.  :)

Quote from: PowerPenguinWhy the foreign buying? Too much taxation and/or "national security" spying? (Just curious)

There aren't any coin shops here. The closest one is in the neighboring country so I'd need a passport and transportation to get there which would end up being more expensive than foreign shipping. Another option I know of is buying from banks or having some jewelry mint it for me, but both options are much more expensive than the actual price of silver should be. And if I were to buy from sites like ebay there's an issue of trust. I've seen some supposedly silver coins being sold on a local ebay-like sites which are apparently frauds. They say something like "1000" quality silver, which is impossible. It's usually .999.

So I was recommended to ask here cause there may be some silver dealers in NH. They're probably more trustful, would sell at current silver prices (+ shipping or some small provision if need be) and we can arrange the deal directly (via PM). I'm hoping there is. :)

Thanks

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'gu3st'Hm, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm not looking for USD dimes and nickels.

Some older US coins contained silver in various percentages. A $0.25 piece may have had a a 1/4 ounce of silver in it. Today, that silver is worth about $4.14 yet the face value (and because it's government money, the LEGAL value) is $0.25 so the declared value would be much lower than the actual value.

John Edward Mercier

Not in a foreign country.
US laws and valuations due not pertain to foreign governments.
The government there could declare it at any value they choose, from face to market to ???.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Kevin Dean on August 07, 2008, 08:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: 'gu3st'Hm, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm not looking for USD dimes and nickels.

Some older US coins contained silver in various percentages. A $0.25 piece may have had a a 1/4 ounce of silver in it. Today, that silver is worth about $4.14 yet the face value (and because it's government money, the LEGAL value) is $0.25 so the declared value would be much lower than the actual value.

Pre-64 US silver coins (half, quarter and dime) were 90% silver. Thus $1.00 face value contained about .71 ozt of silver.

memenode

Oh I see.. though I'd prefer actual full silver coins or any other form, if possible..

Thanks

PowerPenguin

It seems like you just want to buy some generic bullion. If you can, I'd order from Apmex.com. You'll have to check to see if they ship to your country, though. I'm in the US so I never bothered to check to see if they ship internationally...

Brandon

In addition to Apmex, Bullion Direct is another site you might want to try.

memenode

Thanks, but unfortunately neither of those allow non-US residents to even sign up. There's no option for "country".

Yeah, I'm looking for the normal bullion. I was thinking maybe someone in NH here would have some for sale and be willing to ship overhere. Again, all shipping costs are on me so it shouldn't cost a seller anything compared to selling someone on the spot, except maybe a little time which you could also charge a reasonable fee for if you'd like.

Thanks

PowerPenguin

do you require that it be in your physical possession? If not, there are places like bullionvault.com which are known to be very reliable and affordable.

memenode

Yes, actually, I hope that'd be possible. I think that's the safest way.

I registered at bullionvault and I'd use it as a last resort, but the safest way is to have it in physical posession.