• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Another store n' ignore box for sale

Started by Dave Ridley, September 06, 2008, 09:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I have another store n' ignore disaster supply box ready for sale.   It's the same price as the first one I sold recently.  The next one will probably be pricier.

Here's background info on this project/product:

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.0

And here's the manifest:

200 rounds soft point 7.62 x 39 ammo:  $50
400 cofee filters:  $4
1 roll tp:  30 cents
1 roll of aluminum foil: $2
approx 2 lbs non iodized salt: $1
approx 2 lbs iodized salt:  $1 
400 matches $1.30
100 paper plates $2.00
approx 150 3 hr tea candles:  $9.00
80 tampons:  $12 
2 medium sized bottles of bleach (one needs to be stored in your fridge for it to maintain an inedefinite shelf life, the other can stay in the box but will probably go bad after about two years.  Unfortunately there was no legal water purification method I could find that has an indefinite shelf life.  It's the one item in this box which has to be replaced; but water is the most important thing and the box cannot ignore that).
20 paper bowls  $2.00
2 rolls paper towells, some dispersed to absorb moisture:  $2.00
honey  10 lbs: $30
4 sponges $2
3 boxes tissue paper: $3.00
about 50 plastic bags: $1.00
plastic clear tape, rippable by hand: $3.00
8 pounds wheat berries: $8
container: 5.00

Total: $140

If you'd like to make customizations just lemme know.  I can take some things out and add others.

error

Water filters can be stored indefinitely but the cartridges have to be changed eventually after enough use, and they're expensive compared to bleach. I have one just laying around, though. :)

slim

Most water in the US can be made safe by simply boiling the water. A pot to boil water would be a good thing to have even if the only water that you can find is tainted boiling it would be better then dieing from dehydration.

A little trick that I was taught in Boy Scouts was how to boil water over a fire in a paper cup. Normally you would think the paper would catch fire long before the water reached a rolling boil but it is possible.

If you are going to have a kit one thing I would suggest is a map and compass. The map does not have to be professional it could be your own scribblings or better yet a print out from one of the numerous map sites for example the Terraserver http://terraserver-usa.com/ has some nice maps I would suggest a map with elevation so you can plan for the hike ahead. It gets to be a pain when you are following a map without any elevation and come across a 40 foot cliff.

One other thing I would have in a kit would be a good sharp knife. I would never trek anywhere without a knife. Some people would also say rope is a essential but if you can find vines then you can make your own rope.

slim